Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 5,457 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I am a vegetarian since 1 year and I am sure that there are more "green" people here!
As I am out of recipes, I created this post for every vegetarian to share his/her favourite recipe!
I hope that you will inspire me and for sure I will try most of your ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 12:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I am sure this thread will get moved, but I will post now as I eat many vegetarian (seldom vegan) meals.

You probably already know her, but if you don't, your new best friend is named Mollie Katzen.

Mollie Katzen

Her cookbooks are still worth buying in this digital age as they are so beautifully written (in a handwritten but very readable font) and illustrated. Some of my favorite family recipes come from Mollie K.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
My 2 favorite are vegetarian lasagna and vegetarian Enchiladas. In both I pretty much make them as you would with meat, but substitute more veggies. I like to combine squash, spinach and onions, as well as fresh tomatoes (Romas) Adding mushrooms. When doing enchiladas I always use a couple of jalapenos with most of the seeds removed, but not all.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:36 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I am sure this thread will get moved, but I will post now as I eat many vegetarian (seldom vegan) meals.

You probably already know her, but if you don't, your new best friend is named Mollie Katzen.

Mollie Katzen

Her cookbooks are still worth buying in this digital age as they are so beautifully written (in a handwritten but very readable font) and illustrated. Some of my favorite family recipes come from Mollie K.

.... MK is my favorite cookbook author ever!! Best cookbook for beginners....awesome recipes. She explains everything nicely. Her script and artwork are fun...

Her first cookbook from the 70s I totally wore it out, pages tore, missing, soiled etc, then the spine broke.....bought a second one from a used book store!

Old 07-22-2018, 05:50 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Broccoli & Macaroni, Peas & Macaroni.

Sautee garlic with broccoli florets. Mix with elbows, orecchiette or small shells. Sprinkle Romano cheese over and serve. Can also sprinkle a few red pepper flakes to heat it up a bit.

Mix peas in your favorite marinara recipe. Mix with elbows, orecchiette or small shells. Sprinkle Romano cheese over and serve. Can also sprinkle a few red pepper flakes to heat it up a bit.

I eat meat. That doesn't mean meat is all I eat.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:17 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Oh this is nice....vegetarians talking food

Another easy way to obtain good vegetarian recipes is allrecipes.com

There is a veg. section, plus a lot of delicious sides, salads, desserts etc. I just take my tablet into the kitchen set it up and go to cooking!

OP let me know if you want recipes from Mollie Katzen's cookbook....or you can order the book used from thriftbooks.com for $3.50 or so.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:46 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
The Clueless Vegetarian: A Cookbook for the Aspiring Vegetarian by Evelyn Raab is my favorite and I have MANY vegetarian cookbooks. Best hummus recipe ever - I will not use any other. Still available on Amazon and inexpensive. I love this book.

https://www.fireflybooks.com/index.p...ing-vegetarian

Old 07-22-2018, 07:30 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I bought a vegetarian slow-cooker cookbook at a church sale for $1.00. Published in 2004. I have tried a couple of recipes. One I altered from a French White Bean and Cabbage Soup that called for one grated potato to St. Patrick's Day Soup with a lot of potatoes as well as the beans and cabbage. I've made it two years in a row now. The word "vegan" does not appear in the book, as it wasn't yet in as much use as it is now, but there are plant-based recipes, like that one, as well as those that use dairy products.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:37 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
And here is what I made for a picnic today:

This is a sliced eggplant grilled in a cast-iron pan with olive oil and za'atar, then I opened two cans of chickpeas, drained them, and put them in the pan with a little more olive oil and za'atar, then I put them in a bowl and went to bed because it was late and I had finished the bottle of wine.

Then I got up this morning and added a cucumber, some Vidalia onion, and two plum tomatoes and then mixed it all together with some smoked salt.

And it's GOOD.

For those who haven't used it before:

https://www.plated.com/morsel/what-is-zaatar/

Old 07-23-2018, 04:13 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And here is what I made for a picnic today:

This is a sliced eggplant grilled in a cast-iron pan with olive oil and za'atar, then I opened two cans of chickpeas, drained them, and put them in the pan with a little more olive oil and za'atar, then I put them in a bowl and went to bed because it was late and I had finished the bottle of wine.

Then I got up this morning and added a cucumber, some Vidalia onion, and two plum tomatoes and then mixed it all together with some smoked salt.

And it's GOOD.

For those who haven't used it before:

https://www.plated.com/morsel/what-is-zaatar/
That looks delicious. I will have to look for za-atar, or try making some of my own. I will also look for smoked salt. I am not a vegetarian, nor am I likely to become one, but I do find a constant parade of meals with meat as the primary focus and plant-based foods relegated to supporting roles really boring, and I would like very much to start serving more vegetarian/vegan meals to shake things up a bit.

One dish I like very much is noodles stir-fried with shiitake mushrooms, tofu, and asparagus. This can be vegan or not, depending on what kind of noodle you use. The trickiest thing is the tofu. If it's too soft, or the excess water isn't pressed out, it will fall apart. You cook it in the hot oil by itself until it's golden, and then set it aside to add later, pretty during the last minute of the stir-fry. This can be seasoned any way you wish, the only things I consider essential to mine are fresh garlic, a touch of toasted sesame oil, and a bit of soy sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food