U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 11:46 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,321,906 times

Advertisements

French macarons are, hands down, my favorite cookie in the world. However, they are infamous for being very finicky, even with the traditional method of egg whites for the meringue.

So when I saw this video on vegan macarons, I was cautiously optimistic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGDtUruRq

Fast forward to 9:06 to see the cookies fresh out of the oven. Now I will say, visually, her macarons turned out roughly the way they should. They were not completely smooth and lacked the slight shine on top. Probably wouldn’t make their way into the front of a French patisserie, but definitely had the look of a macaron, and look good enough to me. I was pretty impressed!

For those who don’t know, aquafaba is the juice from a can of chickpeas. Evidently, it can be whipped into something very closely resembling a meringue.

As far as I know, the only the difference is that the “macaronage” aka the mixing of the meringue into the almond flour/icing sugar is reduced, and the piped cookies need to rest for quite a bit longer, 2 hours, compared to the 20 min-1hr of the traditional macaron. Anyone else tried to make these?

If I can master this bake, I will be the king of hummus because I will be buying so many cans of chickpeas I won’t know what to do with them.

Here’s the recipe from the video, in case any one is interested. Of course, it’s all in grams, which isn’t particularly helpful for those of us who don’t have scales:

Quote:
Ingredients:

-250 x grams Aquafaba (water from can cooked chickpeas) About 2 cans
-200 x grams Icing sugar
-40 x grams castor sugar
-100 x grams almond flour
-Lavender food colour gel

Method:

Place Aquafaba in a small saucepan and heat on low. Reduce the liquid to 110grams. Set aside to cool till at room temperature.
Place almond flour and icing sugar in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds. Set aside.
In a mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, add reduced and cooled chickpeas water. Mix on high for 3-5 minutes or until peaks begin to form. Add the castor sugar and mix again until smooth and glossy.
Next add in food colour, only 1 drop at a time. Incorporate colour well.
Using a spatular, fold almond flour and icing sugar into the whipped aquafaba mixture. Be careful not to beat the air out of the mixture.
The mixture should be shiny and ribbon-like when ready.
Line a baking sheet and pipe the mixture out in rounds.
Leave to sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, place in a 160 degree oven for 15 mins.
Remove from oven and sit at room temp for 15 mins before removing from baking paper.
Pipe with vegan butter cream and squish two biscuits together!
Also appreciating any feedback about aquafaba in general with vegan versions of meringue desserts. But if anyone has successfully mastered vegan macarons, please, share your wisdom! It’s all about the nuances, and I have a feeling she made it look way easier than it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 12:21 PM

7,099 posts, read 9,304,568 times
Hen's egg meringue has always defeated me. I did almost succeed in making meringue cookies using aquafaba, however. (Burned 'em, and they came out a little, you knowm flattish.) If I were going to continue to experiment, I feel strongly that macarons would be far out of my depth.

I certainly have a whole case of canned chickpeas to get me started, however.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:05 PM

1,906 posts, read 663,334 times
I have recently read that any beanwater is acceptable as acquafaba. For a milder flavor you might try the water from cannellini beans.

https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-meringue/

http://aquafaba.com/

Last edited by ComeCloser; 05-12-2019 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 AM

5 posts, read 839 times
I've only used aquafaba to make chocolate mousse, so I don't know how they'd turn out for macraoons. The chocolate mousse came out nice and light but the mouthfeel was not substantial. Still it's a pretty good replacement for egg-whites.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:42 PM

Hey guys, so I finally tried the recipe in the video. It was a total flop. Macarons rose up perfectly in the first 5 min of baking which was a major red flag, and my worst fears were realized when they flattened like pancakes. Ended up trying out a different recipe that worked much better, the macarons actually looked like they were supposed to and gives me something to work with.

I will say I was extremely impressed with the aquafaba. I cannot believe how closely it resembles meringue in taste and texture. Seriously.. who thought of that?

And thanks to the poster who mentioned that any canned bean water can be used as a meringue base. I’ll definitely be expanding my horizons.

Here’s the recipe that worked for me in case anyone is interested:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lE7tiyhoLVM

Old 05-30-2019, 06:02 PM

283 posts, read 353,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
French macarons are, hands down, my favorite cookie in the world. However, they are infamous for being very finicky, even with the traditional method of egg whites for the meringue.
Also appreciating any feedback about aquafaba in general with vegan versions of meringue desserts. But if anyone has successfully mastered vegan macarons, please, share your wisdom! It’s all about the nuances, and I have a feeling she made it look way easier than it is.

Several years ago, when aquafaba recipes first started being posted online, I joined an FB group of vegans dedicated to making desserts with aquafaba. At that time I also tried making a lemon meringue which came out wonderfully well, and I made it a few more times, making a couple little changes here and there as I went along, but more to the pie filling than the AF. That was about 4 - 5 years ago, and we moved into a tiny apartment to save money and with that I ended up not having an oven. Can't believe I've lived that way for 4+ years, but we're moving out of state in a couple weeks, and I will have a nice oven again, and can't wait to try more AF recipes. I realize I'm about 5 years behind in baking and all the wonderful vegan things that I've missed making during that time, but it's still an exciting time for me
I hope you'll be able to join a good AF baking group on FB if you're not already a member of one.

Btw, the meringue on a lemon meringue tastes the same with AF as I remember it tasting with just egg whites. In fact, I remember my AF one being richer - not sure why. It was pretty awesome to be able to make meringues again!

PS. Sorry I'm of no help as far as French macarons, but the ones you posted looked amazing!

Old 05-30-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
Several years ago, when aquafaba recipes first started being posted online, I joined an FB group of vegans dedicated to making desserts with aquafaba. At that time I also tried making a lemon meringue which came out wonderfully well, and I made it a few more times, making a couple little changes here and there as I went along, but more to the pie filling than the AF. That was about 4 - 5 years ago, and we moved into a tiny apartment to save money and with that I ended up not having an oven. Can't believe I've lived that way for 4+ years, but we're moving out of state in a couple weeks, and I will have a nice oven again, and can't wait to try more AF recipes. I realize I'm about 5 years behind in baking and all the wonderful vegan things that I've missed making during that time, but it's still an exciting time for me
I hope you'll be able to join a good AF baking group on FB if you're not already a member of one.

Btw, the meringue on a lemon meringue tastes the same with AF as I remember it tasting with just egg whites. In fact, I remember my AF one being richer - not sure why. It was pretty awesome to be able to make meringues again!

PS. Sorry I'm of no help as far as French macarons, but the ones you posted looked amazing!
Great, thanks for the reply! Have you ever used aquafaba from any beans besides chickpeas? If so, are there some that work better than others? I was thinking about trying white beans.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:19 AM

283 posts, read 353,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Great, thanks for the reply! Have you ever used aquafaba from any beans besides chickpeas? If so, are there some that work better than others? I was thinking about trying white beans.

I remember using chickpea aquafaba and also kidney bean AF. Both worked well. I've also used it with and without salt without noticing any difference in the final product. Unfortunately, I never tried it with white beans.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-gal View Post
I remember using chickpea aquafaba and also kidney bean AF. Both worked well. I've also used it with and without salt without noticing any difference in the final product. Unfortunately, I never tried it with white beans.
Okay. I know that even in traditional macaron recipes, you actually are supposed to add salt into the egg whites as a stabilizer, so yeah, the salt shouldn’t really be an issue. Thanks again for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food