Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,620 times

Advertisements

I recently made black beans with rice and it was soooo delicious and filling. I eat a half cup and am full for hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 03:22 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,049,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
Have you considered avocado? The protein and fat (good) will help with satiety.
I eat about 3 a week with salsa! Yum

Old 05-17-2014, 10:27 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Popcorn Cauliflower easy to make and a very tasty snack. Can be addictive.

Rather that cut and paste here is a LINK

I usually make mine plain without the spices. Just a little salt when done cooking.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 05-17-2014 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: I spelled easy wrong

Old 05-18-2014, 08:53 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
I keep wasabi peas in the house at all times. So good!

Old 05-18-2014, 08:54 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

I usually make mine plain without the spices. Just a little salt when done cooking.

I need to make this!

Old 05-25-2014, 02:31 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
Quote:

I love a super-simple recipe like this. Sounds wonderful!

Old 05-30-2014, 11:43 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
What are the best vegan snacks or small meals to make? I am trying to reduce my meat consumption and eat more plant-based foods by doctor's orders. I know nuts and seeds are a staple, but I don't always want to resort to those especially with the high fat content. I also am not a fan of peanut butter or almond butter (I know, weird) and want something that'll give me a sense of satiety.

Any ideas?
Welcome. My cardiologist recommended, no DEMANDED, I go on a plant based diet. I bought the Forks Over Knives cookbook.

One of favorites is insanely simple-frozen grapes. Nature's Popsicles. Wash them, let them dry, put snack sized bunches, on or off the stems, in baggies and freeze.

My idea of what a snack is and your idea may be different but lately I have been making biscotti from the cookbook. It's a hit in our home. I break them into bite sized pieces.

It seems most of the bars and cookies have peanut, almond, or tahini as the glue to hold them together since they have no oil. Maybe you already know this, but I learned the hard way on some cookies, that they will stick. Parchment paper is expensive so I bought some reusable silicone mats.

If you can get your hands on a food dehydrator you can make awesome kale, sweet potato, and just about any other veggie and fruit into a chip.

A low-low-low fat alternative to peanut butter is PB2.

You're right about nuts and seeds. I get the strangest looks at the Winco Supermarket when I buy 10 pounds each of raw cashews and almonds. I eat a handful now and then, but do try to watch it.

Best of luck to you. Take it from me, after having quintuple bypass surgery then ten years later having several grafts clog and getting angina, you're doing yourself a favor.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:06 PM

56 posts, read 46,901 times
Nut butter(peanut, almond, cashew,etc) on top of celery sticks and add goji berries.
Fire ants on a log!

Old 07-13-2015, 06:19 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,975 times
You said you wanted something that gives you satiety--legumes are quite filling because they're high in protein. You could have fava bean dip (popular in the Middle East), white bean dip (Italian recipe), and Texas caviar (mix of black-eyed peas, black beans, cilantro, sometimes corn and bell peppers) with tortilla chips, pita toasts, and cut raw veggies.

You can make your own trail mix with dried fruits, coconut flakes, dark chocolate chips (they have vegan brands), nuts, and oats.

There are many brands of vegan yogurt made with either coconut, soy, or rice milk. Toss in berries rather than buying it with the fruit already mixed in, as manufacturers include lots of sugar and corn syrup.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:56 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
Quote:
If you can find jicama at a reasonable price it is quite good peeled and about as thick as potato chips. Very good raw and used any way you would use potato chips.

Also good with a bit of lime juice squeezed on it

Up here it is a bit pricey, but was very cheap in Texas and New Mexico.
I second that emotion! And the high fiber content in a jicama makes it so filling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food