Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:00 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times

Advertisements

[quote=warren zee;33528282]Do you know how to Google? try that! [quote]

Why don't you Google it?

It is YOUR job to quote me the source of your information.

Quote:
Meat eating is declining. Vegetarianism is increasing. Especially veganism. And no, I am not a true vegan myself, although I lean that way and support it as the best lifestyle for the planet, the body and most important, the ANIMALS.
Ok. Everything is moderation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I concur.

I'm not vegetarian but I was mostly raised vegetarian and to this day eat meat infrequently. Like you, every time I eat a big meat meal I feel like I have a bowling ball in my stomach, it does takes forever to digest.

Clearly it is not necessary to eat animal protein to be healthy, as long as you eat enough veggie foods to get calcium and B vitamins. I'd be a tad unhappy if I were told I could never eat meat again because there are meats I really enjoy but actually it wouldn't be a big deal.
I avoid eating big meat meals, even though I'm not a vegetarian. I consider meat as more of a side-dish. Only once can I remember -really- going whole hog on a mostly-meat dinner (pun intended) and that was at a Brazillian Barbeque in San Antonio. It was delicious - and I'll probably do it again. But I don't think I could handle it on any kind of regular basis, even more than once in a year's time.

As I grow older, I find that I enjoy poultry more, beef less. I -always- enjoy fruits, vegetables, and legumes. As long as you're getting all the nutrients you need from whatever you're eating, and you're healthy and fit, you shouldn't feel like anything is out of sorts at all when you shift your tastes - regardless of the reason.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...ype=blogs&_r=0 -

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?catId=1&pageId=4916

Here you go.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Do you have a source on that fact?
The primary reason in the US that beef eating is on the decline is due to the drought in the big cattle producing States. The drought has been going on for YEARS now and many cattle farms have had to sell all of their stock because there is no hay to feed them. Its a supply and demand thing right now more than anything. If the drought ever ends, it will be interesting to watch what happens when the cattle ranches are able to get back to "normal" production.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:11 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Back on topic please.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
The OP's problem is lack of exercise and no fiber in the diet just like most Americans eating too much processed foods.

I am in my 40s and in better shape than during my 30s and although I eat less meat I do eat good quality meats and eat a ton of veggies instead of drinking smoothies.

You also need to exercise.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:54 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
I've been a vegetarian by choice for 16 years now, but an amazing amount of women, from their late 30s onward, have confided in me that they no longer like meat. It would be interesting to do a study on eating habits. Unfortunately, this change has not happened in my family. They can't go through an entire visit without eating meat. My dad, however, embraces it when visiting!

Old 03-04-2014, 03:23 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
I'm a typical 37 year old overweight American who has always eaten meat. But over the past 2 years I have slowly slowed down on meat, and now I am to the point where I actually had to induce vomiting after eating chicken a couple times (yeah too much info, gross but true). After I eat meat I feel full and sick. I also feel puffy and bloated and all around gross.
The thing is this; I'm not trying to be Vegetarian and for most of my life I've kind of laughed at that lifestyle. My body seems to be naturally/automatically rejecting all meat. I had a full doctor exam and there's nothing wrong (except high bp, cholesterol, and sugar which I'm on meds for).
I have been eating a lot of beans because it gives me that 'satisfied' feeling that meat gives. I kind of see this as a great life event for several reasons. Since meat is making me ill I no longer crave it so to become Vegetarian is not really a problem, since I'm not trying it's happening naturally.
I'm thinking maybe not eating meat will help my cholesterol and bp come down too.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar to what I am going through? Or did most of you have to struggle to stop eating meat?
I have never been able to eat beef. It wouldn't go down, let alone digest. Even as a child, I could not eat beef. Years later I met up with a mother in a grocery store fretting over what to buy because, she said, her four-year-old son could not eat meat. It wouldn't go down no matter how long and hard he chewed. From that moment I knew I wasn't so far off.

Later, in adulthood, other meats followed. Chicken got awful. Ham I loved but couldn't eat it any more. So...vegetarian for me. Until you get onto cooking your own non-meat dishes, try Amy's frozen entrees. There are some other brands also but I only know Amy's. Look around. You'll get a lot of soy dishes and soy lowers blood pressure. Not only does soy lower bp but meat actually increases bp. Two good strikes there.

Cholesterol? For some people, getting off meat does lower cholesterol. So, you can dream while you test that. For others, like myself, I seem to just have an inborn tendency to high cholesterol. Nothing lowers it. The doctor agrees and we don't fret it, although I do make an effort to not go overboard. So no promises there. It might work for you; it might not.

Sugar, you'll not allowed to blame the meat for that. Sorry. Try substituting fruit which has less sugar but does have sugar - its own natural sugar.

Fish. Can you eat fish? I use the breaded filets. Probably not the best choice but I have never been able to cook fish to my liking. So, I just use the breaded filets and surround them with my favorite veggies.

Veggies? Fresh is better but again, until you get it under control so that you aren't spending the whole day planning dinner, use the canned. Plain, of course if you like veggies. Or something like Margaret Holmes which is already seasoned to great taste.

For those purists, allow me to protest. I am giving her the easy way as a starter. It takes time to learn to do vegetarian. So, shortcuts first and them learn how to do really great things with fresh foods. And use that soy in many forms. It breaks the monotony of beans every day, good as they are. And I almost forgot to say - I always add a good serving of a vegetable to those frozen entrees. They are sadly lacking in veggies.

Off you go. Hope those little ideas help.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
A lot of people's ability to enjoy food changes when they enter a different life stage. I was a "lost weekend" sugarholic as a kid but now I can hardly face the stuff. And, yeah, the older I get the more meat makes me feel bloated and grody rather than satisfied.

It's a natural fit if your blood sugar is too high, luckily! A vegan diet that allows you only 2-3g of fat her serving of anything you esat will clear up your sugar issues before you can say Jack Robinson.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:14 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Any meat I eat is chicken or poultry. I guess that's considered meat. I don't eat red meat. I have no interest in steaks or hamburgers now, but I guess I never really did. I have relatives that eat red meat constantly. I think they feel its odd for a human not to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food