Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:12 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times

Advertisements

So I'm feeling I need to reboot my diet from it's current condition: addicted to sugar, fat, animal protein, etc... to something based on a plant diet. This is for health reasons & I feel it would help to go to someplace that would get me through the initial weeks of where I wouldn't have easy access to unhealthy food.

Also I want it to be based on something like McDougall's whole grain based diet that I could adopt when leaving & not something that leaves out several food groups like some of the "fat farm" type places that I suspect do for fast loss but wouldn't be sustainable for me upon leaving. Weight is certainly one issue but adopting a practical diet & dropping fat/sugar addictions are my primary focus.

And I haven't been on vacation for a several years so I want to somewhere for a few weeks for a change of scene as well, a break in the routine. So I'm open to non-US places as well, but I'm not wealthy either nor need luxury "spas" - pool, gym & especially walking/hiking is optimal. Any boot camp places around like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 02:39 PM

184 posts, read 440,125 times
You might check out the Engine 2 immersion programs. They are only for 1 week in various locations (Asheville, Sedona) but it sounds similar to what you're looking for. I haven't been to an immersion program but will be attending Plant Stock in Asheville later this year. Also there's True North in Santa Rosa where you can stay and eat healthy, plant-based meals. Some go there for healing and fasting but you can also go just to eat their food and stay at their facility. There's also Rancho La Puerta in Tecate, Mexico where Chef AJ goes each year as a guest chef (I follow her program for healthy eating). It sounds very nice from what I've read!

Old 05-10-2018, 03:21 PM

Thanks, this is pretty much what I have in mind. I briefly came across Rancho La Puerto in my search, it sounds interesting, as does the other 2, wasn't aware of the Engine 2 program so that's a great suggestion!

Old 05-10-2018, 03:37 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Have you considered attending one of Dr. McDougall's intensive programs?

10-Day Live-in Program
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/p...0-day-program/

3-Day Intensive Program
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/p...nsive-program/

Old 05-10-2018, 03:40 PM

There's also Gary Null's Wellness Retreat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXmCS4B5gpY

Old 05-10-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Have you considered attending one of Dr. McDougall's intensive programs?

10-Day Live-in Program

3-Day Intensive Program
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/p...nsive-program/
I took a brief look at it, $600+/day.... even if it was $6K for 2 weeks it could be a possibility, but for 10 days that's a lot!

Old 05-10-2018, 10:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I took a brief look at it, $600+/day.... even if it was $6K for 2 weeks it could be a possibility, but for 10 days that's a lot!
Yeah, I can't afford any of these programs. I just watched a ton of videos and got books through my library by all of the whole food, plant based gurus.

Dr. McDougall also does a live webinar, and you can watch the previous episodes for free on his website. They're also on YouTube. He tends to ramble off on tangents, though, so I prefer to watch his older seminars and read his books. I think living his entire life trying to get the medical profession to listen to how diet can cure heart disease has kind of worn him down. He can come across kind of ...what's the word... not quite fanatical, but just really super frustrated.

But, his science is very rational.

I also watched videos of seminars by Dr. Essylsten (he's the dad of the Fire Engine 2 guy), and also Campbell who wrote the China Study.

If you just start watching videos and reading, and making some changes, you can also do it that way, like I did, if you can't afford the live-in programs.

I chose McDougall's starch-based diet, for 2 main reasons: 1) I thought it would be easier to stick to, since I love pasta and rice and tortillas, etc., and I wouldn't feel hungry; and 2) because it would be cheaper. I'm very low income, and can't afford a lot of fresh produce. The other diets that I read about or watched videos about, showed people filling up grocery carts with tons of expensive fresh produce. I can't afford that. For instance, that Fire Engine 2 video shows him going to a Whole Foods store with different people, and just grabbing tons of fresh produce, and in my mind I'm thinking, whoa, there was $8 worth of peppers, there was $10 worth of this and that....no way!

My main staples are tortillas with a taco mix I make up in huge batches and freeze in baggies. I put beans and rice and tons of veggies like frozen spinach (cheap), canned diced tomatoes (cheap), squash (pretty cheap - got 12 small ones for $4), canned corn, frozen bag of onions and sweet peppers (cheap), can of sliced jalapenos (cheap), fresh cilantro (really cheap), and spices.

Other staples - whole wheat spaghetti with spaghetti sauce, or stir fry sauce (cheap at Walmart) and some canned mushrooms and canned water chestnuts and canned baby corn, maybe some fresh baby bok choy. I cook up a big batch of the Asian sauce and veggies and freeze it in baggies. Put it over rice or spaghetti noodles.

Bake red potatoes in the microwave and cut up and eat like french fries with ketchup.

And I make a lot of soups. I also make my own hummus with just a can of garbanzo beans with the juice put into a blender with some lemon juice and hot sauce and a little soy sauce. Eat it with Wasa whole grain crackers.

Anyway, this diet is way cheaper, I still get my veggies, but they're cheap and cooked. I can buy my stuff at Walmart, instead of Whole Paycheck.

FWIW.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 05-10-2018 at 11:10 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
The McDougall 10 Day program is expensive:

Rates
Full Participant (medical care, laboratory, etc.)
$5,460/person (double)
$6,060/person (single)

His 3 Day Program is much more affordable:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/programs/3-day-intensive-program/
Rates
$595 Per Person
(includes education and meals)

I think Gary Null's Wellness Retreat is only about $2500:

https://www.garysvitamincloset.com/p...ted-in-mineola

Old 05-10-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yeah, I can't afford any of these programs. I just watched a ton of videos and got books through my library by all of the whole food, plant based gurus.

Dr. McDougall also does a live webinar, and you can watch the previous episodes for free on his website. They're also on YouTube. He tends to ramble off on tangents, though, so I prefer to watch his older seminars and read his books. I think living his entire life trying to get the medical profession to listen to how diet can cure heart disease has kind of worn him down. He can come across kind of ...what's the word... not quite fanatical, but just really super frustrated.

But, his science is very rational.

I also watched videos of seminars by Dr. Essylsten (he's the dad of the Fire Engine 2 guy), and also Campbell who wrote the China Study.

If you just start watching videos and reading, and making some changes, you can also do it that way, like I did, if you can't afford the live-in programs.
OP, I agree with NMSFM. You could watch McDougall's past workshops on YouTube for free, attend the webinars, read his books, and checkout his website.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
The McDougall 10 Day program is expensive:

Rates
Full Participant (medical care, laboratory, etc.)
$5,460/person (double)
$6,060/person (single)

His 3 Day Program is much more affordable:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/programs/3-day-intensive-program/
Rates
$595 Per Person
(includes education and meals)

I think Gary Null's Wellness Retreat is only about $2500:

https://www.garysvitamincloset.com/p...ted-in-mineola
Wow, that wellness retreat is a good deal. I can't afford it, but it's a good deal LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food