Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 11:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Honestly, it's just way too much work to bother with for me. I spent a bunch of time peeling and canning cut up butternut squash a few winters ago, and it just wasn't worth it. To me, it's only really any good with butter, and as a vegan I don't eat butter.

I just vastly prefer any kind of summer squash instead, where I can just slice it up and eat the skin and all. And as long as we still have NAFTA, I can get summer squash most of the year.

The winter squashes are just too much work and just aren't as versatile. If I had no other options, I'm sure I'd figure out how to use them and enjoy them, but i don't have to, so why go through the work for something that just isn't really all that good unless it's smothered in fat? Just my two cents worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 11:39 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Unlike y'all, I can't stand adding anything sweet to squash. I find most squash, and butternut in particular, sickeningly sweet to begin with. It seems wrong to add brown sugar or maple syrup to it.

I'm always looking for recipes to disguise the sweetness of squash, like with salt, spices or lime juice, but have not found the perfect recipe yet...

Old 10-19-2018, 05:07 PM

1,371 posts, read 668,082 times
We make butternut squash filled ravioli with brown butter and sage. I just got done making a butternut squash spiced cake roll. Haven't tasted the finished product yet, but the cake and the cream cheese, buttercream icing both taste fantastic separately.

We are going to try an acorn squash, italian sausage crostada for dinner next week. The sausage could be substituted with crimini or portabello mushrooms for a vegetarian version. It also uses ricotta cheese.

I've got a really good recipe for a stuffed vegetarian, could be made vegan, spaghetti squash recipe if you are interested.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:12 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...i-squash-81845

I made a version of this, earlier this week, & I think it would also be good with any winter squash. Or just make the black beans with cumin & use that as the stuffing, ( in an acorn squash).

As mentioned upthread, if you stab the squash, then microwave it, it is then very easy to work with. You can slice or cube it any way you like.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:08 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I bought a spaghetti squash the other day and made half of it last night with a jarred tikki masala sauce and chickpeas. I was trying to approximate a dish I'd had in a restaurant.

This sauce contained cream, though, and the one in the restaurant was vegan. It was pretty good either way.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:10 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Unlike y'all, I can't stand adding anything sweet to squash. I find most squash, and butternut in particular, sickeningly sweet to begin with. It seems wrong to add brown sugar or maple syrup to it.

I'm always looking for recipes to disguise the sweetness of squash, like with salt, spices or lime juice, but have not found the perfect recipe yet...
I don't find it "sickeningly" sweet, but sweet enough that I don't want to add other sugars to it. I make it with sauteed onions and some black pepper.

My daughter made butternut squash with Brussels sprouts and quinoa. Pretty good.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:42 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,745 times
With the Butternut ,wife makes a Creamy Soup that is out of this World !!!!!, we may be in Miami, but in the house it's always cold, and we enjoy the delicious "Winter" delicacy to no end.

ALDI has them so cheap is not even funny.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:10 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
A friend told me she made this the other night and it was amazing. I might try to veganize it, though I hate vegan cheese so I'd probably leave it out.

https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/but...IXmg5TuiM69H1Q

Old 10-24-2018, 07:59 AM

337 posts, read 311,063 times
Mmmm, that does sound good! I'm going to try that skillet enchilada recipe, as well as the spaghetti squash one above.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:07 AM

337 posts, read 311,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post

The more plant-based my diet has become, the less tolerance I have for sweets added onto something already naturally sweet. Years ago, I used to roast butternut squash tossed in a dressing of lime juice, orange juice, Cayenne pepper, and some other things. Garlic and cumin, maybe. It was amazing. I'd share it, but unfortunately never wrote the recipe down, and I forgot the other ingredients/ratios. Every time I've tried to replicate it, something is missing and it just doesn't have that wow factor.

But you're definitely into something with the spices, salt, and lime juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food