Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:01 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
It took me quite some time to develop a love for tofu, mostly because I'm not into mushy foods. But once I got to experimenting and finding ways to make it more appealing, I fell in love. The easiest are fried tofu triangles, which I make by slicing the tofu (make sure it's firm or extra firm, water-packed tofu) into 1/2 inch thick slabs, press the liquid out, cut them into triangles, then dust them with a flour and fry them in just enough cover the bottom the pan. Once they're nice and crisp, drain them on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. They're very tasty as is, but if you want to add them to a meal. Another variation is cut the tofu in cubes before frying, which really good when tossed into a salad or just eaten as is. I also make tofu "bacon" once in while, which is really easy.

If you have an Asian market in your area, you can find a lot of tofu variations. In the refrigerated section, look for tofu noodles, which look sort of like rubber bands and have a texture similar to linguine. Another good choice is dried yuba, which are nice and chewy when you add them to a stir-fry. Also try inari, which is basically a block of fried tofu that looks sort of like a knish, but the inside is hollow so you can fill it with rice and veggies.
Thank you. Good ideas. Too soon to rep you again.

I bet the fried tofu triangles is what I saw the guy eating at the writer's retreat.

I'm in Jersey. There's got to be an Asian market near me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 12:37 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,759,271 times
I personally love the 'mush' of tofu. For a much more textured version, try freezing it. How to Freeze Tofu

Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I make butternut squash and apple curry soup. Usually 2 squashes, peeled and cubed into a pot, 2 apples cubed, about an inch of ginger grated in, cover in water and cook until soft, add some salt and curry powder to taste, put it into a blender in batches to puree, add more water if needed or coconut milk if you like.

I put it into a hot togo cup and can have some at work during the day when I get the munchies.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:37 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,468,109 times
I am not vegan but occasionally I cook for friends and relatives that are. This my favourite vegan soup.Spicy Vegan Black Bean Soup - Cookie and Kate It really is very hearty and very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food