U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:34 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,912,721 times

Advertisements

Beans, especially soy beans, are the greatest non-meat source of protein. But, if you wanted to temporarily eliminate beans from your diet, what would you choose? Vegetarian, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 12:52 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,604,866 times
Quinoa, eggs, as you state vegetarian not vegan.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Quinoa, eggs, as you state vegetarian not vegan.
Thanks. I wondered if eggs would work. Have not yet tried quinoa. Must do that some time. A friend says it is good.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:03 PM

25,631 posts, read 30,314,036 times
Egg whites, cooked spinach, broccoli, peas/split, potatoes skin on, quinoa wheat germ, oat bran, rice bran, buckwheat, amaranth, peanuts, almonds, walnuts.

Daughters have this list on fridge for when we go shopping.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Egg whites, cooked spinach, broccoli, peas/split, potatoes skin on, quinoa wheat germ, oat bran, rice bran, buckwheat, amaranth, peanuts, almonds, walnuts.

Thanks. I'll go with the eggs. Convenient for me.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM

4,941 posts, read 6,328,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

I use all of this except for the egg whites since I recently made the switch to vegan from being a vegetarian.

It's easy to get protein from plants, and I sometimes have a vegan protein shake (Hemp, pea, rice and potato) for lunch with powdered flax seeds, a banana and frozen strawberries blended into the mix.

Next, I plan to grow and consume bean sprouts (mung, garbanzo and red lentil) for their nutritional value. I just started sprouting broccoli. It was amazingly easy.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:45 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,408,991 times
When you say "beans", do you mean all legumes....or just the ones often referred to as "beans". Lentils, chickpeas, peas, etc have the similar nutritional value, as for as protein goes, as "beans".

In any case, legumes are pretty critical for vegan diets so I would vote for eggs or dairy for some of your protein if you're not going to eat any legumes. But eggs and dairy and dairy are pretty terrible for you......

Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM

7,496 posts, read 9,715,710 times
Eggs have a lot of nutritional value but also a lot of cholesterol.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,601,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Eggs have a lot of nutritional value but also a lot of cholesterol.
Just because one eats food high in cholesterol does not mean it will cause an imbalance in your HDL/LDL ratio. Eggs in particular are shown to raise both HDL and LDL, but maintain a proper HDL/LDL ratio. Cardiovascular diseases are associated with imbalances of the HDL/LDL ratio, and just because the HDL and LDL increases does not mean the ratio will change. This has been supported by much research on the topic of eggs.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:04 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,408,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Just because one eats food high in cholesterol does not mean it will cause an imbalance in your HDL/LDL ratio. Eggs in particular are shown to raise both HDL and LDL, but maintain a proper HDL/LDL ratio. Cardiovascular diseases are associated with imbalances of the HDL/LDL ratio, and just because the HDL and LDL increases does not mean the ratio will change.
Elevated LDL, more so than the ratio, is highly predictive of cardiovascular disease. Eggs are high in cholesterol and saturated fat, both of which are known to increase your risk for cardiovascular disease in part because they increase LDL. Also, above and beyond the effects on cholesterol, egg consumption has been correlated with cardiovascular disease in a dose dependent matter:

Egg consumption and risk of cardiovascular d... [Atherosclerosis. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

The research on eggs has consistently linked eggs to cardiovascular disease, the only conflicting research seems to the studies funded by the egg industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food