U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 11:04 AM

264 posts, read 129,506 times

Advertisements

It's fall!

And I'm in a rut when it comes to preparing acorn squash and butternut squash. I love roasted butternut squash, and roasted acorn squash stuffed with quinoa, but that is getting old.

Other than making them into soup, what are your favorite ways to prepare these fall squashes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:20 AM

1,120 posts, read 651,433 times
I'm also a fan of stuffing acorn squash. My preferred filling is ground pork sausage, garlic, onions, and bell pepper. I top it with cheddar cheese.

EDIT: I just noticed your post was under the vegetarian/vegan subgroup. Kindly disregard

Old 09-26-2018, 04:09 PM

753 posts, read 704,279 times
I only cook it whole on a rack in the oven. My hand strength isn't good so I am not able to cut it before going into the oven, but cooking it on the rack with foil underneath is a great way. It is soft and moist after cooking and very very tasty.
I like it plain but some cinnamon might be good too.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:09 AM

26,900 posts, read 5,779,241 times
I like acorn squash cut in half, scooped then baked with brown sugar, butter, maple syrup...

Old 09-27-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I like acorn squash cut in half, scooped then baked with brown sugar, butter, maple syrup...
This is what I ended up doing. It was pretty good.

Mamasplace, I've heard you can cook whole squash in the crockpot, too. I haven't tried it yet but probably will with the butternut squash.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:55 PM

18,591 posts, read 23,151,009 times
I have a good Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe that was adapted from a recipe in the "Forks Over Knives" magazine. I've been making a version of this for quite a while, but I noticed that it's in this month's publication. I'm making this later this week. It involves quinoa, carrots, celery, sage and cherry tomatoes. Alternately, I make the same recipe without the grape tomatoes and with dried cranberry, chopped nuts, pumpkin pie spice, drizzled with a high quality maple syrup.

One is completely savory, and the other savory and sweet. Both are good.

I also have a Fettuccini recipe that calls for pumpkin, but any cooked and mashed winter squash will do. It's different and the sauce is vegetable based. It could be vegan if someone used egg free noodles.

Other recipes that I like are Velvety Butternut Mushroom Bisque , Acorn squash soup with apples and leeks, Hungarian Squash Soup, and Moroccan Stew which uses butternut squash.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:08 PM

178 posts, read 376,695 times
I've made a butternut squash lasagne many times, and it's really good. Use in place of pasta, and don't worry about it being neatly cut or solid coverage like with lasagne noodles. I roast it, peel it, make some 1/2 inch-ish slices out of it and layer with other lasagne ingredients. YUM.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:29 PM

36,986 posts, read 45,446,972 times
Acorn: I stab it a few times, then microwave for about 4 minutes. When it’s cool enough to handle, cut in half and remove the seeds. Place butter, brown sugar, salt and raisins in the cavity, and bake until the filling is bubbly, and the squash is tender.

Butternut: Peel and boil as you would potatoes. Drain thoroughly, mash with salt, butter and brown sugar. Simmer on low if there is any excess water.

I guess you all know that you can make make squash pie with butternut instead of pumpkin.

I’m sure there must be more adventurous recipes, but we just love it plain like this.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:48 PM

9,036 posts, read 9,461,112 times
https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/slow...-lentil-curry/

Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the inspiring ideas, everyone!

I've never tried incorporating butternut squash into pasta dishes. The fettuccine and the lasagna dishes sound intriguing. Sounds labor intensive, but also maybe worth it.

I tried cooking butternut squash in the slow cooker. Just washed it off, poked some holes for the steam to escape, and let it go. It wasn't as tasty as when you peel it, dice it, and then roast it - but considering the quick prep, it turned out well! We ate it with cinnamon sprinkled on top. It paired really well with lentils and a salad.

If you enjoy pumpkin seeds, squash seeds are also tasty. Don't throw them out - just clean the pulp off of them and roast at 300 F for about an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or