Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:27 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times

Advertisements

There actually hasn't been any such hijacking of secular vegetarianism, as vacuously claimed above. Instead secular vegetarianism in the United States remains firmly grounded in its basic principles outlined in Animal Liberation forty years ago.

The only relevant aspects that could even remotely be considered hijacking are [a] the relatively innocuous insinuation of health considerations into vegetarianism, and [b] the ridiculously inane political haranguing such as what we see in the message above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
There actually hasn't been any such hijacking of secular vegetarianism, as vacuously claimed above. Instead secular vegetarianism in the United States remains firmly grounded in its basic principles outlined in Animal Liberation forty years ago.

The only relevant aspects that could even remotely be considered hijacking are [a] the relatively innocuous insinuation of health considerations into vegetarianism, and [b] the ridiculously inane political haranguing such as what we see in the message above.
I don't agree with much of what the right has to say either.
So smack me around if you must, but I'll stick by the health benefits, as they're clearly making a difference.

Not trying to derail the thread, but I've got little-to-no friends, let alone in any particular movement.
I just spout what I do and call it a night, bUU.

No leaving out names for me.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:39 AM
bUU

Like I said, the health conscious angle is innocuous.

You say you're don't leave out names, yet you did. <shrug>

Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkergraduate View Post
Men need more protein than women.
^^^this^^^ I know the argument has been presented that this is a myth, but I disagree about that. If you take "in shape" people from a large variety of genetic backgrounds, Men will be larger/taller, stronger, and heavier in most (if not all) situations. There is a difference between the sexes, it's undeniable. Those differences result in different protein requirements all other things remaining equal.

I'm an in shape guy who appreciates the idea of eating vegetarian as much as anyone else, but I don't have the time nor energy to eat that way. I know that I can cook up a tiny piece of organic grass-fed free-range bison, lamb, or chicken and with some vegetables and fruit (and some daily supplements) I obtain everything my body needs to not digest itself for a whole day or two.

That's huge for me; I'm active, I like to weight-lift, and I like remaining strong. I cannot spend an hour or two making or consuming each meal and my perception (whether right or wrong) is that to eat vegetarian I would have to make and consume pretty large quantities of food to get everything I need to keep myself the way I am. I see myself someday cutting meat out of my diet (or minimizing it even more), but for now it just isn't practical.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:12 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
^^^this^^^ I know the argument has been presented that this is a myth, but I disagree about that.
Disagreement would come in the form of scientific counter-arguments to the prevailing scientific conclusions.

Quote:
The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day
Protein | The Nutrition Source | Harvard School of Public Health

What you're expressing is the decision to ignore the scientific information and instead rely on your personal preference, with regard to this aspect of health. You're surely entitled to do so.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I agree, because it's divisive and prevents others from taking veg'nism seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
But back to the original subject, I'm still kind of put off by the fact that vegetarianism has been almost completely hijacked by not-so-much women, but rather nutty, left-wing political movements.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:06 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Disagreement would come in the form of scientific counter-arguments to the prevailing scientific conclusions.

Protein | The Nutrition Source | Harvard School of Public Health

What you're expressing is the decision to ignore the scientific information and instead rely on your personal preference, with regard to this aspect of health. You're surely entitled to do so.
You are wrong about what I stated, implied, and/or expressed in my prior post. After you read this, please go back and re-read what I wrote.

Men weigh more and thus need to eat more. Men also "generally" have a higher percentage of lean muscle mass. Both those things contribute to protein need. Thus a correlation that Men generally need more protein than women is accurate. That has in part summarized what I stated and the article you quoted has in effect backed up that conclusion rather nicely for me (thank you).

Old 01-26-2015, 12:35 PM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Thus a correlation that Men generally need more protein than women is accurate.
The statement I corrected and that you ratified with six carets was "Men need more protein than women". It didn't say "generally" and it didn't indicate the relevant parameter, i.e., body mass. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. I appreciated the opportunity to provide a reference to the scientific information making it clear that gender isn't relevant, and that body mass is.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:22 PM

266 posts, read 285,657 times
Plenty of protein in nuts and beans and eggs and dairy.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
All plants respire. The photosynthesize too, and that predominates when there is daylight, but they respire 24/7 and need oxygen.
Let me fix that for you, "No land animals". I'm not sure how much suffering a plant is capable of but, Hey, who knows? If animal suffering is involved in my food, I'm causing it and minimizing it to the extent that is possible, not trusting some food producer to do it for me. So far, I'm not concerned with plant suffering but that could change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food