U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2019, 03:45 PM
 
8,197 posts, read 11,911,100 times
Reputation: 17974

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
2. I am of the firm belief that all adults have the right to eat whatever they want. My concern is about the children being raised by "purist" vegan parents. The young human body needs calcium and protein in its early stages of development in order to develop strong bones and teeth. To help the young body to get the amino acids it needs.

We know there are groups of vegetables that do have calcium and protein in them, but a serving of broccoli does not have near the amount of calcium in it, that a glass of milk does.

How many parents out here can HONESTLY say, they have raised children that ate large servings of green "stuff" in their meals ? To where they would have gotten their medically recommended needed daily requirement of protein and calcium .as a young person ?

All JMO
An 8oz cup of soy milk has as much, if not more, protein than a cup of cow's milk. Moreover, some plant-derived milks, such as from Silk, are calcium-fortified to such as extent that they contain more calcium than the same-size serving of cow's milk.

I think you can quit worrying about where and how vegan children obtain their RDA of calcium and protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2019, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
384 posts, read 188,616 times
Reputation: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
Did I miss something? Who told you that you can't make your own choices, good or bad? And by the way, "restricted" is when you want to eat something and can't. Choosing to not eat something, is a choice not a restriction.

That's just it. That's where I see this going - a push to stop those of us who enjoy meat from being allowed to eat it. If you eat any animal product you are, by definition, not a vegan. If you choose to be a vegan you are restricted from eating a lot of foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 05:08 PM
 
Location: The Ozone Layer, apparently...
1,906 posts, read 674,557 times
Reputation: 3955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
That's just it. That's where I see this going - a push to stop those of us who enjoy meat from being allowed to eat it. If you eat any animal product you are, by definition, not a vegan. If you choose to be a vegan you are restricted from eating a lot of foods.

Realistically speaking, most Vegans (I'm not saying there aren't any that don't eat 100% Vegan all the time for year after year and decade after decade, but most Vegans) live with an 80/20 diet. This means 20% of their diet is not strictly Vegan. One good reason for this is dining out. It's hard to meet people socially for dinner and control the amount of animal products you will consume. Another is simply satisfying a craving once in a while. The most common reason is because you have to make everything yourself. I've even known people that happen to eat vegetarian for that reason - they don't have to make everything themselves, lol.

Personally, I would say I'm 95/5. I will be having dinner with a friend over the holiday weekend, and I will probably be ordering the salmon. I don't feel the least bit guilty about satisfying a craving, and partaking in my first bite of flesh since March 6. I'm looking forward to socializing with my friend and ordering the same thing we always order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Illinois
272 posts, read 68,903 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Realistically speaking, most Vegans (I'm not saying there aren't any that don't eat 100% Vegan all the time for year after year and decade after decade, but most Vegans) live with an 80/20 diet. This means 20% of their diet is not strictly Vegan. One good reason for this is dining out. It's hard to meet people socially for dinner and control the amount of animal products you will consume. Another is simply satisfying a craving once in a while. The most common reason is because you have to make everything yourself. I've even known people that happen to eat vegetarian for that reason - they don't have to make everything themselves, lol.

Personally, I would say I'm 95/5. I will be having dinner with a friend over the holiday weekend, and I will probably be ordering the salmon. I don't feel the least bit guilty about satisfying a craving, and partaking in my first bite of flesh since March 6. I'm looking forward to socializing with my friend and ordering the same thing we always order.
To me, this type of discussion gets old very fast. This is America!
Land of the free, home of the brave. Here we are free to choose our destiny, food being a part of destiny. No one has a proverbial gun to their head forcing them to eat ... sushi! If you want to eat sushi...eat it. I truly don't care. If you choose to eat salad in your hot tub....do it. Individual choices for individuals. It's your life, do with your life what you want. I certainly am going to continue to do what I want as well. If you want salmon, eat salmon, I don't think less of you for your choice, if you feel guilty of your choice, you need to talk with you about it not anyone else. I have no problem with people making choices different from mine, I don't pass judgment on anyone and I prefer they not pass judgment on me. We are good until you do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 02:59 AM
 
Location: The Ozone Layer, apparently...
1,906 posts, read 674,557 times
Reputation: 3955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
To me, this type of discussion gets old very fast. This is America!
Land of the free, home of the brave. Here we are free to choose our destiny, food being a part of destiny. No one has a proverbial gun to their head forcing them to eat ... sushi! If you want to eat sushi...eat it. I truly don't care. If you choose to eat salad in your hot tub....do it. Individual choices for individuals. It's your life, do with your life what you want. I certainly am going to continue to do what I want as well. If you want salmon, eat salmon, I don't think less of you for your choice, if you feel guilty of your choice, you need to talk with you about it not anyone else. I have no problem with people making choices different from mine, I don't pass judgment on anyone and I prefer they not pass judgment on me. We are good until you do!
What does that mean? I am simply explaining how most Vegans do not cling 100% to Veganism and some reasons why I have heard from other people. I also posted the fact I will probably be breaking my personal fast soon. Stepping out of a strict and labor intensive eating regimen to enjoy one dinner with a friend is not a blow against whole grain plant-based dieting. You posted your story about your visit to the ED, and I am posting how I came to be where I am at. I haven't asked you to care. I could make the same criticisms of your posts. I sort of feel like you want to punish me for participating.

There are no guns involved, lol. You say you truly don't care, but you have cared enough to make 3 posts so far on this 4 page thread. Apparently the discussion hasn't aged as fast as you would otherwise claim that it has. Btw, it takes a village to raise a child, and it takes more than one person, more than one experience, and more than one opinion to have a discussion.

There is more than one way to do Vegan.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 05-24-2019 at 03:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Illinois
272 posts, read 68,903 times
Reputation: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
What does that mean? I am simply explaining how most Vegans do not cling 100% to Veganism and some reasons why I have heard from other people. I also posted the fact I will probably be breaking my personal fast soon. Stepping out of a strict and labor intensive eating regimen to enjoy one dinner with a friend is not a blow against whole grain plant-based dieting. You posted your story about your visit to the ED, and I am posting how I came to be where I am at. I haven't asked you to care. I could make the same criticisms of your posts. I sort of feel like you want to punish me for participating.

There are no guns involved, lol. You say you truly don't care, but you have cared enough to make 3 posts so far on this 4 page thread. Apparently the discussion hasn't aged as fast as you would otherwise claim that it has. Btw, it takes a village to raise a child, and it takes more than one person, more than one experience, and more than one opinion to have a discussion.

There is more than one way to do Vegan.
I'm sorry, I either mis-stated or you misunderstood me. My point is that we all make choices for reasons that we choose and it's not right for others to judge us because of our choices except if we start hurting others by those choices. It is nobody's business to judge anyone by which foods we eat or don't eat. The life we have been given is ours to enjoy how we each choose to live it. IMO, we all need to focus more on our own life and less on others'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 07:36 AM
 
9,075 posts, read 9,505,573 times
Reputation: 7958
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
What does that mean? I am simply explaining how most Vegans do not cling 100% to Veganism and some reasons why I have heard from other people. I also posted the fact I will probably be breaking my personal fast soon. Stepping out of a strict and labor intensive eating regimen to enjoy one dinner with a friend is not a blow against whole grain plant-based dieting. You posted your story about your visit to the ED, and I am posting how I came to be where I am at. I haven't asked you to care. I could make the same criticisms of your posts. I sort of feel like you want to punish me for participating.

There are no guns involved, lol. You say you truly don't care, but you have cared enough to make 3 posts so far on this 4 page thread. Apparently the discussion hasn't aged as fast as you would otherwise claim that it has. Btw, it takes a village to raise a child, and it takes more than one person, more than one experience, and more than one opinion to have a discussion.

There is more than one way to do Vegan.
Most vegans don't cling to 100% veganism? Says who? I certainly do my best. I do not knowingly consume animal products. I don't choose to consume animal products because it's difficult to do when dining out. Yes, it can be difficult, but it is not impossible. More and more restaurants are offering vegan options. If they don't you can choose items that will cook without.

For instance, when in Las Vegas we go to Hash House a Go Go because we often have a BOGO coupon and it is convenient. I will order the mushroom burger and ask it be cooked in oil instead of butter, no mayo. I also make sure the bun is vegan. It can be done. It becomes second nature, it's not restrictive at all. Or when we go to the movie theater, I go to the ones that I know the butter is vegan. I would say that most vegans do the same.

That being said, am I going to unknowingly consume some butter or dairy in something because a restaurant made a mistake? Probably. But that's a very teeny % and very rare (I actually eat at home most of the time) and not on purpose by me. I accept that because this is a non vegan world. I get that.

I went vegetarian 30 years ago when it wasn't a "thing" and I can tell you it is a million times easier today, and it is only getting easier!
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 07:43 AM
 
9,075 posts, read 9,505,573 times
Reputation: 7958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
It most certainly is. In the past couple of months I've eaten beef, pork, chicken, turkey, eggs, moose, bison, salmon, cod, rockfish, caribou, red king crab, spot shrimp, dungeness crab, clams and oysters. A vegan is "restricted" from eating any of those. I've eaten a ton of fresh vegetables in that same time period too. I love variety. Don't eat that stuff if you don't want to but please don't tell me that I can't.
What's your point? None of those things are FOOD in my eyes, they are animals. Animals are living, feeling beings that want to live as much as I do. Animals are not food to me. Not eating things that are not food is not a restriction. Not eating a cow is no more a restriction than not eating a basketball to me. Neither one is food.

There are 500,000+ varieties of plants on this planet in the form of fruit, vegetables, legumes, grains, nuts, seeds... that can be prepared in at least that many ways. There is a never ending variety out there of new things to try. I don't see how that is a restriction.

I guess I also might think of this differently. Instead of saying I can't eat cows (sounds like a restriction) I say I don't eat cows (completely a choice). Actively choosing to not do something is not a restriction. Not being allowed to is. I am ALLOWED to eat a cow, I choose not to. See the difference?

And the usual last line from a meat eater is what you have stated above. "Don't tell me I can't" Who has told you that? Certainly not me! I will never understand WHY meat eaters always go there, immediately defensive and saying "don't tell me I can't eat a cow!" when no one said that. Someone being vegan has not direct control over what you choose to eat.

Earthling Ed is the opposite of the "pushy vegan" stereotype. He's compassionate and understanding and articulate.
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
816 posts, read 258,144 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Most vegans don't cling to 100% veganism? Says who? I certainly do my best. I do not knowingly consume animal products. I don't choose to consume animal products because it's difficult to do when dining out. Yes, it can be difficult, but it is not impossible. More and more restaurants are offering vegan options. If they don't you can choose items that will cook without.

For instance, when in Las Vegas we go to Hash House a Go Go because we often have a BOGO coupon and it is convenient. I will order the mushroom burger and ask it be cooked in oil instead of butter, no mayo. I also make sure the bun is vegan. It can be done. It becomes second nature, it's not restrictive at all. Or when we go to the movie theater, I go to the ones that I know the butter is vegan. I would say that most vegans do the same.

That being said, am I going to unknowingly consume some butter or dairy in something because a restaurant made a mistake? Probably. But that's a very teeny % and very rare (I actually eat at home most of the time) and not on purpose by me. I accept that because this is a non vegan world. I get that.

I went vegetarian 30 years ago when it wasn't a "thing" and I can tell you it is a million times easier today, and it is only getting easier!
I agree. I think most who identify as vegans don't knowingly consume animal products. The only time I do is when a restaurant screws up my order and brings me something with cheese or butter or something after I ask them not to. Getting it changed would just result in the food being thrown out, which to me is wasteful and makes the likely suffering of the animals involved even more tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Miami-Dade
396 posts, read 136,855 times
Reputation: 561
I intended to watch the whole video but decided I didn't need to once he brought up dog-fighting and FGM. I mean, seriously...

No one likes to think of the suffering of any living thing, but the fact that animals must endure it to feed humans is indeed a poor argument for veganism. Somewhere in Africa there's a gazelle having its entrails ripped out by a ferocious lion, probably while he's still conscious, and he must be thinking "man, veganism is good for all those cows out west, but I wish they could do something for my situation" . That same lion would have no qualms about going after my jugular, if it were hungry enough.

So humans don't need meat, you say. Well, neither does that lion need it as often as he goes after it, but he does anyway because it's accessible and it provides him with desired nutrients. The exact same reason humans eat meat/dairy/eggs.

It sounds terrible, but it is in fact the circle of life. Most every living creature that walks this earth will suffer, will die, and will be returned to the very ground from which it came (Gen 3:19)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top