U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:02 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,963,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
An easy standard for me is something I call "Mixture", lol. It is cooked rice, a can of black beans, and a can of diced tomatoes.
Taking your advice I added onions, peas, and cheese and then warmed it up. It had a dull, flat taste to it so I added some sour cream and that helped but I didn't feel anything special about that first vegetable diet meal. Then the next day as I thought things over I decided to eat more. So I heated some up in olive oil and put a couple of shaves of butter on top and then I added some sweet soy sauce and on top of that some sour cream and one more thing I added cashews on top. that did it. It was yummy. I will probably always fix that dish now and then. A couple times a week probably.

If you are wondering about the sweet soy sauce what I did was put regular soy sauce in a small bottle and added maple syrup to sweeten it. It seemed to work nice but if someone else has some other ideas on how to do that I would like to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 08:49 AM

55,590 posts, read 54,188,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Taking your advice I added onions, peas, and cheese and then warmed it up. It had a dull, flat taste to it so I added some sour cream and that helped but I didn't feel anything special about that first vegetable diet meal. Then the next day as I thought things over I decided to eat more. So I heated some up in olive oil and put a couple of shaves of butter on top and then I added some sweet soy sauce and on top of that some sour cream and one more thing I added cashews on top. that did it. It was yummy. I will probably always fix that dish now and then. A couple times a week probably.

If you are wondering about the sweet soy sauce what I did was put regular soy sauce in a small bottle and added maple syrup to sweeten it. It seemed to work nice but if someone else has some other ideas on how to do that I would like to hear it.
There ya go. It makes a good base. I can't see soy sauce but if that works for you, that's great.

I almost always use the tomatoes with the chilies in them because it adds a bit of a bite. I like sour cream on the top, too.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:45 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,963,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There ya go. It makes a good base. I can't see soy sauce but if that works for you, that's great.

I almost always use the tomatoes with the chilies in them because it adds a bit of a bite. I like sour cream on the top, too.
I looked for tomatoes with chilies and couldn't find them so I added my own jalapeno. Same difference maybe?

Old 11-27-2018, 02:27 PM

9,020 posts, read 9,447,133 times
Quote:
I looked for tomatoes with chilies and couldn't find them so I added my own jalapeno. Same difference maybe?
Assuming you are in the US, you should be able to find diced tomatoes with chiles in the aisle where you buy stuff to make chili. I always use them in my chili.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:43 PM

377 posts, read 223,890 times
If your goal is to live healthy, you must avoid eating animals, eating all dairy products and eliminating salts,oils, and sugars. That means you must stop eating at all restaurants except organic, vegan. Restaurants use salt, oils, butters and sugars in all their menu items. I buy organic whole foods only; no food that comes in a box is healthy. After two weeks, my energy increased, my sleep is deeper, digestive issues went away, doctor visits decreased, all pills went away, skin looked and felt healthier, and my attitude changed. I only drink clean water. Knowing something only works if I apply these nutritional facts.
I live pain free and enjoy planning and cooking foods that I know are good for my body, mind and spirit. The last five years has changed my life. I am very aware of my health and movement decisions today.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:51 AM

6,556 posts, read 10,628,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
If your goal is to live healthy, you must avoid eating animals, eating all dairy products and eliminating salts,oils, and sugars. That means you must stop eating at all restaurants except organic, vegan. Restaurants use salt, oils, butters and sugars in all their menu items. I buy organic whole foods only; no food that comes in a box is healthy.
I agree with the basic meaning of your post, but there are a few problems with its all-or-nothing dogmatism.

First, it may not work for all people, healthwise, and in any case you will not convince everyone to become herbivores and some of those people will live long, healthy lives just the same.

Second, salt, or sodium, is an essential nutrient; now, one may argue against industrially processed salts and in favor of natural salts, and in any case moderate intake, but to eliminate salt altogether could be counter-productive, unless you can demonstrate that natural foods already contain sufficient amounts of sodium such that one does not need to add it extraneously.

Third, oils. I can understand, and do adopt, the argument against industrial "vegetable" oils, but the way you phrase it, you seem to include natural tree oils such as olive and avocado. "Fats" are essential, so if you eliminate dairy and other animal products, and all oil, including not only industrial oils but also natural oils (e.g. olive and avocado), than what is the source of fat? Unless, again, you can demonstrate that natural foods already contain sufficient amounts of "fats" such that one does not need to add "fats" extraneously.

Fourth - and just a quibble -, I take and agree that "no food that comes in a box is healthy" to mean industrially processed "foods". But I'm okay with buying mostly whole wheat and other whole grain pasta in a box, and some that come in a bag, like rice does; I could make pasta from scratch at home, but very time-consuming and boxed pasta whose only ingredient is durum semolina should be okay.

What about vitamin B12? Are you convinced that it is an essential vitamin and that vegans need to include it in some way, via nutritional yeast or some kind of supplement?

In any case, yes, I avoid restaurants like the plague.

Last edited by bale002; 11-29-2018 at 04:02 AM..

Old 11-29-2018, 04:05 AM

521 posts, read 243,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
For instance, if there is meat in a soup, I dish up whatever else is in the soup, and leave the meat in the pot.
If the vegetables are cooked with the meat, then that's not a vegetarian meal. I don't eat soups that have a chicken or beef broth base and have found that is often the case with restaurants that serve vegetable soups.

I don't mean to criticize your choice but it reminded me that someone once made me some "vegetarian" soup. She said that she left out the meat but did use beef broth. I didn't have the heart to disparage her efforts but that soup wasn't vegetarian.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM

2,575 posts, read 4,673,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I agree with the basic meaning of your post, but there are a few problems with its all-or-nothing dogmatism.
The poster didn't include these admonishments, but I see them all the time and they always irk me.

1) "Don't eat anything with ingredients you can't pronounce." A lot of people probably have trouble pronouncing deoxyriboenucleic acid, but DNA is in all those plants we eat. EVERYTHING is made of chemicals, many of which are necessary for life but difficult to pronounce. Perhaps actually learning about the individual chemicals, instead of focusing on how difficult the names are to say, would be more helpful.

2). I also get irritated that anything "natural" is assumed to be healthful. Besides the obvious natural things we shouldn't be including in our diet like arsenic (pronounceable, see #1 above, often found in organic brown rice and brown rice syrup), lead, etc., there are some "natural foods" for which the studies on safety are inconclusive, like soy and stevia.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:59 PM

18,003 posts, read 22,732,087 times
Quote:

Honestly, if you just put a bunch of fat on top of vegetables, I don't really see the point in eating a "vegetarian" meal. That is a really unhealthy meal. It's worse than a McDonald's super-size burger meal, fat-wise. You can die from heart disease as a vegetarian, if you still go ahead and eat a ton of fat - even plant fat needs to be moderate to be healthy.

So, really, keep looking for another recipe you can live with. Try some black beans and brown rice with canned tomatoes and chiles and some hot sauce, add some sauteed squash (which you can sautee in just water and no oil).

Also, if you have a Trader Joe's - get a box of their falafel mix and make it without oil. I mix it up (you just add water) and I make it into patties instead of balls, and then bake them on parchment paper for only 12 minutes (shorter than the recipe says) - then it turns out more moist.

Then, make a sandwich or a wrap with the falafel mix "burger" and use guacamole (you can buy avocado in mini-serve cups either plain or with spices, but just vegan ingredients) and some chopped tomatoes and maybe some greens. Delicious, very low fat.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:39 PM

801 posts, read 220,708 times
Quote:
Is a vegetarian diet as tasty as a non vegetarian diet?
I am just debating in my mind if I should try out vegetarianism or not. I do believe that it is healthy and that there are some unhealthy aspects to eating meat. I thought that a vegetarian recipes might be more difficult than non vegetarian recipes but I have no evidence that that is true since I have never got into vegetarianism. Vegetarian recipes seem complicated but there again I say that with no personal experience.

Also, I would like to have a few extremely simple vegetarian recipes to start with if anyone has any like that.
Thanks for any response to the above
Put marinara sauce on your spaghetti rather than meat sauce. Stop putting ham or pepperoni on your pizza. Don't put bacon in your green beans. Bam, you're eating vegetarian.

People act like 'vegetarian" is a bad word. Put out a dish of food without meat, don't mention the lack of meat, they'll probably love it. Put a sign that says "vegetarian" on that same dish, they shy away like you added a live cobra to it. "Oh no that's vegetarian I couldn't eat that." You don't need to look for specifically "vegetarian" food all the time. What do you usually eat? Can you leave the lard/meat broth/chunks of meat out of it? There you go, it's vegetarian. You might not even notice the difference.

Of course there are differences. Of course it will be difficult at times-- animal products hide *everywhere*. But the line isn't drawn as thick and clear as people like to think it is, and it's okay to cross it. You're allowed to come visit the vegetarians. We even have cookies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or