Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 10:56 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,043,730 times

Advertisements

Lentils and rice is a favorite dish of mine. I like to top it with caramelized onions. Serve with a green salad containing all sorts of raw veggies and cornbread or a crusty baguette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 12:44 PM

88,492 posts, read 84,635,392 times
I made lentil soup for my sick daughter yesterday. It was very filling, but it was also very thick, more like a stew.

It's basic mirepoix to start then chopped fresh spinach, vegetable broth, canned diced tomatoes, and lentils, and then I add in smoked salt and lots of black pepper. Had toasted bread on the side, and we were good.

I have a diner near me that has a good lentil soup, different from mine, on Wednesdays. Sometimes I get a grilled cheese with it. This doesn't work for vegans, but a vegan sandwich would.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,374,267 times
Add white or sweet potatoes and make a chunky soup. Serve with big crusty bread/rolls.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:29 PM

24,076 posts, read 32,418,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I like Lentils, but its not filling enough...for any Lentils eaters on here, what can be eaten with Lentils that makes it more filling?

I LOVE lentils and lentil soup is one of my favorite foods! I don't have and exact recipe, but I always include -

1. LOTS of greens.

2. small roasted potatoes.

3.Carrots and celery.

I find that very filling, with a crusty bread and a salad, it lasts several nights, and is always better the next day and the next.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:56 AM

24,076 posts, read 32,418,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I made lentil soup for my sick daughter yesterday. It was very filling, but it was also very thick, more like a stew.

It's basic mirepoix to start then chopped fresh spinach, vegetable broth, canned diced tomatoes, and lentils, and then I add in smoked salt and lots of black pepper. Had toasted bread on the side, and we were good.

I have a diner near me that has a good lentil soup, different from mine, on Wednesdays. Sometimes I get a grilled cheese with it. This doesn't work for vegans, but a vegan sandwich would.

I start with a basic mirepoix also, to which I add a couple of cloves of crushed garlic. Mine is pretty stew like also. Sometimes I add crushed tomatoes,but mostly I use garlic, and lemon.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:05 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,299,354 times
Lentils and rice would be fine, but I am imagining home baked whole wheat bread paired with the lentils. Yummy!

Old 12-10-2017, 11:11 AM

88,492 posts, read 84,635,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I start with a basic mirepoix also, to which I add a couple of cloves of crushed garlic. Mine is pretty stew like also. Sometimes I add crushed tomatoes,but mostly I use garlic, and lemon.
Yes, I also add garlic to mine. Forgot that.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,466,159 times
I keep homemade lentil/veggie soup on hand - I can it. When I want to get really full with that as a meal, I eat a bunch of bread with it. My recent favorite, is pan pascale from Trader Joe's - it's a brown sourdough type of bread, made from sourdough starter which is just flour, water and salt. I toast the bread and eat it plain, dipped into the soup. And I eat a lot of the bread, then finish up what's left of the soup.

In my last batch of lentil/veggie soup, I put in a bunch of small chunks of sweet potato because I had a bunch of them. They made it really good, and helped it be more filling - but I will still also eat some bread with it, if I'm really hungry. I also, really like the flavor of spinach with lentils, so I often add spinach to my lentil soup.

I also sometimes add lentils to my breakfast taco mix. I have corn tortillas with a mix every morning that has basically beans/rice and veggies in it. Sometimes I add lentils into that mix, too.

As someone else mentioned, you can also cook them up, and then blend them in your blender to get a thick paste. You can add this to soups, etc., to thicken them up. Or use it as a starter for soup. Add some veggie broth or tomato juice/broth, and some veggies, etc., to make a quick soup.

By the way, they freeze great. I freeze them up in baggies with some of the lentil water from cooking them.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:36 PM

1,704 posts, read 748,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
You can combine lentils with grains like wheat, rice, and corn to make a complete protein without animal products
This sounds good!

Also:

Thicken lentil soup with a few TBSP's of peanut butter. Add a few red pepper flakes while soup is is simmering along with a little garlic powder.

Pour this mixture over rice or pasta and consume with a nice slice of whole wheat bread.

The bread, rice, and pasta will all make good starch additions to your meal.

You might also consider making a nice tabbouleh salad and sauteing a couple slices of eggplant to accompany that delicious lentil soup of yours!

Last edited by zeliner; 12-13-2017 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-13-2017, 07:13 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,104,071 times
Sweet Potatoes are never the wrong answer. Ever. I only like lentils two ways - as soup and as a meat substitute occasionally for tacos, which are my favorite food of all time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food