Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:32 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times

Advertisements

AnonChick: Thanks for the recipe! If I get my cholesterol levels to normal (ever???), I can re-incorporate tahini and the other things I used to love. Right now, I'm just a bit too scared to go outside the box with the heart scare and my numbers.... Sounds good, though!

For my oatmeal, I do something similar, but I add in (Trader Joe's) multi-grain oats in with the plain oats. Usually, I have fruit around, and where I live they grow most of the strawberries for the nation, so we are overloaded with strawberries, and I often cut up about five or six of them into pieces and put them in the oats. I just mix it up, cook, and it's sweet from the strawberries. Sometimes I actually put a little molasses on it, too, because it is very high in calcium. I might put on some soy or other non-dairy milk, but because I grew up never using milk, my foods didn't contain milk, so I'm just used to not using it. Yeah, oatmeal is a great, healthy hearty meal.

I actually just got a load of mushrooms today and have a potluck tonight, so I'm trying to figure out something to use with what I have in the house (no asparagus)...not sure how I'll work that one out.

My apologies to those who are animal activists (I, too, love all animals), only I guess I never really thought about "vegan" as being synonymous with animal rights - I thought all kinds of people participated in animal rights, not just vegans. (Sorry - I'm seriously not into politics...) I should have named this thread "Plant-based" but I hope people get the gist of it after awhile.

Yes, NewEnglandGirl, onions become sweet when you cook them and give a little "zip" to the flavor. However, I do admit I was thinking of not adding them to this soup, so I think it would be a lovely soup without onions.

As for Yams vs. Sweet Potatoes. Actually, it was just last week that my daughter and I looked up loads of veggies (I do have the "Nutrition Almanac," too, but she used her iPhone to grab the info more quickly). We specifically compared yams and sweet potatoes. Yams are good, but sweet potatoes (surprisingly to me) were superb!

Just a little section from something I found (I don't know where my kid found her info):
Yams Vs. Sweet Potatoes for Nutritional Value:

Vitamins
Sweet potatoes have been classified as an "excellent source of vitamin A" and "a very good source of vitamin C," according to the World's Healthiest Foods website. In fact, the vegetable delivers a whopping 769 percent of your daily recommended value of vitamin A. It also delivers 65 percent of your vitamin C and 29 percent of vitamin B6. Unfortunately, yams do not provide nearly as much vitamin A as sweet potatoes. In fact, the root vegetable provides only 3 percent of your daily allowance. It does, however, deliver 27 percent of your daily vitamin C allowance and 16 percent of your vitamin B6 allowance.

Minerals
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of manganese, delivering 50 percent of your recommended daily allowance in just a one-cup serving. The root vegetable is also quite high in potassium; a one-cup serving provides almost 30 percent of your daily requirement. A yam delivers slightly less bang for your buck, in terms of minerals. Although it too delivers almost 30 percent of your recommended potassium intake, it only delivers 25 percent of your recommended daily manganese intake. Sweet potatoes also provide significantly more magnesium, phosphorus and copper than yams.

Nutritional Value of Yams Vs. Sweet Potatoes | LIVESTRONG.COM

To be honest, I was surprised to see that sweet potatoes far outweighed yams in nutritional value. They seem so similar, but I guess they're not. I DO love yams, though, and will continue to use them, but now I am incorporating more sweet potatoes in place of yams in recipes.

Time to go and start figuring out what to make for the potluck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 02:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
I actually just got a load of mushrooms today and have a potluck tonight, so I'm trying to figure out something to use with what I have in the house (no asparagus)...not sure how I'll work that one out.
Saute them. Honestly. I use butter, but olive oil works, as long as it isn't EVOO (Extra-Virgin Olive Oil). EVOO doesn't saute well, regular olive oil does. Saute them with a little garlic and then give a splash of lemon juice, and you can toss that into a salad, or over broiled eggplant, or mix with some peas or other vegetables, or just on the plate, with a fork.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
I'm loading up on sweet potatoes, thanks.

And sautéed mushrooms, yum.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:17 AM

Does anyone have a really good recipe for pumpkin pie without condensed milk or other dairy? I seem to remember from years ago whipping up canned pumpkin with tofu etc, but I didn't save those old recipes. Doing a crust without oil would be impossible, so maybe I'd make squares without crust. For the family, I'm getting pies from WF or TJ's.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Default Pumpkin Pie Recipe

There are some good vegan pumpkin pie recipes, and the one you're thinking of is from the "Tofu Cookery" book, which I still have from the 1970s - lol!

My daughter tried this one below, although she used a store-bought crust (Whole Foods has frozen crusts, I know).

Fat-Free Vegan Pumpkin Pie (Crustless) | Happy Herbivore

The one my daughter made was delicious (I'm not a big crust person, anyway - I tend to pull it off and put it aside - it's the fillings in pies I like!). Oh, and I notice in the cookbook (in the link she refers to that recipe coming out in her "new" book - which is now "old" because I have it!) that there is a variation on it using.......Sweet Potatoes! Since it's not on the link, I'll just type from the cookbook:

Variation: Sweet Potato Pie Recipe - Substitute 2 cups of sweet potato puree for pumpkin and replace pumpkin pie spice with 1 tsp. of ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. of ground nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. of ground ginger, and a small pinch of ground cloves. There you go!

I won't be around much today or tomorrow. Today I'm going to go check out all the whales in the Monterey Bay -- apparently, there are loads of fish for food for them, so it's a battle between the pelicans and whales! People who have been down there said it is truly amazing! I hope I get to see some of that action! One of the guys at the potluck, last night (I made a creamy mushroom pasta dish - used soy milk), said he was out fishing in his little boat and suddenly this whale jumped out of the water to the right of him in the boat.....he was shocked. Then he thought to himself "I wonder where the mate is - as they travel in two per pod...." and THEN another one jumped out rocking his boat to the left of him!! I hope I get to catch some of the action!

And tomorrow we have to go into the mountains for an event that is important to my daughter.

I'll drop by now and then. Hope this recipe helps.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:49 PM

175 posts, read 366,245 times
I'm not vegan anymore (I kept the dairy-free part), but have a "recipe" for you.

I made this up one day, because I had to use up cabbage .

Fish Gut Soup (fishless!)
1 bag of coleslaw mix or 1/2 head of cabbage
2 cups white beans (or a can)
Just enough water to cover cabbage and beans
something tomatoey (tomato paste, tomato sauce, blended up fresh tomatoes, whatever)
1/2 diced onion
Chopped cilantro
As much cayenne pepper as you can stand
Salt, pepper, and garlic to taste.

Cook it until the cabbage is at your prefered texture.

It was so tasty that I put a picture on facebook, my aunt told me it looked like fish guts

Old 11-09-2013, 03:01 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
For pumpkin pie I just substitute rice milk for dairy milk and adjust a few other ingredients. I add some oil in dairy free recipes to make up for the lack of milk fat. I think I thicken it a little too or else it just is too thin and it sinks in the middle. (Hence the name Sunken Punkin first time I made it.)

I have the recipe somewhere. The tofu recipe never appealed to me but it must be good or people wouldn't make it.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the recipes, everyone.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:38 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Black Bean Burgers
1 15oz can black beans , rinsed and drained , 2 tblsp ketchup ,1 tblsp mustard , 1 tsp garlic , 1 tsp onion powder , 1/2 c of oats . In bowl mash black beans or you can use a food processor which I do to blend the oats up better , Divide in four portions and shape into patties . Bake for 7 mins in 400 oven or cook in olive oil in fry pan until crunchy on both side and to cut oils I use olive oil pan spray. these are really good .

Chickpea sandwich filling
1 can chick peas , 1/2 onion chopped , 1 floret of brocolli , 1 tblsp low fat mayo , 1 tblsp lemon juice , 1 tsp chive salt and pepper to taste . Drain and rinse chickpeas , pour into bowl and mash , mix in brocolli , onion , mayo , lemon juice and chive . chill for 30 mins and really good .

Apple Jack smoothie
1 c almond milk , 1 whole banana, 1/2 apple , 1/4 tsp cinnamon , 1 c fresh spinach . combine all except the cinnamon into a blenderand blend until smooth . add dashes of cinnamon , mix and serve . this is really tasty .

Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
I agree vegan and vegetarian are completely different regimes -- so many vegetarians make themselves worse health-wide by melting cheese over everything they eat. Your zero-fat vegan regime sounds quite challenging to manage, at least it would be for me as I am not one of the great chefs of Europe or anything. I am not fat-free but when I am vegan, wow, things really start happening that need to happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food