U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 07:35 PM

1,514 posts, read 680,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post

On its own, meat doesn't actually taste that great to most people, so I think it's disingenuous to suggest
that flavor is the only thing we get out of it. It is also used by the human body for nutrition.
It's used for nutrition, but isn't necessary for nutrition. Clearly it's embedded in culture.
In many places, a meal is not a meal if it's not centered around a lump of flesh.

[/quote]
I've seen some vegans say that they would like for all of humanity to be exclusively plant eaters,
but do we have any reason to believe this is actually sustainable? So some animals no longer suffer
while other animals continue to suffer. What does that accomplish?.[/quote]

It's certainly sustainable... all the corn, soy etc. that goes to feed animals destined for slaughter
would not need to be grown.

Animals would still suffer in a vegan world, but not at the hands of humans... there'd be less suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 05:25 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,625,334 times
When I read responses that claim vegans and vegetarians don't hassle meat eaters I wonder what they would think if they were sitting in a corner and heard one lecture me or others about the dangers of meat or how we have no heart because we eat a living thing. One day many years ago I turned on a program and listened to the lecturer and yes, it was a lecture about eating young cows, especially veil I shore I would never again have veil and I didn't for years. Then it dawned on me, who do we know how much they suffer. What you haven't been exposed to, you do not miss. Sorry, I just get tired of hearing what PITA has to say. And let me add, you won't find many people who love animals more than me. I see nothing wrong with being a vegan, but do think many feel the are holier than God.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:42 AM

8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The priest looked at me and waved his hand over the food and then said, "There. Now there's not any meat in it so you can have it" and then he laughed and walked away. I thought that was pretty obnoxious, and I haven't felt as friendly toward him since then.
You should have asked him if there was a way he could magically wave his hands over something to get priests to stop molesting young boys. And when he got a disgusted look on his face, you could have said that's the way I feel about your little joke.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:57 AM

8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Realistically speaking, most Vegans (I'm not saying there aren't any that don't eat 100% Vegan all the time for year after year and decade after decade, but most Vegans) live with an 80/20 diet. This means 20% of their diet is not strictly Vegan. One good reason for this is dining out. It's hard to meet people socially for dinner and control the amount of animal products you will consume. Another is simply satisfying a craving once in a while. The most common reason is because you have to make everything yourself. I've even known people that happen to eat vegetarian for that reason - they don't have to make everything themselves, lol.

Personally, I would say I'm 95/5. I will be having dinner with a friend over the holiday weekend, and I will probably be ordering the salmon. I don't feel the least bit guilty about satisfying a craving, and partaking in my first bite of flesh since March 6. I'm looking forward to socializing with my friend and ordering the same thing we always order.
I think that it is absolutely wonderful that you eat a 95% WFPB diet, but, your parenthetical qualifier aside, I don't have any idea where you came up with the notion that most vegans eat animal products 20% of the time. Unless they've been lying to me, the vegans I have known throughout my life never eat animal products intentionally. And I don't know any who've stated that they ever have a "craving" for any animal product.

If you think about this logically, it would be crazy for someone to call themselves a vegan if they ate animal products 20% of the time. That would mean one meal out of every five contained animal products. Ridiculous! Or if you looked at it on a daily basis rather than on a meal basis, it would still mean that one day out of every five days the average vegan consumes animal products. Again, I think that it patently absurd.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:16 AM

56,064 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You should have asked him if there was a way he could magically wave his hands over something to get priests to stop molesting young boys. And when he got a disgusted look on his face, you could have said that's the way I feel about your little joke.
Nah, I wouldn't say that to him. First of all, he is an Episcopal priest and therefore is married and raised a family. When his own son was little and the first stories about priests molesting kids were coming out, he was walking through the PABT in NYC wearing his collar and holding his son's hand and he got dirty looks from passersby. He stopped wearing his collar after that when out with his son.

I am disappointed that he dismissed my concern about eating meat, but that doesn't mean I have to be a jackass in return and say something to him so nasty and undeserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food