U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 10:30 AM

7,104 posts, read 9,318,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Arsenic is a naturally-occurring element in the soil/ ground water. ALL rice and certain other crops have it. Depending on where the rice is grown, some brands have much higher arsenic levels than others. Anyway, I'm trying to eat on the cheap lately, which is how I ended up with a $5 5lb bag of brown rice. I am in no position right now to be shelling out extra $ for certified organic ANYTHING.

I backed down on my consumption and got active again. I had been sedentary for a few days when I first posted this, so being sedentary & eating loads of arsenic = probably not a good combo. So I'm active again and going easy on the rice. No chest pains simce that day. But that day the pains were coming in waves all day long. Freaked me out. And I was a bit depressed too so that's why the woe-is-me tone of the OP.

OVER N OUT.
But food grown in high-arsenic soil is going to produce a lot of things high in arsenic, not just brown rice. And let's be real, one 5-lb bag of rice is not going to have enough arsenic in it to cause ANYTHING -- unless someone who wants to dead dosed it with ant killer or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 12:44 PM

12,476 posts, read 17,419,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
In light of its high arsenic levels, FDA-recommends no more than 1 cup per week of rice. White rice is lower in arsenic than brown, but white has a higher glycemic index. So I go for brown. The bag I found was a good price. Brown rice is nutritious, energizing. Have been consuming a bit more than the recommended max 1cup/week.
The FHA does not have this recommendation, in fact, they haven't set any limit for rice. The FDA states that the levels of arsenic in rice are too low to cause immediate or short-term health issues, they are primarily concerned about long-term intake.

But if you're worry, you can eat less rice and eat more of other grains and legumes. Other grains and legumes are just as cheap as rice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
As the arsenic in rice is absorbed from pesticides and fertilizers and runoff from sprayed fields and la de da, just avoid those brands. The arsenic content in certified-organic brown rice is going to be zilch. If you're that worried about it, just buy organic.
The arsenic in rice is being absorbed from the soil, not from pesticides/fertilizers being used, also organic produce uses pesticides and fertilizers its just that they are restricted to "natural" ones. Organic arsenic can occur in organic products.

"Because arsenic is naturally found in the soil and water, it is absorbed by plants regardless of whether they are grown under conventional or organic farming practices. The FDA is unaware of any data that shows a difference in the amount of arsenic found in organic rice versus non-organic rice"

Questions & Answers: Arsenic in Rice and Rice Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But food grown in high-arsenic soil is going to produce a lot of things high in arsenic, not just brown rice.
Rice uptakes arsenic at a much higher rate than other crops, even other grains.

The best thing you could to avoid arsenic in rice is wash the rice and buy rice grown in some other countries, for example samples from Thailand and India have 2~4 times less arsenic:

http://consumerreports.org/content/d...r%202012_1.pdf

Old 07-03-2014, 11:18 PM

735 posts, read 726,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
You should invest in a collander or strainer, if you're going to go through all that trouble. Put the strainer in a pot filled with water, dump the rice in over the strainer, stir it up good with a wooden spoon, then lift the strainer out of the pot - which takes all the rice out too. Dump the pot out, refill it with water, and repeat.

Takes half the time, no risk of losing any rice at all, and no risk of mess.
I'm not satisfied with the cleaning job unless I shake the grains in a container of water between rinses.

I have a strainer, but I only use it when I wash my lentil beans because the saponin from lentil beans makes it too difficult to not lose a lot of beans if I don't use the strainer.

Washing rice without a strainer is easy for me because the water doesn't turn thick with saponin like it does when I wash lentil beans. I barely lose any grains if any during the washing process.

It's more effort, but I can certainly get the outside of the grains cleaned. Shaking the grains in water is sort of like the sonic cleaning method some jewelers & watch repair people use to clean items only a slower agitation speed.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:51 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,684,363 times
Lately I have been laying off the brown rice entirely and have been feeling much more energetic & well. Have been eating kale, olive oil, almond butter, nuts, blueberries, oats, almond milk, maple as a sweetener when needed...

Now my next vice to figure a way around is legumes. Paleos have declared that there are problems with legumes because ...well you can read up on it if you'd like. Basically I've been eating legumes because they're not only filling but I thought they were nutritious too.

Actually after eating them, I feel noticeably less-than-radiantly healthy.

When I eat kale I feel like I have enough energy to conquer the world. Wish I could feel like that all the time but of course it's not realistic or appetizing to eat kale all the time.

When I eat legumes I feel dull and heavy.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:59 PM

3,228 posts, read 2,843,987 times
I have thyroid issues and I have to be careful of things as well. It's annoying.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:38 AM

2,729 posts, read 712,229 times
How about trying quinoa? Freekah? I use both instead of rice.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 PM

Rice and beans are not vices. Alcohol and mystery novels are.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:01 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,684,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
How about trying quinoa? Freekah? I use both instead of rice.
Yes I knoooooooow but I'm eating on a budget, remember?? I have quinoa in my cupboard, it's my absolute fave grain/protein, thanks for bringing it up. Have half a bag left. Saving it for absolute last resort, a special treat for a time of need.

At the moment I am experimenting with sprouting a batch of brown rice, seeing 1) if it's even possible to sprout brown rice(?); and 2)if so, if sprouting helps reduce arsenic content and/or maximize nutritional value. The only way I can measure that is based on how I feel after consuming it.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Yes I knoooooooow but I'm eating on a budget, remember?? I have quinoa in my cupboard, it's my absolute fave grain/protein, thanks for bringing it up. Have half a bag left. Saving it for absolute last resort, a special treat for a time of need.

At the moment I am experimenting with sprouting a batch of brown rice, seeing 1) if it's even possible to sprout brown rice(?); and 2)if so, if sprouting helps reduce arsenic content and/or maximize nutritional value. The only way I can measure that is based on how I feel after consuming it.
Sprouting will not reduce arsenic content. Arsenic is a heavy metal that will just distribute itself along the sprout if the rice is sprouted. It will raise the level of certain vitamins and other phytochemicals in the rice, however, because the plant will start to photosynthesize instead of just being a storage packet for potential plant energy.

Have you thought of researching the brand of rice you're so worried about to see if there is any significant arsenic content?

Old 06-29-2015, 05:34 PM
JL

7,348 posts, read 11,857,038 times
I've been eating this lately. Is anyone here eating this too? I wish the sodium was lower with the one on the left, but im hoping this is much healthier. Anyone have recommendations on brown rice from the bags? I shop at Costco, so if you shop there also, let me know which brand you recommend. I'm trying to eliminate white rice all together if possible. Thanks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or