U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:46 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,350,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I looked up some recipes for Tofu tonight, I hope to try it again soon. I think its a texture thing rather than taste but we will see how it goes.
I didn't like tofu until I learned that "draining" it meant more than just cutting a slit in the package and turning it on its side. I mean, I did it that way for years and it was okay, but now that I wrap it in a cloth and press it with a pan on top for about 15 minutes, that makes it better IMO.

And baking it first to get it a little crispy is nice: How To Make Baked Tofu for Salads, Sandwiches & Snacks

I'm sure the long time vegetarians and vegans are rolling their eyes at me, but there you have it, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 03:48 AM

735 posts, read 726,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Why would coffee drinkers not care about health? Moderate coffee consumption is associated with health benefits, not health risks.
Like alcoholic beverages, there are both health benefits & detriments associated with drinking coffee.

Also, I've tried drinking coffee moderately for a couple of months, and the way it affected me wasn't good for me. It caused me to become impatient, irritable, caused rashes, and was causing my hair to fall out in clumps. I think it was affecting hormones, but I don't know for certain. When I stopped drinking it, my health returned to normal.

Quote:
And what is the issue with carageenan? Some people may be sensitive to it but its just an extract from an edible seaweed.
I read it's reported to be linked with some cases of intestinal tumors, but recall it depends on the type of carageenan which there was mentioned to be a few. However, ingredient labels don't say what form of carageenan is used in products, so there's no definite way to distinguish what kind is put in products. For myself, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Quote:
Veganism has nothing to with concern for your health.
For you anyway.

Quote:
In any case, I really don't eat any of the meat alternatives. I do use soy milk but soy milk is not a "milk alternative", its a traditional food product that tastes nothing like dairy milk that existed well before dairy milk consumption was common place.
It's marketed as a milk alternative, but I agree, it doesn't taste like what I remember milk to taste like. It can taste a lot better (depending on the brand). Rice milk also.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:56 AM

735 posts, read 726,746 times
Yesterday, I tried a vegan "crab cake" and either my memory of what crab tasted like is wrong or the "crab cake" was just awful.

Not that I even liked crab when I used to eat meat. I used to just go crabbing for the sport and gave the crabs away to neighborhood friends.

However, I used to love fish & shrimp, if there are any healthy, non-chemical ingredient substitute recommendations of those to look for & try.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:49 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,421,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
Like alcoholic beverages, there are both health benefits & detriments associated with drinking coffee.
As with alcohol, you only see negative impacts on health with excessive coffee consumption. Moderate coffee consumption doesn't have any detriments and, as I mentioned, is even associated with some health benefits. The idea that people drinking coffee are, in general, negatively impacting their body and therefore don't care about their health isn't based on the available science.

As for your experience with coffee, some people are sensitive to caffeine. Some people will die if they eat a single peanut. Adverse reactions in an individual don't tell you about how something effects the population as a whole.

Quote:
I read it's reported to be linked with some cases of intestinal tumors, but recall it depends on the type of carageenan which there was mentioned to be a few. However, ingredient labels don't say what form of carageenan is used in products..
Only undegraded carageenan is approved for food use so you do know which type you're eating it, the studies that showed cancerous growth were based on degraded carageenan (poligeenan).

Quote:
For you anyway.
The definition of vegan has nothing to do with health.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 PM

4,639 posts, read 5,090,558 times
Kite Hill vegan cheese is perfect, but pricey. Always read labels on an veggie cheese. Whey and casein are NOT vegan.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:32 AM

4,103 posts, read 6,062,711 times
Boca patties and crumbles. I don't like Daiya cheese.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:41 AM

18 posts, read 17,637 times
I am a VERY PICKY vegan who converted from being a vegetarian and I do not like tempeh. As a vegetarian there are more prepared food choices in the store but I like knowing what is going into my body. Many of the meat alternatives are too salty for me. I now make about 95% of all my food. Thank goodness I was a great cook to begin with or I would be wasting a lot of money...LOL.

Last edited by Zsnaani; 07-20-2014 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 12:19 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,213,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I find some fake meats to be really tasty, actually.

I also don't think it needs to be such a black and white thing. Really, I might go a month without touching any kind of fake meat but every now and then I might want to make a breakfast burrito with some Field Roast chorizo in it, or make a "ham" sandwich with pickles for lunch. Obviously any kind of processed food should be eaten in moderation but if one likes the taste of some of the fake meat or cheese stuff in the context of a varied, healthy diet with lots of fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains, then what is the harm?

Really well said. I include imitation meats a few times per week. I the Summer they are good on the gril.

I really don't hate any vegetarian foods. I love all vegetables and fruits. I am picky about fresh veggies - seldom frozen. Never canned.

The food that I hate most is meat. I don't care if it's grass fed, or free range or organic. As of the past ew months, I don't eat meat.

For omnivorous who have objections to the processed part of prepared veg sausage or hot dogs - get a grip! Look at what's in your real meats.
When I ate meat, I avoided hot dogs and sausages, because of the nitrates and the ingredients - repulsive.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:56 PM

5,127 posts, read 10,247,345 times
I pretty much HATE all the vegan "cheese" out there, except for Treeline, which is a nut based cheese. I also want to try Miyoko's Kitchen "cheese" once it becomes available and other nut cheeses.
Funny thing is that cheese was the last thing I gave up and I fought it would be hard... now that I have been away from it for a long time, I find it is quite vile and nasty. Even the cheese samples at Whole Foods do not tempt me in the last

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-16-2014, 11:53 AM

239 posts, read 169,494 times
katzenfreund: I agree about the cheese, it even smells gross now when I walk through that section of the market, my husband and I refer to it as "puss juice." Agree about the vegan cheeses too. I've taken to making my own cultured nut cheeses.

I seem to be unable to find a vegan shortening source that does not contain evil ingredients. That Earth Balance junk has both Canola Oil (super duper evil) and Palm Oil (an environmental and animal disaster) and I refuse to eat either. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could maybe make my own shortening? Or any alternatives? Maybe just use olive oil?

I tend to avoid the store bought meat alternatives because they contain soy, as well as the above mentioned nasty ingredients. I do like to make seitan and use different marinades to change up the flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or