U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:42 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,116,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Fat Freddy
What I do have a problem with is anyone who thinks that their particular lifestyle or opinions should apply to anyone other than themselves.
Very well said. I agree 100%, but I still have a problem w/radicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 02:16 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,971,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Well, if we stopped eating them, their current large populations would only grow, not diminish. The fact that we process them into meat reduces their numbers in and of itself. If we didn't, what would happen?
Do you really believe that if there was no market for meat the livestock population would increase?

Who you do think would feed them?

Where would they live?

Do you foresee huge herds of wild beef cattle roaming the lands, devouring suburban lawns and golf courses, or giant flocks of chickens roosting in the trees taking over the city parks and laying eggs in the swing sets and sand boxes?

Old 04-18-2008, 02:19 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,383,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Do you really believe that if there was no market for meat the livestock population would increase?

Who you do think would feed them?

Where would they live?

Do you foresee huge herds of wild beef cattle roaming the lands, devouring suburban lawns and golf courses, or giant flocks of chickens roosting in the trees taking over the city parks and laying eggs in the swing sets and sand boxes?
They'd live right where they live now. As far as sheep...they tend to roam large tracts of land. Unless you're suggesting a mass slaughter...and then what do you do with them? What...scavengers...would be able to get rid of all those carcasses fast enough to NOT sicken humans living nearby.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:17 PM

22 posts, read 54,141 times
Can you really consider man a "predator"? I mean the animals don't really have a chance. They're born and raised and then eaten. There isn't any competition there.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,116,218 times
Man is a predator. If not, our eyes would be on the side of our heads, seriously. If "competition" were what sets predators from prey, then everything would be a "predator".

As always, posting w/a smile. It's fun to debate.

Later Tomcat.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:11 PM

146 posts, read 310,365 times
Many animals that aren't predatory still have their eyes in front of them, and many predatory animals have their eyes to the sides. It's really an irrelevant point.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,144,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I just have a rule that if I can't kill it myself, I won't eat it. So while I don't eat much meat (mostly because of environmental concerns), I only eat fish, chicken, and turkey. I don't think I could take out a cow. :P

I do wish Americans ate more insects, though. Due to my heath issues, I need lots of protein to feel on top of things and it would be nice to be able to make a nice cricket taco. Luckily I'll be studying in Southern Mexico next fall and I'll have as many of those little protein filled critters as my heart desires! And there's nothing cruel about squashing a bug, is there? Most of my vegan friends even throw shoes at spiders in their rooms. I think that hurts their feelings.

Well..I have a whole yard full of them...help yourself! They are eating my flowerbeds out of house and home...
Especially grasshoppers....darn things

Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,418,738 times
This is no longer a debate between vegetarians and vegans - it has been hijacked by the omnivores.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:21 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,273,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
This is no longer a debate between vegetarians and vegans - it has been hijacked by the omnivores.
There was one Moderator who thought this whole idea of a Vegan/Vegetarian forum would need some healthy intervention "... to keep it from turning into a bunch of "I sure do like steak, h'yuck h'yuck" and "We have incisors so vegetarians are wrong" coupled with the "bloodmouth!" responses. " (Although, I've never called or thought anyone was a "bloodmouth" - )

I am grateful that we have a vegan/vegetarian forum to begin with, and the idea of sharing healthful, nutrious, non-meat based food ideas is great. I check all the food forums for good recipes, and adjust them quite easily.

Anway, I'm no saint in this department, but some folks are utterly incapable of controlling themselves, and find it impossible to discuss issues in a civil manner.

Again, and again, I don't know why some people find vegetarianism or veganism so very threatening. Is it just a case of people wanting to preach to others or some kind of a cult thing? No scared, and no crickets !!!

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 09-16-2008 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-16-2008, 05:13 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,144,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
There was one Moderator who thought this whole idea of a Vegan/Vegetarian forum would need some healthy intervention "... to keep it from turning into a bunch of "I sure do like steak, h'yuck h'yuck" and "We have incisors so vegetarians are wrong" coupled with the "bloodmouth!" responses. " (Although, I've never called or thought anyone was a "bloodmouth" - )

I am grateful that we have a vegan/vegetarian forum to begin with, and the idea of sharing healthful, nutrious, non-meat based food ideas is great. I check all the food forums for good recipes, and adjust them quite easily.

Anway, I'm no saint in this department, but some folks are utterly incapable of controlling themselves, and find it impossible to discuss issues in a civil manner.

Again, and again, I don't know why some people find vegetarianism or veganism so very threatening. Is it just a case of people wanting to preach to others or some kind of a cult thing? No scared, and no crickets !!!
Shoot...there goes one easy solution to my yard being cricket-grasshopper free...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food