U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:11 PM

36,994 posts, read 45,466,452 times

Advertisements

I had a nice conversation with a vegan yesterday, and I can understand the possible benefits of going that way, but what is the reason for abstaining from dairy and eggs? Is it the fear of what the cows and hens have been fed, or is it something else?
I know I could not go vegetarian without some cheese or yogurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 10:21 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,800,468 times
The reason? Depends on who you ask. Some do it because they believe they don't need an animal to provide their food. Others don't like the taste.

Most will tell you that the egg and dairy industry lies. Cage free means nothing. They still live in pain and suffer. Then are murdered for food. So eating eggs and dairy helps keep that cycle of murder going.

I'm a vegetarian so I still eat dairy and eggs. I avoid rennet and gelatin as well. That's my personal choice to do so, but many Vegans will make you feel badly about your choices because they deem Vegetarianism as a first step, but not the last step.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:16 AM

12,544 posts, read 12,492,503 times
Ever seen a battery cage?

A milk facility?

I don't agree that cage-free means the birds still suffer, though. Look for Certified Humane, which means the hens have room to move about, engage in natural behaviors, and a life free from brutality. However, the fact remains that only hens lay eggs, so roosters die.

As for milk and milk products, I really don't know of any cow's milk that is Certified Humane, but I could be wrong. I'm only familiar with goat's milk that is Certified Humane.

I do still eat eggs (Pete and Gerry's, occasionally Nellie's if the grocery is out of Pete and Gerry's, both are Certified Humane), and I rarely will buy milk, where the best I can do is organic. I wish there was a decent cheese substitute, but I've yet to find one that doesn't make me gag.

Osteoporosis also runs in my family, so I need to get calcium from somewhere, and what there is in plants isn't enough. It's a decision that weighs on my conscience, but with kidney stones running in my family, getting calcium from a pill isn't the wisest move for me.

And no, I don't want to hear any judgments from vegans, so kindly do refrain. I do the best I can.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:16 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,308,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I had a nice conversation with a vegan yesterday, and I can understand the possible benefits of going that way, but what is the reason for abstaining from dairy and eggs? Is it the fear of what the cows and hens have been fed, or is it something else?
I know I could not go vegetarian without some cheese or yogurt.
Well there are vegans, and there are "ethical vegans." Everyone chooses their lifestyle for their own reasons, whatever lifestyle that is. But ethical vegans will refrain from intentionally making use of any animal product *or* byproduct, at all possible times. This means no leather shoes or jackets, no honey, no eggs, no dairy, no silk clothing, no feather pillows, no meat, no bone jewelry, no food or clothing containing cochineal (aka carmine dye).

They intentionally, severely, limit their life options, in the name of preventing animals from having to work for, suffer for, die for, or serve humans.

You can find out more by visiting the Vegan Society webpage. The Vegan Society is the original organization created to promote a vegan lifestyle, back in the 1940's.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:14 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,545,815 times
The short of it is, for many vegans, there are concerns about how animals in the egg and dairy industries are treated, or even just the idea of keeping them and using them to generate food.

Others might have health concerns about dairy.

Or some combination of the above.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:49 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,320,008 times
A) I'm allergic to dairy.
B) I despise eggs. Don't know how anyone eats them.
C) Dairy farming supports the veal industry and vice versa. Calves are separated from their mothers -- the milk goes to humans and the calves are sliced up for veal.
D) Eggs are animal protein. "Liquid chickens," as someone I know puts it.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:01 PM

36,994 posts, read 45,466,452 times
Ok, thanks to all who responded. If I thought for one minute that my diet would affect the cruelty of any animal, I would be glad to change it. I do buy cage free eggs, but I will look for certified humane from now on.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:21 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,492,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
A) I'm allergic to dairy.
B) I despise eggs. Don't know how anyone eats them.
C) Dairy farming supports the veal industry and vice versa. Calves are separated from their mothers -- the milk goes to humans and the calves are sliced up for veal.
D) Eggs are animal protein. "Liquid chickens," as someone I know puts it.
Actually, an egg is one cell, just like an unfertilized human egg is one cell. Odd to think of it that way, but there it is!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 PM

23,321 posts, read 28,138,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Actually, an egg is one cell, just like an unfertilized human egg is one cell. Odd to think of it that way, but there it is!
Weird!

But partially true:

Q&A - BIOLOGY by Miller & Levine

Old 12-14-2013, 11:38 AM

7,106 posts, read 9,320,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

I know it's just one cell. But it's a chicken cell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food