U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:00 AM

17,095 posts, read 10,063,485 times

Advertisements

http://plantbasedonabudget.com/plant...person-week-1/

https://www.forksoverknives.com/heal...-tight-budget/

https://theplantphilosophy.com/plant...eek-meal-plan/

https://www.plantbasedmealplan.com

https://www.veganmainstream.com/2010...-stamp-budget/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 09:01 AM

6,396 posts, read 4,013,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Isn't pasta made with egg?
Some is, most isn't. My niece and nephew used to have severe egg allergies, so we always asked when ordering them pasta at a restaurant. Usually it was OK. One restaurant told us ALL of their pasta had egg, but I think they were lying and didn't want the liability. If you go buy a package of dried spaghetti or lasagna noodles, it doesn't have egg.

But pasta sold fresh, not dry, does have egg. And egg noodles, of course.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:11 AM

31,337 posts, read 19,764,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Some is, most isn't. My niece and nephew used to have severe egg allergies, so we always asked when ordering them pasta at a restaurant. Usually it was OK. One restaurant told us ALL of their pasta had egg, but I think they were lying and didn't want the liability. If you go buy a package of dried spaghetti or lasagna noodles, it doesn't have egg.

But pasta sold fresh, not dry, does have egg. And egg noodles, of course.
Ah, thanks for the info.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-29-2018, 09:34 AM

4,941 posts, read 6,331,448 times
I'd recommend buying a rice cooker if you don't already own one. They are great for not only cooking rice, but aiso for throwing together a quick steamed veggie meal (Just throw in something like kale, carrots, sliced potatoes, and whatever else you want).

I'm not a cook, but here are a few things that I throw together, and none of them are expensive. They are also quick.

Oatmeal with blueberries and a banana.
Scrambled hard tofu with bell peppers, seasoned to taste.
Ezekiel raisin cinnamon muffin and a banana.
Large salad with baby spinach, kale, carrots, bell peppers, a few nuts, and sliced fruit.
Baked white potato topped with beans and/or salsa. A side of steamed broccoli or a salad.
Brown rice and beans.
Baked sweet potato topped with soy milk, cinnamon, and stevia. Steamed broccoli on the side.
Ezekiel bun with avocado, baby spinach, tomato, an olive and mustard.
Almond butter sandwich on Ezekiel bread.

You can save by buying fruit and vegetables in bulk, either fresh or frozen, at a big box store like Costco.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:53 PM

55,612 posts, read 54,217,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Isn't pasta made with egg?
There are egg noodles, usually sold as "egg noodles", lol, but most pasta is flour and water shaped and dried.

I eat it occasionally, but I'm not a huge pasta freak. I remember years ago someone saying don't eat too much pasta because it's basically paper mache and it sticks to the inside of your colon. Don't know how true the stick-to-the-inside-of-your-colon part is, but that image always stayed with me.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I'd recommend buying a rice cooker if you don't already own one. They are great for not only cooking rice, but aiso for throwing together a quick steamed veggie meal (Just throw in something like kale, carrots, sliced potatoes, and whatever else you want).

I'm not a cook, but here are a few things that I throw together, and none of them are expensive. They are also quick.

Oatmeal with blueberries and a banana.
Scrambled hard tofu with bell peppers, seasoned to taste.
Ezekiel raisin cinnamon muffin and a banana.
Large salad with baby spinach, kale, carrots, bell peppers, a few nuts, and sliced fruit.
Baked white potato topped with beans and/or salsa. A side of steamed broccoli or a salad.
Brown rice and beans.
Baked sweet potato topped with soy milk, cinnamon, and stevia. Steamed broccoli on the side.
Ezekiel bun with avocado, baby spinach, tomato, an olive and mustard.
Almond butter sandwich on Ezekiel bread.

You can save by buying fruit and vegetables in bulk, either fresh or frozen, at a big box store like Costco.
Not really, unless you are buying for a family. I try to buy produce exactly the opposite, in small amounts, or it will go bad before I get to eat it.

My friend, whose adult son is temporarily living with her, bought two bunches of asparagus at a bogo sale and then learned her son wouldn't eat it. She doesn't like it much, so she rang my bell and tried to unload it on me. I took one bunch, and she wanted to give me the other, too, but I declined. WTF would I do with all that asparagus? I've still got some left almost a week later, and I don't think will be able to eat it all before it goes bad.

Sometimes a good deal isn't so good.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not really, unless you are buying for a family. I try to buy produce exactly the opposite, in small amounts, or it will go bad before I get to eat it.

My friend, whose adult son is temporarily living with her, bought two bunches of asparagus at a bogo sale and then learned her son wouldn't eat it. She doesn't like it much, so she rang my bell and tried to unload it on me. I took one bunch, and she wanted to give me the other, too, but I declined. WTF would I do with all that asparagus? I've still got some left almost a week later, and I don't think will be able to eat it all before it goes bad.

Sometimes a good deal isn't so good.
Frozen fruit and vegetables can be purchased in bulk by a single person. Also, vegans typically go through a lot of fresh vegetables, so it can be a savings to buy them in bulk. Ditto large bags of rice, beans, oats, bananas, apples, and potatoes, among other items.

I think we have all bought more than we should have, at times. The trick is to make sure one actually consumes the products.

In your friend's case, it sounds like she made the mistake of buying a lot of asparagus just because it was on sale.That's never a good idea.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Frozen fruit and vegetables can be purchased in bulk by a single person. Also, vegans typically go through a lot of fresh vegetables, so it can be a savings to buy them in bulk. Ditto large bags of rice, beans, oats, bananas, apples, and potatoes, among other items.

I think we have all bought more than we should have, at times. The trick is to make sure one actually consumes the products.

In your friend's case, it sounds like she made the mistake of buying a lot of asparagus just because it was on sale.That's never a good idea.
Sorry, I missed that you included frozen in your other post. That I do buy in bags and use just what I need.

I eat out at business events a lot because of my job, so I try not to buy too much perishable stuff.

To keep on topic, it's very frugal, because my employers are paying! . And since they are Muslim and cannot eat non-halal meat, they ask for a vegetarian alternative, and I get that right along with them. Yesterday at a luncheon, they gave us crispy tofu with jasmine rice and vegetables. On Monday we had a dish with rice, portobellos, asparagus, and carrots. Good stuff, and not only did I not have to pay for it, I was getting paid while I ate!

Now that's frugal, eh?

Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sorry, I missed that you included frozen in your other post. That I do buy in bags and use just what I need.

I eat out at business events a lot because of my job, so I try not to buy too much perishable stuff.

To keep on topic, it's very frugal, because my employers are paying! . And since they are Muslim and cannot eat non-halal meat, they ask for a vegetarian alternative, and I get that right along with them. Yesterday at a luncheon, they gave us crispy tofu with jasmine rice and vegetables. On Monday we had a dish with rice, portobellos, asparagus, and carrots. Good stuff, and not only did I not have to pay for it, I was getting paid while I ate!

Now that's frugal, eh?
Yep!

Old 03-29-2018, 11:13 PM

9,929 posts, read 22,132,137 times
When I make soup, I make a huge batch in the crockpot and then eat it during the week by itself or add pasta or rice. It can be frozen as well in individual containers. You can also make lots of rice in the rice cooker or other ways. Add veggies to it and seasonings and freeze in portions to make dinner easy. Much cheaper rice bowls than the freezer section and no weird additives.

I eat simply and have repetitive food a lot.
Breakfast: oats, water and spinach with nutritional yeast. I use frozen spinach, cook it all in a covered microwave container for 3 minutes.
Lunch, a bunch of assorted steamed veggies with rice. And whatever seasonings sound good. Sometimes I just eat a bunch of veggies, no rice.
Dinner, veggies and rice.
Also, pasta with sauce and veggies. Or pasta without sauce with lots of veggies.
Bobs red mill potato flakes transformed into mashed potatoes. Just leave out the butter in the recipe on the bag and use non dairy milk. I like Trader Joes soy beverage and cook with it often. Just organic soybeans and water. I have become accustomed to it and will also use it in my cold cereal that I have for snacks. I will also eat fruit for snacks. Celery dipped in hummus. Also bell pepper strips, radishes, english cucumbers dipped in hummus.

Other easy and cheap meals: rice with diced tomatoes and beans. Baked potatoes with chili on top. Baked potatoes with hummus. So many possibilities. I use a lot of frozen veggies, because you can usually get them cheaper than fresh, plus it's easy to throw a meal together using frozen if you are in a hurry.

Here is a simple soup I make when I need soup in a hurry: Couple cups of water or broth. A can or two of diced tomatoes. A can of beans. A couple of diced potatoes. Cumin, chili powder. Frozen corn. Toss in some pasta and let it cook with the soup. Cook til potatoes and pasta are tender. Eat. Things you really like, buy more when on sale. So you have it when you need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food