Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:26 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times

Advertisements

Tempeh is really tasty fried in oil and served with rice and spices.....my brother-in-law is Dutch Indonesian and that is my favorite meal he makes -- well that, and pork satay with peanut sauce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Tempeh is really tasty fried in oil and served with rice and spices.....my brother-in-law is Dutch Indonesian and that is my favorite meal he makes -- well that, and pork satay with peanut sauce
Try and get the Indonesian 'ketchap manis' to go with that - it's a sweet-ish, thicker version of soy sauce - and, with the crispy fried tempeh - ooh glorious!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:49 AM

445 posts, read 1,983,952 times
If you are not in the mood to cook,there are some healthy frozen foods. Amy's kitchen makes pretty good stuff. The whole line is meatless. They have burritos,whole meals,pizzas and lots of other stuff.The stuff is awesome.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:08 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times
My husband's a vegan, which means I am too (pretty much) when we eat at home. We use the Morningstar burger crumbles a lot for things like chili, manwich and tacos (or just add taco seasoning to vegetarian refried beans).

Last night I made makeshift chicken parm. Used the Morningstar fake chicken strips, dipped them in cracker meal and sauteed them until brown. Laid them out on a cookie sheet, covered with spaghetti sauce and mozzerella cheese (real for me, fake for him) and baked until cheese was melted. It turned out really well... I impressed myself.

Also, pizza's really easy in a pinch. Get pitas, cover w/pizza sauce and fake cheese, veggies, etc. Or if you're feeling lazy, call Papa John's or whoever you get pizza from and just order a veggie, no cheese.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:29 PM

157 posts, read 624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
These are good suggestions. I've never tried cooking tofu, although I order it a lot at restaurants and enjoy it. I probably should figure out good ways to use it as a meat substitute - in stir fry sounds great. Do you just cut it up and toss it in like meat in the beginning with the oil? Can you marinade it?
Along with Fat Freddy's great suggetions you can also make scrambled tofu by crumbling it after all the water is absorbed. It's ver quick to prepare. Just add your favorite spices and seasonings and fry lightly in a little oil. I like to add tumeric seasoning because it gives it a yellow color. It's great over rice, in sandwiches or wrapped in flour tortillas.

Another simple dish is to make a thick soup like gravy using the mixed frozen vegetables, corn/peas/carrots/and green bean mix. Use flour, milk, a little butter or margerine, and your favorite gravy seasonongs and throw in cubed veggie chicken or turkey and pour over buscuits after it is thickened. Very delicious especially during the winter months.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:07 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I would not know how to cook if I was a vegetarian, but I have enjoyed meals at veg restaurants. What I would do is go to some good gourmet markets where they sell prepared foods, and the vegetarian restaurants, and see what new combinations they have that you hadn't thought of before. I notice they use a lot of fruits and nuts with a variety of grains at my market. You can do thinks like stuffed grape leaves and other ethnic foods.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I would not know how to cook if I was a vegetarian...
Vegetarian cooking is not some specialized method involving combining weird exotic ingredients. It just means not using meat.

For example, if you do Italian cooking, you make tomato sauce.
If you are a vegetarian, you make tomato sauce without meat.
You still use olive oil, onions, garlic, green peppers, tomatoes, spices, etc.

You can also add vegetarian "ground meat", sausages, or meatballs.

You can take basically the same ingredients, add chilli spices, salsa, and a little hot sauce or pepper flakes, and have the base for a whole range of Mexican cooking. Add ground soy meat and you have chilli or taco filling. Add black beans and you have chile and beans.

Leave out the Italian or Mexican spices and use Cajun or Creole spices and you have the beginning of a Gumbo. Serve it over rice.
Add red beans and you've got Louisiana style red Beans and rice.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:20 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,397,205 times
I have a really good recipe for Tofu dip.

1 pkg silken tofu
1/2 cup black or green ( not salty ) olives
2-3 tbsp cut onion
1 clove garlic
a few squeezes of lemon
salt and pepper to taste
Put all into blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
You can also add other veggies or seasoning.

Makes great veggie dip or mayo and lots of protein.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
egg plant parmigana
spaghetti squash
grilled portabella mushrooms
gnocchi
risotto simmered in vegetable stock
baked stuffed tomatoes (stuff with herbs, bread crumbs, etc)
vegetable tempura
arancini (Italian rice balls)
quiche (if you eat eggs)
grilled veggies in pita pockets
linguini primavera

Old 01-19-2008, 07:45 PM

402 posts, read 2,210,665 times
Here's a couple of my favorites: (I'm not a vegetarian, but love these!)

Seven Layer Tortilla Pie - Allrecipes
and
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Beans-N-Rice/Detail.aspx....just (broken link) leave out the ham (I don't like it in there anyway!....I'm making this one this week!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food