Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 10:52 AM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Kroger brand Simple Truth has really been coming out with a lot of good stuff these days. It's been my favorite brand of tofu for awhile, and they now have cream cheese, sour cream, lunch meat slices, dips, ready to bake cookies...all plant based (no dairy, no meat, no eggs). The sour cream is the best non dairy I've tried.
Elle, thanks for posting the Krogers-owned chains!
And I agree that Simple Truth is a great line of organic and vegan foods.
We regularly purchase their tofu and occasionally the sour cream, and they are both excellent. We tried the cream cheese and didn't care for it because of chemicalish aftertaste.
Not everything is for everyone but it's always good for everyone to have choices!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 11:46 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
Elle, thanks for posting the Krogers-owned chains!
And I agree that Simple Truth is a great line of organic and vegan foods.
We regularly purchase their tofu and occasionally the sour cream, and they are both excellent. We tried the cream cheese and didn't care for it because of chemicalish aftertaste.
Not everything is for everyone but it's always good for everyone to have choices!
Simple Truth is also my fave brand of nutritional yeast!

Old 01-08-2020, 12:22 PM

We will have to try their nutritional yeast!
I know there are more of their products we buy that I can't recall now but we get their unsweetened applesauce which we use in place of oil when baking, their almond dessert/non-dairy ice cream, mustard, almonds, walnuts..... and more. They are all very good with few exceptions, and better yet at good prices too!

Old 01-09-2020, 04:35 PM

77 posts, read 55,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Yes, you are on to something, as evidenced by the extinction of all carnivore species...
Uh, he didn't say meat is lethal (or prevents reproduction).

Old 04-29-2021, 02:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,619 times
Late to this thread and appreciate all the comments here. DH and I are now vegan for health reasons.

Bella, would you direct me to your recipe for your zesty black bean-barley burgers?

Thanks! Be well and safe.

Ginny in Aiken, SC

Old 04-29-2021, 02:30 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't care if people want to eat that stuff, but if I wanted a meat free burger substitute, I'd grill myself one of those huge portobello mushrooms and I'd have an excellent and tasty sandwich that was a healthier choice and probably tastes better.

I don't know about "costs less" because those giant portobellos aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsreine View Post
Late to this thread and appreciate all the comments here. DH and I are now vegan for health reasons.

Bella, would you direct me to your recipe for your zesty black bean-barley burgers?

Thanks! Be well and safe.

Ginny in Aiken, SC
Greetings Ginny,
Here is that recipe, and we follow it rather close except we sub in cooked barley for the cooked brown rice, and we add 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes for a little zip. If you try these I hope you enjoy!

https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-gri...eggie-burgers/

Old 05-01-2021, 05:51 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
While shopping at Kroger's today, Mrs B bought a pkg. of Kroger's Simple Truth's new lineup. It's billed as "Emerge" plant-based meatless grind. So to give it a good test, I fired up my PK charcoal grill, and made four patties, and seasoned them. I must say, the Emerge grind looks very much like ground chuck. Some vegans are put off by meaty tastes and appearances, but for us, as long as it's tasty and not bad for us, it's worth a try. These plant-based meats are not a regular portion of our diet, but occasionally we have Beyond sausages at home, and while eating out we will splurge on a Beyond burger at times, but it's really not our focus to eat processed foods. Obviously today was different, as we had Tater Tots, broccoli, and an Emerge burger. The verdict.... on a 1 - 10 scale, I'd give it a 6.5. It really wasn't meaty tasting, not bad tasting, but it tasted less like meat than it looked. Here are the nutritional numbers....
4 oz serving:
230 calories
Total fat 14 gr
Sat. fat 9gr
Cholesterol 0gr
Sodium 390mg
Protein 20gr
Not very healthy IMO, in all fairness tho, none of the commercial plant-based meats are healthy, but as a wfpb vegan, this sort of item is an occasional splurge for us. But we won't be buying this product again. My zesty black bean-barley burgers are far better.
I will say this tho, it's good to have options!

Here's a pic of our lunch plate.
Attachment 217223
Looks good! How does it compare to Impossible Burger, Beyond Meat and Field burgers etc? I know Morning Star Farms has a new line of burgers that I have yet to try.

Most are best grilled.

To those worried that plant based burgers are not healthy - I'd take ANY plant based burger over a real beef burger. In terms of health and many other issues.

Tater Tots are a processed food that I happen to have a weakness for. But there are far more healthy ways to consume potatoes. I only eat them occasionally - but I like them - especially as "Toffles" - savory potato waffles with herbs.

The black bean and barley burgers sound delicious!

Old 05-03-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Looks good! How does it compare to Impossible Burger, Beyond Meat and Field burgers etc? I know Morning Star Farms has a new line of burgers that I have yet to try.

Most are best grilled.

To those worried that plant based burgers are not healthy - I'd take ANY plant based burger over a real beef burger. In terms of health and many other issues.

Tater Tots are a processed food that I happen to have a weakness for. But there are far more healthy ways to consume potatoes. I only eat them occasionally - but I like them - especially as "Toffles" - savory potato waffles with herbs.

The black bean and barley burgers sound delicious!
How does it compare.... Well never had a Field burger, but the Impossible and Beyond did taste better. But the Emerge burger wasn't bad tasting, just not as good. The reason we likely won't purchase these again because a 4oz patty contains 8 or 9 grams of saturated fat. Comparably, Beyond has 5. We have been getting Hungry Planet burgers from Webstaraunt, and their 5.3 oz. burger has only 0.5 gram of saturated fat per patty with a good flavor. This is truly a healthier plant-based burger. Compared to Beyond Burger, the Hungry Planet 5.3 oz burger is 33% larger, but has 60 less calories, 13 grams less fat, 4.5 grams less sat. fat, 4 times the fiber, and 9 grams more protein. The one downside is it has 260 mg more sodium than the Beyond. So for us the Hungry Planet is our clear choice these days.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,619 times
Will try those. Thanks for the link and tips for subs and flavorings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food