Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 03:57 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
These are my favorite black bean burgers to make. Simple and easy.
Mollie Katzen's cumin-scented black bean burgers

I also make these yummy Tandoori lentil burgers that have cooked red lentils, spices, chopped mushrooms, onions, carrots, and bread crumbs.

Thanks VERY much! Mollie K is my favorite chef...

Have recipe for the Tandoori ones????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 04:48 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

I second that request.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:20 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
I sure have heard a lot about the Impossible Burger recently!

Old 02-09-2019, 09:50 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Quote:

Here's a quick & dirty from my notes

Quote:
Tandoori Lentil Burgers

Combine 2 cups water or broth, 3/4 cup dried red lentils, and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium sauce pan. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to med-low and simmer until lentils are tender, approx 20 mins. Drain and set aside.

In an oiled skillet cook 1 chopped onion, 1/2 C peeled diced carrot, and 3 cloves chopped garlic for 3 mins. Add 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups chopped button or cremini mushrooms, 1 tsp dried marjoram, and 1/4 tsp black pepper, and cook for 3 mins. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add cooked lentils, 1/3 cup bread crumbs, 1 T fresh lemon juice, and 2 egg whites, and mix well. Cover and chill for 30 mins. Divide mixture into 6 portions and shape into 1/2-in patties. Cook in an oiled skillet for about 5 mins on each side.

The recipe suggests serving the burgers with raita.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:40 PM

3,826 posts, read 1,780,418 times
I have tried several frozen brands but most have not had a pleasant texture. The above Mollie Katzen black bean burger sounds similar to what I make but I'd use half the amount of grains and instead use finely blended oats and shred a carrot.

Beyond meats? Is it really that good? I thought they were the company that used gmo's but after a quick google search their gluten free and gmo free. The other brand impossible burger does contain gmo's and yikes after reading this.

https://www.cornucopia.org/2018/08/g...orm-consumers/

Last edited by Wintergirl80; 02-09-2019 at 10:53 PM..

Old 02-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Here's a quick & dirty from my notes

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the recipe....

Old 02-10-2019, 12:54 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm going to look for that. I'd like to find a decent veg sausage and make bangers and mash.
They are awesome. I've only had the original bratwurst flavor and would love to try the others. I think only Whole Foods has all three flavors.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:47 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Beyond...I'll check my grocer...don't remember seeing that brand...
Whole Foods has it for sure, and other grocers are starting to carry it. It may be with the other veggie meats, but it may also be in the actual meat department (which is where Beyond originally wanted them placed)

You can also try the Beyond Burger at Car's Jr.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:37 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Gardenburgers! As a kid I loved those. We'd go to Top Burger (popular Camas diner) and if I wasn't ordering the chicken strips it was Gardenburger night. They set the bar so high that all the others I've tried over the years seem like very pale imitations. It seems they just disappeared at the end of the 90s, supposedly Kellogg's are still producing them but I have yet to find a restaurant locally that serves them. 20 years ago they were everywhere. Now they all seem to be carrying those crappy BOCA things that taste like plastic and have the texture of rubber.

Morningstar I think tries, but just doesn't make it.

How do Beyonds compare to the original Gardenburger?

Old 02-12-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Gardenburgers! As a kid I loved those. We'd go to Top Burger (popular Camas diner) and if I wasn't ordering the chicken strips it was Gardenburger night. They set the bar so high that all the others I've tried over the years seem like very pale imitations. It seems they just disappeared at the end of the 90s, supposedly Kellogg's are still producing them but I have yet to find a restaurant locally that serves them. 20 years ago they were everywhere. Now they all seem to be carrying those crappy BOCA things that taste like plastic and have the texture of rubber.

Morningstar I think tries, but just doesn't make it.

How do Beyonds compare to the original Gardenburger?

I agree Morningstar just not close enough to homemade...going to make a few of the recipes listed here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food