U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 11:22 AM

212 posts, read 86,653 times

Advertisements

I love rice and beans. I never ate them until I moved to Texas. My neuroanatomy professor recommended them for a nice protein source.

I juice a fresh lime, chop up at least two ripe tomatoes, one ripe avocado and chopped fresh sweet onion.
Best meal ever!

Would love to hear your favorites. True summertime comfort food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 11:29 AM

11,002 posts, read 17,490,046 times
Sour cream or plain yogurt and the other stuff you said.

Thin sliced radish is nice too, and some pickled spicy carrots and jalapenos. I'd rather have a corn tortilla than the rice though.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:17 PM

31,310 posts, read 19,756,277 times
My rice and beans run from indian seasoned, cajun seasoned, etc.

But I add in any veggies I have in my fridge (depending on what goes with the version, and what I feel like).

Could be: zucchini, carrots, potato, celery, spinach/arugula/kale/other greens, I'm sure I am missing a bunch.

Toppings have all been covered, plus fresh herbs, fresh lime or lemon juice, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 PM

17,083 posts, read 10,052,147 times
When I put Jasmine brown rice in the rice cooker, I also like to put some frozen veggies in it. Usually mix of carrots, peas, and corn. Trader Joe's has one with soybeans in it for additional protein.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:45 PM

9,350 posts, read 10,140,337 times
Once I added some finely chopped cilantro to the beans. I initially did it to get some use from the cilantro before the bunch went bad. Although I didn't know at that time of its carminative effects, it seemed to work (unexpectedly) in that respect. I also sprinkle dried basil on instead of salt.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:39 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,126,842 times
I make so many versions of rice and beans - not only Mexican. Which ever I make, I always add at least 1/3rd cup of veggies to 1 cup of cooked beans.

Whatever veggies I add are chopped very small, and lightly sauteed first. I did this when my children were young, and I continue the practice today.

What ever I have on hand is fair game. I generally use fresh, seasonal vegetables.

I almost always start with sauteed celery, carrots, onions,minced garlic and frequently mild bell pepper.

Other things I am fond of - mushrooms - all sorts, summer squash/zucchini, cooked winter squash, tomato, finely chopped greens - spinach, kale, collard, escarole, mustard, turnip. What ever you like just take out anything "stalky" or hard. Leeks, sweet potatoes,fresh tomatoes, cooked jacima, cooked sweet corn (grilled is great) avocado, Hungarian peppers, jalepeno peppers and other hot peppers.

While rice and beans are usually in a tomato based sauce, I have also made rice and beans using a small white beans and chick peas, baby green peas Leeks, shallots, mushrooms, carrots,celery,and herbs make a nice brown sauce. I add sherry to it, but white wine or apple juice would work. For vegetables I add diced artichoke hearts, baby peas, asparagus tips, assorted mushrooms, and chopped baby spinach.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:23 PM

808 posts, read 763,988 times
Quinoa instead of rice. Beans and quinoa go great together. I like it spicy, so cayenne pepper, jalapenos, and homemade salsa. Put it all on a soft taco with tomatoes, avocado, and yogurt, yum!

Old 06-13-2018, 12:37 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,368,848 times
Salsa, avocado and hot sauce go well with it. Louisiana-style red beans and rice (minus the pork) is a favorite too.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:12 AM

5,185 posts, read 3,472,774 times
Tomato sauces including the sauce that's used for "Sloppy Joe's," chopped sweet pepper, and chunks of Morningstar veggie dogs which I guess are no longer available. At least not here.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 AM

9,020 posts, read 9,449,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Tomato sauces including the sauce that's used for "Sloppy Joe's," chopped sweet pepper, and chunks of Morningstar veggie dogs which I guess are no longer available. At least not here.
Lightlife Smart Dogs are good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or