U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 02:03 AM

140 posts, read 362,599 times

Advertisements

So last night I viewed some documentaries on farming animals for food. I really didn't know how horrific the living conditions were that the animals lived in...are they even living. I feel a huge heaviness in my being for being so ignorant to this brutality. So I stocked up on vegan alternatives, however I did buy some eggs from a family farm (at 4x the cost).
When I opened my fridge and saw the milk and eggs that I had previously bought... I saw them as tainted food. I feel 100% different about meat and dairy then I did a few days ago. I really do not think I will go back to consuming animal product again. I have felt a little shell shocked today.... Well, heres to my first day as a vegan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,997,067 times
Congratulations! Come back and post when you need support or have questions.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:15 AM

140 posts, read 362,599 times
So it has been 3 days since I decided to go vegan. At this point it has not been really difficult at all. Went through my fridge and cleaned out all meats and milk product ! Vegan alternatives...cheese, sausage, chicken...though not the real deal are not so bad. The grilled cheese sandwich was almost exactly the same taste and texture, the won tons with all the veggies and sauce made with chicken alternative terrific. However, the spaghetti sauce with the Italian sausage....well...need to work on that one.

I did eat a few eggs...2. My conscience does feel comfortable with this as I purchased the eggs from a family owned farm and the chickens are living a life a chicken should live.

I know there are products on the market that do indeed have dairy and egg in them. I find myself eating a cracker and wondering if egg product is in it. I guess I am really new at this and need to find my way a little bit.

I still have a pit in my stomach and almost a feeling of mourning about the video I saw on industrial farming. Why oh why is this not covered by the media? And why the hell did it take me so long to find these videos myself?

Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 PM

55 posts, read 67,264 times
It is a hard transition but eating whole foods (fruits and vegetables) are the best route. Amy's brand has some non-dairy frozen meals. Just look at the ingredients when choosing food. For a sweet fix, Oreo's has no dairy. Also check out www.thisrawsomeveganlife.com is a good website for recipes. When going out to eat, if in doubt, just buy ala cart items of fruit, vegetables etc. because everything seems to be made with milk and eggs...even Marchaun cup ramen noodles has milk in it!! I'm still shocked and disappointed about that.

I just bought a food processer and am able to make homemade peanut butter and such. Some good ingredients to have available: coconut oil, agave syrup, tahini...

I started my venture due to the same types of documentaries. I've watched several. Been vegan for a year (with the exception that I eat fish).

Here's another thing to confirm not using milk that I saw recently (but was already aware of the facts) http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=69893

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 PM

7,103 posts, read 9,307,651 times
May I suggest marinara sauce for your pasta instead of the sausagey kind?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:12 PM

353 posts, read 483,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
So last night I viewed some documentaries on farming animals for food. I really didn't know how horrific the living conditions were that the animals lived in...are they even living. I feel a huge heaviness in my being for being so ignorant to this brutality. So I stocked up on vegan alternatives, however I did buy some eggs from a family farm (at 4x the cost).
When I opened my fridge and saw the milk and eggs that I had previously bought... I saw them as tainted food. I feel 100% different about meat and dairy then I did a few days ago. I really do not think I will go back to consuming animal product again. I have felt a little shell shocked today.... Well, heres to my first day as a vegan!
First of all, congratulations for making this brave decision! I am so happy to see people improving their health by cutting out the meat off diet.
I must warn you, you will go through some tough times by your body simply detoxing itself from all the poisons and things you have eaten before. There will be some "growing pains" of being a vegan.
1) Make sure to take your Vitamins and stay active. Supply yourself with lots of supplements ( protein powders-best known is VEGA, nutritional east, spilulina, chia seeds, B-Complex etc.)

2). Remember, just because something is vegan ( like Oreo cookies ) it does not mean it is good for you. Detox your kitchen. Use coconut oil for cooking and olive oil for salads. Stay away from processed foods.

3). Never stop learning and researching. Watch your body react, watch your blood work, everyone is different.

Give it about a year to adjust. You will be so happy with your body and mind that you will be wondering why you have even bothered with meat to begin with.
My husband and I are both vegans. I am 6 year vegan, he is 3 year vegan. He lifts too, never lots his muscles.

Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,162,843 times
Good luck. It's a good life

Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,260,505 times
First, if you're eating eggs, you're not vegan. Vegetarian, yes. Vegan, no. It's okay though, you've chosen to honor your personal ethics in your own way. Don't beat yourself up over it, and if you choose at some point to take it further, you can do so without feeling "obligated."

Second, I'll add my vote for marinara. A good tomato sauce will be good with or without meat. Meat enhances it only to the extent that it makes it taste meaty. It doesn't need to taste meaty to be good. I prefer a meatless marinara, and I'm not a vegetarian or vegan

Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,211,325 times
I'm not a vegan but I am eating lower and lower on the food chain, as many are. I still eat wild fish.

One of my son's is a vegan and he's encouraging me. All of my boys eat less meat than I did at that age. One is a lacto-ovo vegetarian. Eats dairy.

I think I'm headed in that direction. So many people seem to be giving up on meat. There are so many good reasons to do that - from the environment and personal health, to ethics.

Seems to be the wave of the future.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:39 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,410,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_fox13 View Post
1) Make sure to take your Vitamins and stay active. Supply yourself with lots of supplements ( protein powders-best known is VEGA, nutritional east, spilulina, chia seeds, B-Complex etc.)
Vegans don't need to take a bunch of supplements, the only supplement a vegan needs to take is a b12 supplement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_fox13 View Post
2). Remember, just because something is vegan ( like Oreo cookies ) it does not mean it is good for you. Detox your kitchen. Use coconut oil for cooking and olive oil for salads. Stay away from processed foods.
Coconut oil and olive oil are processed foods. And coconut oil, being almost entirely saturated fat, is best avoided.

Quote:
Went through my fridge and cleaned out all meats and milk product ! Vegan alternatives...cheese, sausage, chicken...though not the real deal are not so bad. The grilled cheese sandwich was almost exactly the same taste and texture, the won tons with all the veggies and sauce made with chicken alternative terrific. However, the spaghetti sauce with the Italian sausage....well...need to work on that one.
I'd suggest that over time you learn how to look plant-based dishes that don't rely on fake versions of meat and dairy products. Though for the Italian sausage, its mostly the spices that give it the flavor and you can make ground tofu, lentil balls, etc that have a similar taste by using the same spices.

Quote:
I know there are products on the market that do indeed have dairy and egg in them. I find myself eating a cracker and wondering if egg product is in it. I guess I am really new at this and need to find my way a little bit.
Though you may not win a vegan purity contest, I'd suggest you not worrying about trace amounts of dairy and egg products in commercial food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food