U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:23 PM

17,999 posts, read 22,723,480 times

Advertisements

Oh, and OP, have you watched Forks Over Knives? I was able to watch it for free (it's a documentary with all of these experts being interviewed, etc.) through hoopladigital.com, through my library's subscription. So, if your library subscribes to Hoopla's service, you can use your library card to register, and then depending on your library's subscription, you can download and stream movies and books, etc. I can download or stream 6 items per month. They had Forks Over Knives listed, so I could watch it for free.

Amazon Prime or Netflix might have it, too. You could check, if you have those services. It's a great documentary about the whole science of whole food, plant based diets and how it can cure heart disease, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 11:27 PM

4,940 posts, read 6,326,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Wow, that wellness retreat is a good deal. I can't afford it, but it's a good deal LOL.
Past participants occasionally discuss their retreat experiences during Gary Null's daily shows, and they all say it was extremely worthwhile.

Some physicians take their entire family there, and also make multiple visits. It seems like a really relaxing and enriching retreat, and the price truly is a bargain.

Gary Null Show Archives - Progressive Radio Network

Gary typically spends the first 15 minutes, or so, of each show discussing the latest research on health and wellness. The remainder of the program is usually devoted to social, environmental, and political commentary, discussions, and tapes.

Last edited by pacific2; 05-10-2018 at 11:46 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 11:43 PM

17,999 posts, read 22,723,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Past participants occasionally discuss their retreat experiences during Gary Null's daily shows, and they all say it was extremely worthwhile.

Some physicians take their entire families there, and also make multiple visits. It seems like a really relaxing and enriching retreat, and the price truly is a bargain.

Gary Null Show Archives - Progressive Radio Network

Gary typically spends the first 15 minutes, or so, of each show discussing the latest research on health and wellness. The remainder of the program is usually devoted to social, environmental, and political commentary; and tapes.
Very cool. I don't remember you sharing this before, but I may have missed it. I'll have to check these out. Thanks!

Old 05-11-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Very cool. I don't remember you sharing this before, but I may have missed it. I'll have to check these out. Thanks!
I don't think I have ever shared it before. Gary is an extremely knowledgeable and well-read healthcare practitioner (PhD nutritionist) who has also spent his life being involved in social causes.

I lived in Manhattan for a number of years, and that's when I first became aware of him on the radio. I can kick myself now for having been so busy that I never made it down to his nearby restaurant, or to his wellness center. I think they are both closed.

Gary still has an apartment in NYC, and a business, but I think he now spends most of his time in Florida where he grows things and rescues animals. Unless I'm mistaken, he funds Progressive Radio Network himself, and also does fund raisers for another radio station. He's often on PBS, or at least he was in the past. He's still very active, and publishes and makes award-winning video documentaries.

Gary does have his enemies who try to trash him, but the guy's remarkable.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:12 AM

Gary Null is down-to-earth and practical. These are a few of his YouTube videos that I found to be useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNUEnNa_8kI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkbdM_I-PnA

Old 05-11-2018, 09:40 AM

9,017 posts, read 9,444,931 times
Check out Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead on Netflix if you haven't (there is also a part 2). You will go out and buy a juicer the next day! You can also sign up for emails, challenges, and reboots with Joe (the creator)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227378...?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead | a Joe Cross Film

Old 05-11-2018, 11:02 PM

2,853 posts, read 1,561,251 times
I've seen all the films mentioned, very good. I'll have to look around since the special events don't work for me date wise. Rancho la Puerta is a real possibility & I'll keep looking for similar places, ideal for me is a 2-3 week stay somewhere that isn't too expensive or focused on "spa treatments". Thanks for the help!

Old 05-17-2018, 12:05 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,036,068 times
My friend has done the Summerfest in PA several times and loves it:

https://summerfest.navs-online.org/?...rg%2Fprices%2F

I wish I could afford to go.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:32 PM

643 posts, read 465,530 times
For a long stay, the cheapest "spa" (really, more like exercise camp) is Tennessee Fitness Spa. You can ask them to make your meals vegetarian/vegan and no sugar, or if it's buffet style, choose accordingly (though hidden sugar could be a problem).

Old 05-23-2018, 09:54 PM

31,274 posts, read 19,739,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
For a long stay, the cheapest "spa" (really, more like exercise camp) is Tennessee Fitness Spa. You can ask them to make your meals vegetarian/vegan and no sugar, or if it's buffet style, choose accordingly (though hidden sugar could be a problem).
That looks awesome!!! DH and I added that to our list.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or