U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:57 PM

20,389 posts, read 37,702,114 times

Advertisements

Not to mention, grass fed beef and pastured poultry and eggs taste SO much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:39 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,222,192 times
Here's my opinion: I'm pro-Omnivore...I'm normal and proud!!! (eat both meat and veggies and proud of it!!!).

Old 04-07-2008, 12:40 PM

149 posts, read 471,352 times
who cares? eat what you want and live life and be happy!

life's too short to be worrying about what other people are eating! lol

Old 04-07-2008, 02:58 PM

22 posts, read 54,076 times
But shouldn't the animals be happy also? I'm not trying to push anything on anyone. Just something to think about. Personally, I value animals very highly, although some feel they are way below humans. For example, I asked one of my friends that if they were going to die and needed a heart, would they let a monkey be killed for it. They answered yes. To me that is just wrong. But thats just me.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM

20,389 posts, read 37,702,114 times
Animals should, indeed, be raised with respect, and their, and our, place in the food chain should be respected, as well, as it's all part of the overall design. (To me it is disrespectful to pretend that I'm somehow exempt from fulfilling my part in that design as I'm designed to do - disrespectful to the design, disrespectful to the other animals who are honestly fulfilling their place in it, disrespectful to myself by pretending that I'm not what I'm designed to be or, worse, that what I'm designed to be is somehow something to be overcome because it's "wrong".)

The cows that I raise that turn into beef are born here, they've got plenty of room to roam and graze, they get treats, they get backrubs, they get the occasional beer, they get the company of the opposite sex, they get to live in a (albeit small) herd as they are designed to be. They are, however, prey animals - they just don't have find their own food or move to find food or be pulled down and eaten alive as they would in their natural state. It's a trade-off, I guess.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:09 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,938,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat6 View Post

I asked one of my friends that if they were going to die and needed a heart, would they let a monkey be killed for it. They answered yes. To me that is just wrong.
Yes, that is ethically and morally wrong.

Animals are our brothers and we should treat them as we would wish to be treated.

But if I need the heart, forget all that crap and rip up as many of the little buggers as necessary to find me one that fits.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post

But if I need the heart, forget all that crap and rip up as many of the little buggers as necessary to find me one that fits.

reps for the funniest post I've read all day! lol!

Old 04-08-2008, 11:50 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,108,505 times
That was good Fat Freddy, that was real good!!! ROFLMAO!

Tomcat, you bring up a good point. Lets say it's you that needs an organ from an animal and you say no. What about your wife? Kids? Others who depend on you? Are they "below" that animal? My point on this issue is that many others depend on you, as compared to a monkey. Will a monkey ever help someone when they are choking? Have a chance to cure a disease? Help someone to a hospital? I think you get my point. We are at the top, and we can also help those "below" us on the chain. Do we have to eat them, no, we don't have to do anything we don't want. That is where the difference is.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 PM

322 posts, read 704,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
That was good Fat Freddy, that was real good!!! ROFLMAO!

Tomcat, you bring up a good point. Lets say it's you that needs an organ from an animal and you say no. What about your wife? Kids? Others who depend on you? Are they "below" that animal? My point on this issue is that many others depend on you, as compared to a monkey. Will a monkey ever help someone when they are choking? Have a chance to cure a disease? Help someone to a hospital? I think you get my point. We are at the top, and we can also help those "below" us on the chain. Do we have to eat them, no, we don't have to do anything we don't want. That is where the difference is.
So you're saying the monkey doesn't have a social life and other monkeys depending on him/her? What makes my family more important than the monkey's? Because I'm smarter?

There are humans who are clinically retarded and have absolutely no ability to cure a disease, help someone to a hospital or help someone who is choking, yet we don't forcibly take an organ from that person.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 AM

when monkeys can solve quadratic equations, I'll give them human status.

Last I observed though, none of us eat monkeys (although in some countries they do)

Again, no one is making you eat anything you don't want to, so why stress over what others are eating.

My meatloaf was good last night! mooooooooooooooooooo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food