Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:03 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times

Advertisements

Quinoa, the Peruvian grain, is great stuff, cook it like rice. I use the meat substitute products from Emergency essentials and rehydrate them to add to Thai stir fry, stuffed bell peppers, etc. I think seitan is too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 05:17 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
I would suggest nuts, there are a lot of nut recipes that mimic meat. Nuts contain good protein and fats. I would also say avocado is filling, eat one by yourself for a meal. I just make some guacamole with one and add some baby tomatoes and cheese with it (no cheese if vegan), pretty filling. Avocado also has better protein quality than meat, but it lacks the amount of protein in land meats (not true for seafood). One avocado is only about 5 grams of protein.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:46 PM

309 posts, read 367,239 times
Lentils. They are high in protein, high in fiber and easily blend with different seasonings.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:01 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I would suggest nuts, there are a lot of nut recipes that mimic meat. Nuts contain good protein and fats. I would also say avocado is filling, eat one by yourself for a meal. I just make some guacamole with one and add some baby tomatoes and cheese with it (no cheese if vegan), pretty filling. Avocado also has better protein quality than meat, but it lacks the amount of protein in land meats (not true for seafood). One avocado is only about 5 grams of protein.
I like avocados. This got me thinking if anyone ever cooked with them. that sent me searching.

Found a recipe for Baked avocado I'm going to try.

Quote:
Ingredients

2 large avocados
1/4 cup crumbled Stilton
1/4 cup walnut halves
1/2 pound pancetta, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Cut the avocado in half and scoop out the flesh, leaving the skin intact, and roughly dice the avocado. Place avocado in an ovenproof dish, and add the crumbled blue cheese, walnuts, pancetta, and Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper.

Spoon the mixture back into the avocado shells and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and place in the broiler for 2 minutes right before serving.
SOURCE

Except I'm going to leave out the pancetta.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:16 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
I'm not a vegetarian, but when I do want a break from eating meat, I find that only mushrooms, especially fresh shiitake mushrooms, can give me that comfortably full feeling that I get from adding meat to my meal. Try making it curry style, mmmm delicious and hearty indeed!

Oh, lentils and beans too, any kind, any way you make it. Lentil soup, lentil salad, chilli, etc.

Regarding Avocado, where I come from, it's considered fruit, not veggie. So we don't cook it, instead we add it to a lot of desserts or fruity cold beverages. My favorite is avocado smoothie with chocolate milk. Or another favorite of mine for a refreshing summer snack + dessert:
-Chopped some fresh fruits (watermelon, pineaple, jack fruit, papaya, avocado, whatever's available) and throw them together into a bowl - if they have natural juice from all that chopping, even better.
- Add some shaved ice or crushed ice on top, then drizzle some condensed milk and some fruity syrup like strawberry syrup on top, then serve. It's cold, sweet, and fruity, it's perfect for summer

Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I had never heard of that. But I have probably eaten it without knowing it. Sounds interesting and might be just what I'm looking for. already thinking of stuffing Pablano peppers with it.
There are all kinds of vegetables (mushrooms, eggplant) and other things (like tempeh) that are good stand-ins for meat depending on the context, and tasty in their own right, but if you want something animal-free that really mimics the texture and flavor of meat, seitan is the way to go.

Store-bought seitan is ok, but homemade is better, and it's very cheap to make yourself. I've had the best results with the kind you wrap in foil and steam. Sliced and pan-fried with seasonings appropriate to whatever dish you're making, it can be eerily like chicken.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I like avocados. This got me thinking if anyone ever cooked with them. that sent me searching.

Found a recipe for Baked avocado I'm going to try.

SOURCE

Except I'm going to leave out the pancetta.
I made it for supper supper sans the pancetta. Was really very good. I did add in a handful of chopped cilantro, I'm a bit of a cilantro fanatic.

Had it as the main course with a side salad a simple Cucumber, shallot and bell pepper with Dill dressing.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Seitan is the go too.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Seitan is the go too.
I plan to try that next, what I have read it just may be what I am looking for.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
This is not an anti-Tofu thread. I love the stuff.

Just looking for other lesser known alternatives. Not so much for flavor or the protein, looking for texture

Various things I currently use

Mushrooms especially dried oriental varieties.

Assort Legumes, finding lots of uses for Fava Beans

Egg plants--Very versatile

Parsnips--Discovered how to use them as a nice alternative to fried oysters.

Water Chestnuts--Whole ones make an Interesting addition to an all vegetable stew

Any and all suggestions welcomed
If you go to some ethnic Asian markets not just the small Asian section in your supermarket.

There is a big difference with packaged tofu and tofu made fresh. I usually prefer the fresh tofu since my parents knows how to make them I'm used to home made tofu. But it is cheaper to buy store made tofu they come in a large container for around $10 it's much better than packaged ones that contains preservatives.

If a doctor said to avoid it, because mainly the packaged tofu is heavy in processing and too refined.

There are some tofus out there that contains a lot more unfiltered soy which gives it a more gritty flavor similar to whole wheat bread. A lot more fiber but it has a more sour taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food