Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 03:07 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
No matter what led you to it, you can find that a veggie lifestyle makes you look and feel great! Don't mourn your meat-eating days; make the most of a healthy, ethical plant-based diet.

I concur with Jazzcat22! No reason to mourn a food that was making you feel sick! Instead, celebrate this new, healthy and cruelty free rest of your life.

There has never been a better time to embrace a vegetarian lifestyle! It's more mainstream than ever and there are so many products, books, vegetarian friendly restaurants, and other vegetarians to assist you on your journey.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that we are here to assist you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 04:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
I concur.

I'm not vegetarian but I was mostly raised vegetarian and to this day eat meat infrequently. Like you, every time I eat a big meat meal I feel like I have a bowling ball in my stomach, it does takes forever to digest.

Clearly it is not necessary to eat animal protein to be healthy, as long as you eat enough veggie foods to get calcium and B vitamins. I'd be a tad unhappy if I were told I could never eat meat again because there are meats I really enjoy but actually it wouldn't be a big deal.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:43 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,477 times
Oh I AM embracing it! The greatest thing is this: The longer I go without it the less I want it. The smell and sight of it now even turns me off. In the past month I have had meat about 4 times, each time it just was not good to me. The texture even turns me off (chewing).
Like I said before this isn't something I chose to do, it happened naturally within my body over time and with age as my body has changed. I reap many benefits though.
I don't feel as bloated and puffy either. I'm 37 which is not old, but it's kind of that age where I need to take better care of myself (every age should but you get what I mean hopefully). I gave up partying and cigarettes 2 years ago, now meat. I hope to slowly be able to get off these meds too when my body weight comes down.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Oh I AM embracing it! The greatest thing is this: The longer I go without it the less I want it. The smell and sight of it now even turns me off. In the past month I have had meat about 4 times, each time it just was not good to me. The texture even turns me off (chewing).
Like I said before this isn't something I chose to do, it happened naturally within my body over time and with age as my body has changed. I reap many benefits though.
I don't feel as bloated and puffy either. I'm 37 which is not old, but it's kind of that age where I need to take better care of myself (every age should but you get what I mean hopefully). I gave up partying and cigarettes 2 years ago, now meat. I hope to slowly be able to get off these meds too when my body weight comes down.
Hey, as long as you remain healthy and eat sensibly so you get your B-vitamins and so on, nothing wrong with that. My mother and stepfather have been vegetarian (well pescetarian, I guess - they do eat fish) for decades and are in their 80s and still actively run a farm.

I spent many years rarely eating meat, as in maybe just a few times per year. Over the last few years (I am 56), for some reason, I've been eating it more often. I don't know why, but it feels right and as long as it's in small amounts, it's fine.

WTG on quitting tobacco! In April it will be two years for me.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:06 PM

638 posts, read 2,243,644 times
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”
Hippocrates

Its good the OP is listening to the body. 37 is too young to have such medical issues. Eat well and you can get off all the medicine!

Old 02-17-2014, 11:10 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
OP, if your body is rejecting it....listen to your body! I'm a "meat mouth", but I couldn't live on meat alone...that is for sure. I'm also the other way, tried vegetarian and my body said no. Didn't do that cause of the treatment of animals, cause I know how they are raised, was just trying it out.

I also agree that you should see a Dr. Your body is trying to tell you something. I hope it is saying that it just does not need meat, but to be on the safe side....see a Dr.

Wish the best for you and come to these forums to get great ideas on what to eat!

Old 02-17-2014, 03:34 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post

That's how it is! You lose your "taste for it". It becomes increasingly repulsive to you.
You are in luck, vegetarianism and especially veganism is increasing in popularity, and meat eating is declining. That's the fact.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:42 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
That's how it is! You lose your "taste for it". It becomes increasingly repulsive to you.
You are in luck, vegetarianism and especially veganism is increasing in popularity, and meat eating is declining. That's the fact.
Do you have a source on that fact?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:29 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Do you have a source on that fact?

Do you know how to Google? try that!

I have read this and observed it on my own. I don't carry a handy compendium of every factoid that I've read over the past 40 years, and this one is no exception.

Meat eating is declining. Vegetarianism is increasing. Especially veganism. And no, I am not a true vegan myself, although I lean that way and support it as the best lifestyle for the planet, the body and most important, the ANIMALS.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Do you know how to Google? try that!

I have read this and observed it on my own. I don't carry a handy compendium of every factoid that I've read over the past 40 years, and this one is no exception.

Meat eating is declining. Vegetarianism is increasing. Especially veganism. And no, I am not a true vegan myself, although I lean that way and support it as the best lifestyle for the planet, the body and most important, the ANIMALS.
And YOU don't know how to use google? As well as copy and paste for cites?

I'm on "your side" for the most part - even though I still eat meat at times, I think vegetarian/vegan lifestyle is more sustainable.

But if you are posting with an agenda, which is OK, doesn't it make sense to have on hand cites and references for your claims, which are otherwise wacky and unverified? In other words, YOU are not an expert reference; you are a random and uninteresting internet person. To be credible, you need to post a link to something...credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food