Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:00 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times

Advertisements

I am 21 years old male and in college.

I find the college meal plans to be expensive so i was thinking of cooking for myself. Then i thought about eating and following the vegetarian diet because it might be more affordable and of course more healthy.

I am also a amateur boxer but i don't know much about the vegetarian diet, whether or not it will help me.

Is being a vegetarian cheaper for an athlete and should an athlete follow a vegetarian diet, has it been proven to be better than "common meals with meat"

I'm looking at info by my own but would like opinions on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 03:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Depends. If you replace meat with meat analogs (veggie burgers, veggie bacon, etc), then no it is not cheaper, and certainly not healthier. However, if you replace meat with tofu, tempeh, beans, legumes and lentils, then it is generally cheaper. What I usually do is cook up big batches of veg'n meals, and the freeze them in individual portions. For example, chick pea curry, rice & beans, tofu and veggie stir-fry, minestrone soup, seitan stew, meatless chili.

I can't give too much advice on being a vegetarian athlete, but I there are some pro athletes who are [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegetarians"]vegetarian[/URL] or [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegans"]vegan[/URL], so I would look into what their diet looks like to get a better idea.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 03-04-2015 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 03:40 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Cooking for yourself WILL save your money, no matter what. And it will be healthier!

Old 03-04-2015, 03:46 PM

577 posts, read 899,956 times
I've found dairy to be very expensive. Meat like chicken parts are cheap. Eggs are very cheap. I used to be vegan but now I eat omni low carb for health reasons (diabetes). I eat lots of greens and moderate amounts of chicken, eggs, and the occasional lamb. Peanut butter is also cheap. Rice and beans are extremely cheap!

Old 03-05-2015, 04:14 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
It use to be conventional wisdom to believe that meat was a poor mans food. But I think that was before getting nutrition started to out weigh getting full after a meal.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:37 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Depends. If you replace meat with meat analogs (veggie burgers, veggie bacon, etc), then no it is not cheaper, and certainly not healthier. However, if you replace meat with tofu, tempeh, beans, legumes and lentils, then it is generally cheaper. What I usually do is cook up big batches of veg'n meals, and the freeze them in individual portions. For example, chick pea curry, rice & beans, tofu and veggie stir-fry, minestrone soup, seitan stew, meatless chili.

I can't give too much advice on being a vegetarian athlete, but I there are some pro athletes who are vegetarian or vegan, so I would look into what their diet looks like to get a better idea.
Definitely agree with those foods, especially since they're less prone to spoiling like green vegetables.

I've been sticking with the 5x5 weight lifting program and slowly, but surely weaning the meats and other animal products out of my diet due to gout reasons.
Stir fried onions, tofu, and mushrooms do wonders when making a "beef-less broccoli".

I figure if I could make it more of an every day thing instead of a chore, I'll stick with it longer.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:24 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Yes, I think it's alot cheaper.

We are slowly (more slowly than I'd like) becoming vegetarian. It took awhile to for my husband to get over the idea that a "meal" was a meat entree with two sides (a starch and a vegetable).

Beyond the health and financial benefits - I have found that meatless entrees are easier to scale up or down. Often if I go to buy a roast or a package of chicken breast , there will be more than I need and the pricing will be much better if you buy a lot. Meat often comes packaged in "family packs" and several of our local stores don't run meat sales, they run BOGO's (Buy one get one free). If I buy just the amount I need - it's more expensive.

Are you living in dorms or do you have some sort of cooking facilities?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Others have addressed the financial part. I'll address the boxing part: Plenty of vegetarian and vegan bodybuilders out there who don't do steroids, so if you're worried about muscle mass, I'd say it shouldn't matter as long as you're getting adequate protein from other sources. Heck, if anything, it might make you lighter on your feet!

Best Vegan and Vegetarian Protein Sources - Health.com

9 Super-Healthy, Vegetarian Protein Sources | Rodale News

Protein for Vegetarians - Cooking Light

Old 03-06-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Yes, I think it's alot cheaper.

We are slowly (more slowly than I'd like) becoming vegetarian. It took awhile to for my husband to get over the idea that a "meal" was a meat entree with two sides (a starch and a vegetable).

Beyond the health and financial benefits - I have found that meatless entrees are easier to scale up or down. Often if I go to buy a roast or a package of chicken breast , there will be more than I need and the pricing will be much better if you buy a lot. Meat often comes packaged in "family packs" and several of our local stores don't run meat sales, they run BOGO's (Buy one get one free). If I buy just the amount I need - it's more expensive.

Are you living in dorms or do you have some sort of cooking facilities?
Its an aparment with a kitchen. I also have a mini fridge on my room

Old 03-06-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Others have addressed the financial part. I'll address the boxing part: Plenty of vegetarian and vegan bodybuilders out there who don't do steroids, so if you're worried about muscle mass, I'd say it shouldn't matter as long as you're getting adequate protein from other sources. Heck, if anything, it might make you lighter on your feet!

Best Vegan and Vegetarian Protein Sources - Health.com

9 Super-Healthy, Vegetarian Protein Sources | Rodale News

Protein for Vegetarians - Cooking Light
Yeah i am thinking it will balance my weight better and keep me at the weight i nees to be to compete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food