U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:14 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,411,240 times

Advertisements

What are the best vegan snacks or small meals to make? I am trying to reduce my meat consumption and eat more plant-based foods by doctor's orders. I know nuts and seeds are a staple, but I don't always want to resort to those especially with the high fat content. I also am not a fan of peanut butter or almond butter (I know, weird) and want something that'll give me a sense of satiety.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,488,338 times
Snap peas. Here's the nutrition info for ten pods of peas (the pods are edible too). From NutritionData:

Calories: 14
Fat: 0
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 1mg
Carbs: 3g
Fiber: 1g
Sugar: 1g
Proten: 1g
Glycemic Load: 1
It gives you 7% vitamin A, 34% vitamin C, 4% iron, 1% calcium. 11% vitamin K, Between 2-4% of the following: Thiamin, Riboflavin, B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, and Manganese.

That's just 10 pods of snap peas. Basically, you could eat a cup of this stuff and get tons of nutrition, especially vitamin C, it'd be filling, low cal, no fat, no cholesterol, low (but not no) carb, and they taste delicious. Serve crispy cold, raw.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:51 AM

912 posts, read 1,252,082 times
Taking the snap pea suggestion a step farther, raw vegetables dipped in hummus is a very satisfying snack.

A friend of mine does something that I think is really smart and easily adapted to be vegan -- she keeps cup-sized portions of homemade soup in the freezer. When she wants a quick snack, she just warms one up. A lot of broth-based soup is not high in calories, but is a good substantial snack.

Roasted chickpeas are great. This is a good sounding basic recipe: Roasted Chickpeas Recipe - Allrecipes.com They take on almost a popcorn-y "feeling" when roasted, if that makes sense. I'd imagine you could flavor them however you like your popcorn. And come to think of it, popcorn is vegan as long as the butter is omitted!

Kale chips are an excellent option too -- I first tried them years ago, and love them to this day. baked kale chips | smitten kitchen

Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 AM

Snap peas are really good, I've had them before. If I eat hummus, I'd make it at home but the roasted chickpeas idea is good.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 AM

18,678 posts, read 23,294,081 times
1. fruit.

2. I second the kale chips

3. peel celery and keep it chilled

4. always have hummus on hand. Dip the celery, carrots, scallions, pepper strips into it.

5. Pickles. Find a good organic brand.

6. Not health food, but if you need something sweet, Oreos are vegan. So are most ginger snaps. Learn to eat the portion on the package and enjoy with almond milk.

7. Vegetable bullion cubes. I like "Not Chicken" too.

8. Not health food - but pretzels dipped in a spicy mustard do it for me.

9. I LOVE this vegan jerky sold in health food stores. (the brand escapes me)

10. Jam on a cracker.

12. Salad.

13. Nuts and sunflower seeds.

14. Ritz crackers and saltines. Vegan.

15. guacamole.

16. salsa

17. potato chips. most are vegan.

18. vegan popcorn

19. pumpkin or squash seeds cooked in your oven with a little sea salt.

20. Any Dunkin Heinz cupcake not made with eggs. You can substitute canned pumpkin.

I mixed healthy with not so healthy. Easy to prepare - i.e. rip open the package, with a bit more involved.

You will notice that so many of them are conventional foods and there is no need to go to go to a specialty shop for 3/4 of these.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,362,690 times
An insty-kwik snack might be a bean burrito -- I like to make them on sun-dried tomato lawash bread, with a little mild salsa and no cheese -- 1 minute in the nuker and you're off and running.

I second the pumpkin seeds. Raw OR roasted.

I almost forgot this one: Oven fries smothered in beany chili. Mmmmmm.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
An insty-kwik snack might be a bean burrito -- I like to make them on sun-dried tomato lawash bread, with a little mild salsa and no cheese -- 1 minute in the nuker and you're off and running.

I second the pumpkin seeds. Raw OR roasted.

I almost forgot this one: Oven fries smothered in beany chili. Mmmmmm.
I will need to try that one. The ideas posted have been great. It'll really help me get more creative about the foods I eat.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I will need to try that one. The ideas posted have been great. It'll really help me get more creative about the foods I eat.
Add a drop of ketchup and your evening will be complete!

Old 03-08-2014, 01:24 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,215,797 times
I treat myself to Tofutti or coconut milk ice cream once in a while. It's expensive, though.

I like to make my own sorbet. Just blenderize some berries and a little lemon juice and refreeze.

Tofutti chocolate-covered ice cream cones are good

Old 03-08-2014, 01:30 PM

Rice Dream strawberry flavor nondairy ice cream is to die for. So is Tofutti vanilla. Oooh, ooh, here is the best vegan reciope ever for an instant snackola:

Slice a firm baking-type apple in half lengthwise. (I prefer Gala.) Dig out the core from each half with the tip of a knife. Put 1/2 tsp brown sugar (or the vegan equivalent) into the holes left where the cores were. Sprinkle the entire cut surface with cinnamon, or nutmeg, or whatever you like. Place face-up in a bowl, cover with a cloth and nuke 1.5 minutes for one apple half, 3 minutes for both halves. Unover, add a spoon of Tofutti vanilla "ice cream" to each half and prepare to die, these are so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food