U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 01:53 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,800,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I know it's just one cell. But it's a chicken cell.
And? They wouldn't do anything with the egg anyways. Why not eat it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 03:15 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I had a nice conversation with a vegan yesterday, and I can understand the possible benefits of going that way, but what is the reason for abstaining from dairy and eggs? Is it the fear of what the cows and hens have been fed, or is it something else?
I know I could not go vegetarian without some cheese or yogurt.

Mostly? Because of the abject cruelty involved in the dairy industry and it's inextricable connection to the meat and poultry industry.

That in the most prevalent reason.

Others? Health. The environment. Find it disgusting. In no order.

For most of us, it is not a pro-life issue with eggs. Cows milk is for baby cows.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:20 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,213,174 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks to all who responded. If I thought for one minute that my diet would affect the cruelty of any animal, I would be glad to change it. I do buy cage free eggs, but I will look for certified humane from now on.

Cage free is a myth. It is not humane. If you want to purchase a flock of chickens and care for them and eat their eggs, you will know how they are cared for. Otherwise you will not.

No eggs sold in a supermarket are "cruelty free". Don't let them fool you.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:24 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,301,431 times
Also "certified humane" means the farmers can -still- cut the hens' beaks. I actually looked that up and found it on the website run by the organization that oversees the certification. Crazy huh.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,984,476 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by gentlearts

Ok, thanks to all who responded. If I thought
for one minute that my diet would affect the cruelty of any animal, I would be
glad to change it
. I do buy cage free eggs, but I will look for certified humane
from now on.
That's great! Good to hear!
So...I take it you'll be giving up bacon and hamburgers and ribs and steak and veal chops?

Old 12-20-2013, 02:58 PM

2,729 posts, read 712,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's great! Good to hear!
So...I take it you'll be giving up bacon and hamburgers and ribs and steak and veal chops?
Right on, Weltschmerz! I can't understand why people think more humane raising is "enough." Yes, it minimizes the cruelty some, but an animal still must lose its life prematurely and experience being slaughtered...

Old 12-20-2013, 04:05 PM

2,729 posts, read 712,229 times
Okay, let's not argue about whether it's losing its life prematurely. Let's focus on the animal experiencing the terror and pain of being slaughtered so that people can have its flesh on their dinner plate...

Getting back to the original topic, if it's a legitimate question that gentlearts was asking about why vegetarians don't do animal products, that's one thing. But let's remember: this is a board for vegans and vegetarians...and as such, I am tired of explaining and defending our compassionate choice. For the omnivores who insist on hanging out here: we get it. You enjoy eating meat, as well as dairy and eggs. You aren't going to stop, for ethical or health reasons. I just wish this could be the one safe place on CD where we veggie people can support each other and where we don't have to deal with the noncompassionate choices people make...

Old 12-22-2013, 01:51 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,318,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
And? They wouldn't do anything with the egg anyways. Why not eat it?

As I said above, they are utterly gross and bad-tasting to me. It's gotten so I can even detect their rubbery yellow flavor of death in baked goods.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:14 PM

584 posts, read 474,342 times
I have an acquaintance who is an "ethical" vegetarian. She buys local organic eggs and milk and cheese from a small local farms. She's very proud and confident that the eggs and dairy she consumes are cruelty-free. The reality of dairy makes that impossible, but I'll leave that. When I asked if, simply by allowing dairy and eggs in her diet, isn't she condoning the very practices she claims to stand against? Does she research the source of all eggs or dairy that is in food she buys to make sure they meet her criteria for being "humane"? Of course she doesn't and she was very angry that I asked (and accused me of being judgmental). She has one standard for dairy and eggs she buys directly, but it seems she doesn't have the same standard for dining out or eating prepared foods that contain dairy and/or eggs. I would guess she's not alone.

Here are some of the reasons why I don't consume dairy or eggs:

Hatchery Investigation | Mercy For Animals

Chickens for Eggs Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary

Debeaking Video Shows Standard Practice on Free-Range Egg Farms

What Is the Value Of A Life? A Dairy Calf Story

The Hidden Casualties of the Dairy Industry: Male Calves

Veal Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary

Cows for Dairy Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary

Breaking the Mother-Calf Bond: The Untold Story of Milk

Old 12-26-2013, 08:05 AM

20 posts, read 24,205 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks to all who responded. If I thought for one minute that my diet would affect the cruelty of any animal, I would be glad to change it. I do buy cage free eggs, but I will look for certified humane from now on.
Great that you are asking the question! Look for "free range" or "pastured" eggs, "cage free" is not as good as it sounds. But definitely your diet will affect the cruelty of many animals. Every time you don't eat an animal, another one doesn't have to be slaughtered. It is simply supply and demand. Every time you choose to eat an animal you are creating demand. When fewer people eat animals, fewer animals are born to a life of cruelty and slaughter. It is a business like any other - take away the demand, the supply lessens in response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food