U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 04:23 AM

71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I am researching recipes and confronted again and again with mushrooms as a major ingredient. I am very allergic to them but I also understand that they have a distinctive and hard to replace taste. As far as texture and taste, what do people recommend as a substitute for the fungus?
For a slightly different taste but something I would use: artichoke hearts. Certainly this isn't the same as mushrooms, but it adds an unusual flavor.

ok, after reading the rest of the thread, which I should have done, for something like stir fry I would just leave them out; for pizza, I would use the artichokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 09:26 AM

7,103 posts, read 9,306,087 times
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! You've got me thinking. Not a small accomplishment!

Old 02-07-2017, 04:53 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,890 posts, read 5,197,284 times
Try rehydrating TVP granules in a a broth made with Vegemite, Marmite, or veggie "beef" broth. It won't be an exact replica, but the texture will be similar and the broth will supply that umami flavor.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:06 AM

487 posts, read 96,434 times
I just had this problem with a guest who is severely allergic to mushrooms, but we wanted to keep to our tradition of mushroom bread pudding. The allergy is so bad I didn't want to risk cross contamination by making one bread pudding with mushrooms and another without. I was just going to add extra onions, letting them caramelize a bit more than usual, and add a little extra garlic. While I was chopping the garlic, had an AHA moment --- black garlic! Since we happened to have some, used a couple of heads, chopped them up, put them in with the onions about 5 minutes before the regular garlic went in for a minute or 2. The black garlic added a bit too much sweetness, so I will either cut down on the amount and/or chop even finer or maybe even put it in a food processor with some of the onion and make a paste of it, possibly even add something bitter or acidy to counteract the sweetness, but, otherwise, the black garlic worked very well as a mushroom substitute. It added the umami, earthy tones of the mushrooms very, very well.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:09 AM

26,844 posts, read 5,734,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Thanks for the responses! I am looking mostly at stir-fries & vegetarian meatloaf at the moment. Pizza is way out of line for me as I am allergic to tomatoes, dairy and most of the add-ons -- like mushrooms and pepperoni.

I'd just leave them out....no specific replacement. Vegetarian meatloaf....the recipe I use has bell peppers and zucchini for flavor and to keep meatloaf moist. Recipe by Bobby Flay under Food Network.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'd just leave them out....no specific replacement. Vegetarian meatloaf....the recipe I use has bell peppers and zucchini for flavor and to keep meatloaf moist. Recipe by Bobby Flay under Food Network.

A little late to be making suggestions for the OP as the thread is over 4 years old and he/she hasn't been on this site in a while. I just posted about the black garlic idea I had since this site is 1 of the ones that came up when I was looking for a mushroom substitute in case my idea was useful to anyone else looking for the same in the future.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:36 AM

55,588 posts, read 54,188,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
I just had this problem with a guest who is severely allergic to mushrooms, but we wanted to keep to our tradition of mushroom bread pudding. The allergy is so bad I didn't want to risk cross contamination by making one bread pudding with mushrooms and another without. I was just going to add extra onions, letting them caramelize a bit more than usual, and add a little extra garlic. While I was chopping the garlic, had an AHA moment --- black garlic! Since we happened to have some, used a couple of heads, chopped them up, put them in with the onions about 5 minutes before the regular garlic went in for a minute or 2. The black garlic added a bit too much sweetness, so I will either cut down on the amount and/or chop even finer or maybe even put it in a food processor with some of the onion and make a paste of it, possibly even add something bitter or acidy to counteract the sweetness, but, otherwise, the black garlic worked very well as a mushroom substitute. It added the umami, earthy tones of the mushrooms very, very well.
WAIT JUST A MINUTE HERE!

Mushroom bread pudding?????

Can you tell me how you make this? I have always had bread pudding as a sweet dish, not a savory one, but this sounds good!

Old 12-31-2018, 10:24 AM

Posting under recipes now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food