U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,117,876 times

Advertisements

Lovingthegreen - Good point, I'd rank a snake higher than some of my inlaws .

Talk'n bout monkies is a bit out there and I've helped take it there. Should be talk'n bout beef, pork, chicken, fish; just to mention the "main" ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,977,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalzoo View Post

when monkeys can solve quadratic equations, I'll give them human status.
I wouldn't make them do that.

All I require they do is get an Italian guy with a big mustache to wear a little red hat and beg for coins while the monkey turns a crank and plays music.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 PM

22 posts, read 54,151 times
Haha Fatfreddy. I respect people's descions as most of my family eats meat. My opinion is my own and I can't force it on anyone. I like Lovingthegreen's point. I agree. And about the monkeys not being able to cure disease and what not, well that is again all for humans. You have to think about the monkey in its own species. Of course its not going to cure human diseases and take people to the hospitals, but personally I value animals highly and if we are so smart and at "the top", then shouldn't we be more respectful instead of using animals for our own needs?

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 AM

I was just kidding about the monkeys, Tomcat. I have been a vegetarian for about 40 years and one of the main reasons is because I consider all creatures my brothers and I don't believe I have the right to exploit them for any reason.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 AM

20,422 posts, read 37,827,299 times
It's not "exploiting" other creatures to eat them when it's part of your place in the food chain, designed by nature. Unless you think that the other carnivores and omnivores are "exploiting" the prey animals they eat, as well. It's called nature, and I, for one, have more respect for nature than to second guess it and think that if I were in charge, I could do a MUCH better job of design. I've seen way too much in other arenas of life of man having that attitude and how very, very wrong they are.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:45 AM

461 posts, read 1,331,301 times
I am a vegetarian and my husband is not. I made my choice for personal reasons and I don't like to preach about it to other people. I do however find it very scary to read about how they treat the animals in a lot of big "factory farms". I buy the groceries, so I go out off my way to a store that sells locally farmed meats that graze in the field and are not full of hormones and antibiotics for my hubby. Not just because I care about the way the animals are raised, but also because I love my husband and I want his food to be as healthy as possible. I must say I try to get all my fruits and veggies from local farms too (I'm so lucky to have a great farmer's market 2 blocks away!) because I also find big farms spraying poison on my food pretty scary. Plus, I think it's good to support my local economy!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

It's not "exploiting" other creatures to eat them when it's part of your place in the food chain, designed by nature.
Regardless of what you may believe to be the "Design of Nature", some of us may read the blueprints differently.

Although it's well in my past, I have killed and eaten many animals.
Including horses.
From Texas.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Have you? Really? Where was this? How did it taste, and how was it prepared?

FWIW, while I'm not pro-slaughter, I do think that those seeking to ban slaughter have put the cart well and firmly in front of the horse, to the horses' detriment, because it's HARD to solve the cause of the problem, very easy to pass a law that allows you to pat yourself on the back as long as you studiously ignore the predictable consequences to the very animals you're claiming to have "saved".

As for the design of nature, as a species, we're omnivores. Not carnivores, not herbivores, but omnivores. Individually, our tolerance for the extremes of the range of omnivorism might vary widely (from a physical perspective), but that doesn't mean that we aren't designed, by nature, to eat both meat and vegetables.

You might not like that, but it is, in fact, part of the blueprint.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Have you? Really? Where was this? How did it taste, and how was it prepared?
Yup, really have.
When I was a kid back east, we used to get it at a place called "The Equine Market" that specialized in horse meat.
When I lived in Oklahoma I knew a guy that had a BBQ place in Elk City. He used to buy it in Shamrock, TX which is a little east of Amarillo.
He used it for all sorts of recipes. It was some of the best BBQ I ever ate.
When I cooked it myself, I usually cooked it as steaks. It was pretty good, but could get real tough if overcooked.
A lot of people didn't like it because of the yellow fat, but if you trimmed that off, most people couldn't tell it from beef.

My sister had a Morgan that she rode in shows, and even though this was years after I had stopped eating meat, whenever I saw her horse, Misty, I couldn't help looking at his flank and wondering how it would taste on the grill smothered in onions and green peppers.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:11 PM

Well, having Morgans myself (you probably already figured that one out, I'm betting, based on the direction your posts are taking), if it was an old type one, it likely would have provided pretty good meat.

Just how old ARE you, anyway, by the way? Are you speaking of The Equine Market in Massachusetts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food