Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 07:31 PM

306 posts, read 545,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I got 2 large containers of McCormick's Bacon Bits (made from soy, etc.) for free at a food bank a while ago. I've only ever used them on baked potatoes or in salad.

Can I cook with these? I'm wondering in particular if they would be good in a quiche with spinach.

Anyone ever cook with them in something like this? Other than just sprinkling them on something?

I'd hate to ruin a whole quiche, if they will turn weird and mushy or something.

Thanks!
I've used those years ago, and they were fine. I used them in salads and also as a topping on things like cooked veg, and also in stuff like noodles. When I used them in noodles, I did use quite a bit and they were fine. The only thing that happens to them if you cook them too long is they get a little soft but they don't taste bad or anything like that (not to me anyway). You may want to limit your consumption of those because they are pretty high in sodium. Oh Ive also used them in soups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 10:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
I've used those years ago, and they were fine. I used them in salads and also as a topping on things like cooked veg, and also in stuff like noodles. When I used them in noodles, I did use quite a bit and they were fine. The only thing that happens to them if you cook them too long is they get a little soft but they don't taste bad or anything like that (not to me anyway). You may want to limit your consumption of those because they are pretty high in sodium. Oh Ive also used them in soups.
Thank you! I forgot about this thread, and I was re-organizing my spice shelf the other day, and still have all those bacon bits lol! I think I will try them in some soup - not the whole batch, just some in a bowl of hot soup and see how they do. They might be okay in an omelette, too...

Old 09-26-2014, 12:52 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Yes I have cooked with them. I have also used them in a quiche with good results.
It's been a long time since I have eaten quiche baked with bacon, but as I recall the bacon when cooked in the quiche does not retain it's crispness either.

They do stay chewy and add the texture and and flavor that I think you are seeking.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:03 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Not too bad sprinkled on cheesy or plain grits, daughter uses them in potato based casseroles, au gratin and the like.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:17 AM

50,342 posts, read 63,918,476 times
No, I'm not vegetarian, but I bet you'd be OK if you sprinkled the soy ones on a finished dish, instead of putting them in it.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:23 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not too bad sprinkled on cheesy or plain grits, daughter uses them in potato based casseroles, au gratin and the like.
Yes! I second the grits! Also, all of the other dishes that you mentioned. They go well with anything cheesey and creamy.

Twice Baked Potatoes are another of my favorite ways to use them!

Old 10-04-2014, 12:51 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,948 times
I just went vegetarian a few days ago. I still love good milk and eggs, and I don't miss meat. Except maybe a chicken kebab.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:12 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Thank you! I forgot about this thread, and I was re-organizing my spice shelf the other day, and still have all those bacon bits lol! I think I will try them in some soup - not the whole batch, just some in a bowl of hot soup and see how they do. They might be okay in an omelette, too...
Bacos, like cockroaches and Twinkies, will all survive Armageddon. Bacos at least taste good, and they're vegan. There is an unfortunate side effect of cooking with bacos though - the artificial food coloring they use to make them will run off and stain whatever food they're cooked in, if that food is cooked with a lot of moisture. If you eat enough of them out of the jar they stain your tongue red. I know this from experience!

Old 10-24-2014, 05:50 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,667,161 times
I use them in veggie BLT's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food