U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 PM

32,307 posts, read 59,520,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Well, technically, I'm a pesce-lacto-ovo-vegetarian, but to save myself the tongue-twister, I just tell people I don't eat animals, birds, or reptiles.
Fish aren't animals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 03:50 AM
bUU

11,904 posts, read 8,608,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
One of the reasons why vegan became vegan was because of the vegetarians who were altering what was essentially a vegan diet to begin with to include fish, dairy, and eggs.
Uh, maybe that was the way things were in Maryland, but up in the Northeast, vegetarian has always included dairy and eggs, at least since the 1960s. I'm pretty sure that's the way it was out west as well. Vegan came about, around here, out of the desire to remove dairy and eggs from the vegetarian diet, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Fish aren't animals?
I bet Lilac meant "mammals".

Old 03-27-2014, 04:12 PM

4 posts, read 3,339 times
Sounds to me like you are eating a really healthy diet! So keep right on going, I say.

I do wonder why you want to know if eating some fish now and then makes you no longer a vegetarian. Do you feel guilty... like you are breaking the rules? Or is this more about how others might see you?

I had been a vegetarian for a few years before I decided to start working at a health food grocery in Atlanta. Initially I was really worried about meeting "militant vegans" working there. I was afraid of being judged by them because I wasn't ready to take it to that level.

Well, it turns out I was wrong, WAY wrong. My coworkers had a wide variety of eating habits - some were omnivores, a few had been vegan but said they felt better having some meat nowadays, a few were vegetarians and several were smokers. The cigarette smokers surprised me most. I thought they'd be eating differently for health reasons... so then why smoke? The point is, everyone is different and that's good.

The most valuable lesson I learned while working there?
LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

Better than any book, doctor, treatment or program, your body will tell you what it needs and what causes problems if you are open minded and listen.

So how do you do this in practical terms? Try eating just one food for a meal. Notice how you feel 30 minutes or an hour later. How's your energy level? Any changes good or bad?

I tried this and was really surprised by what I learned.
Try it and see!

Last edited by emmarsh; 03-27-2014 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: grammar fix

Old 03-31-2014, 11:31 AM

643 posts, read 744,055 times
Eat what you want. Sounds to me like you have a healthy diet, which could be healthier with more meat and dairy.

People are consumed with labeling everything. Especially here in America where for a majority of people, food is readily available. Through that availability, people start restricting themselves and creating labels. In my opinion, it's a mechanism in our brain to complicate things once everything is there. So too much available food = Brain imposed restrictions.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:28 PM

960 posts, read 2,248,834 times
By definition, many would think that vegetarians do not consume animal flesh but may consume animal by-products. Sounds like you eat a largely plant-based diet with seafood occasionally. Good for you and your health. No need to wrestle over labels. If you dine out, identifying as a vegetarian may be beneficial to prevent consuming foods that are prepared with meat.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:42 AM

34,215 posts, read 41,182,325 times
If you like fish then eat fish whenever you feel the need .
Heres some recipe ideas for the pescetarian,
I love being a pescetarian! on Pinterest

Old 04-01-2014, 05:13 AM

71,593 posts, read 83,140,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
I go to great lengths to eat whole, natural foods. Veggies, whole grains, legumes, fruits.

But once in a long while when I've been working out hard and feel depleted, I know that 2-4 oz salmon will give me a quick protein & omega-3 boost. I pair it off with 2 servings of raw spinach.

So am I not fully vegetarian if I eat 4 oz of salmon once every few months?
A true vegetarian? No, of course not, but you are not going to have any ill side effects from a little meat, especially fish once in awhile. I think you are better to say, you lean toward being a vegetarian. BTW. pairing it with whatever doesn't change the fact, you eat meat products from time to time. You sound like you feel guilty and feel like you have done something awful because you enjoy fish once in awhile. Don't let it bother you.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:27 AM
bUU

11,904 posts, read 8,608,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
lean toward being a vegetarian
Excellent way of putting it.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:29 PM

508 posts, read 549,147 times
Vegetarians don't eat any flesh, whether it's from poultry, fish, crustaceans, shellfish, or something "on the hoof" (or I suppose that would be OFF the hoof by the time it hits your table).

Vegans won't eat any dairy or eggs either.

Amongst some very strict vegetarians in and around India (Jains, mostly) they won't eat any garlic or onions; VERY strict Jains won't eat any root vegetables or tubers whatsoever. The reason I've been given is that harvesting requires killing the plant; but there is also some stuff about different "qualities" of the food having to do with "spirtual lightness" etc. Truth is, any plant that is harvested for food that is an annual crop is killed in harvesting.

There is no need to specify that one is a "lacto ovo vegetarian". If you don't eat milk or eggs, then you're vegan, not vegetarian.

I don't see the need for terms like "pescetarian" and what not - just say you only eat fish (or poultry or whatever it is), or that you don't eat any red meat. I don't know why we feel we have to categorize ourselves so narrowly.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:55 PM

11,210 posts, read 7,465,932 times
No.

Did the fish have a face?

Could you grow it in the vegetable patch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or