U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:54 AM

16,647 posts, read 26,615,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Here you go, Ma Po Tofu fans:

By the way, the green beans you can see on the table are out of this world. My daughter (who can order in fluent Mandarin ) said she ate these every day when she lived in Chengdu. We also got a delicious spicy eggplant dish.
YES!!!! That's my go-to! Did you enjoy it?

Quote:
I would like a crispy version! I am going to have to learn to make this.

I prefer crispy and firm tofu. I used to love kung pao chicken, and I want to make a kung pao tofu. I've ordered it in a decent Asian fusion place in NYC and was disappointed.
I was shocked that I liked the soft (aka: slimy) tofu in ma po, but I love it. The sauce makes it.

I would love to try it crispy, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 08:22 AM

9,016 posts, read 9,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I just looked it up. The tofu is crispy at PF Chang. INTERESTING! I'd try that, for sure.
it's kind of a soft-crispy if that makes sense, not a harder, fried crispy. it adds texture but not too much. Just enough heat but not too hot. Damn, I want PF Chang's now (love the veggie lettuce wraps)

Old 05-16-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
it's kind of a soft-crispy if that makes sense, not a harder, fried crispy. it adds texture but not too much. Just enough heat but not too hot. Damn, I want PF Chang's now (love the veggie lettuce wraps)
Ahhhh! Got it! That makes perfect sense, I know exactly what you mean, and it sounds delicious.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:48 PM

55,566 posts, read 54,174,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
YES!!!! That's my go-to! Did you enjoy it?

I was shocked that I liked the soft (aka: slimy) tofu in ma po, but I love it. The sauce makes it.

I would love to try it crispy, though...
I wasn't expecting that, and it put me off a bit at first; but yes, the sauce makes the difference. I prefer firmer tofu. Once I put it over some rice, I didn't mind the tofu texture as much.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I wasn't expecting that, and it put me off a bit at first; but yes, the sauce makes the difference. I prefer firmer tofu. Once I put it over some rice, I didn't mind the tofu texture as much.
Fair analysis.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:45 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,117,825 times
I have MANY - but I'll start with this one - https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/tofu-nuggets/

Yes, you can eat them as an appetizer with a dipping sauce and eat them as one would chicken nuggets or wings.

I also like them in a variety of dishes - and a variety of cuisines - as a main meal. Stuff a pita with them and grilled veggies, or fresh veggies - lettuce, tomato, sliced onion, cucumber, and a salad dressing of your choice. Mix with stir fried veggies and rice. Stuff peppers with them - add rice and vegetables, cashews. Serve with mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and mushroom gravy, use in a Mexican wrap, with lettuce, bell peppers, onions, avocado, vegan cheese, salsa or ranch dressing or both.

Pretty much use them as you would cooked, breaded chicken. Because of the bread crumb crust, you want to add them LAST so they retain their firm and crunch texture.

I have served these to so many people - from omnivores to vegans. I have only had rave reviews,

Old 05-21-2019, 10:02 AM

9,067 posts, read 8,215,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
PF Chang's take on MaPo Tofu is very good, too.

I LOVE tofu. I eat it several times a week. My favorite thing is to cube it and throw it in the air fryer,then dip in sweet chili sauce.
PF Changs is the only place I like tofu and that is because it is deep fried.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:02 AM

9,016 posts, read 9,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
PF Changs is the only place I like tofu and that is because it is deep fried.
A lot of places deep fry their tofu. PF Chang's is much softer than most who deep fry it.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:20 PM

1,046 posts, read 481,386 times
Here's one that I like-

Tofu, pan fried and topped with peanut butter sauce

Cut a block of firm tofu into slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Drain on paper towels and pat top dry also. Coat with cornstarch or flour. Pan fry both sides in peanut oil until lightly browned. Set aside.

Into same pan (cast iron fry pan works well) pour about 1/2 C coconut milk, 1/2 C creamy natural peanut butter and about 3/4 t curry powder. Stir gently until well blended.

Finely mince about 1 T ginger, mix in a bit of lime juice and honey (maybe a T of each). mix until well blended.

Serve the tofu slices with peanut butter sauce on top. Sprinkle ginger mixture over sauce. Rice and steamed carrots on the side. Yum.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:46 PM

18,586 posts, read 23,117,825 times
Another way I enjoy it, is baked. I really like the texture of the tofu. https://pickledplum.com/southwestern...d-tofu-steaks/

I made these Southwestern style baked tofu steaks tonight and served with Mexican Street Corn, and green salad with creamy lime dressing.

My husband who is really not crazy about the texture of tofu in too many recipes - enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or