Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2020, 05:18 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times

Advertisements

I haven't eaten meat in a long time, seafood, sometimes. Last night I had two crab cakes for dinner (around 5, later than I usually eat) - the kind that are loaded with crab. Woke up around two, night sweats, feeling bleh. Couldn't get back to sleep. Finally felt better toward morning. I am blaming the meal.

Any one else experience something like this? I think I am going to stick to plant based foods with the occasional egg. They were delicious but not worth feeling lousy.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:29 AM

566 posts, read 592,701 times
Might it be possible you are pre-diabetic?

I ask because the symtoms you described don't fit into the "shellfish allergy" category,
but if a person's blood sugar goes particulary high sweating will be a symptom.

another option:
Here's what I found on the magic 8 ball:

https://www.healthline.com/health/me...t-in-your-body
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 06:45 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
This is complete bro-science on my part, but I think it all has to do with gut bacteria. When I eat beans several times per week, I have no issues. If I haven’t eaten them in several months and then go for a bean heavy meal, then watch out.

The same is for any food. If I haven’t eaten fast food in a while, then get a Big Mac, I’m definitely feeling it later. I’d like to see the sodium content of those crab cakes and whether they were stuffed with a bunch of processed ingredients. It’s hard to find real crab unless you are shelling out some money. I’d look there first rather than the actual meat itself.

When I’ve gone on vacation, like a cruise or something, and I’ve eaten junk for several weeks, transitioning back to largely salads, vegetables, and unprocessed meat, takes a few days for my body to adjust. It’s not a bad thing.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:48 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Might it be possible you are pre-diabetic?

I ask because the symtoms you described don't fit into the "shellfish allergy" category,
but if a person's blood sugar goes particulary high sweating will be a symptom.

another option:
Here's what I found on the magic 8 ball:

https://www.healthline.com/health/me...t-in-your-body

I don't think I have an allergy, I think it was the large amount of protein. And being the age I am, I sometimes wake up sweating at night anyway, last night was just a little worse.

It was just that "laying up on your stomach" feeling that you get if you eat too much, too late. Your digestion does not proceed apace while you are sleeping.

And the crab cakes were from a good source, not a supermarket product.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:15 AM

1,199 posts, read 660,389 times
I was vegan for six years followed by lacto ovo vegetarian another six months before I had my first fish in over seven years in December 2017. The first time or two I had mild nausea but nothing to write home about. It was to be expected having not consumed flesh in so long. My body adjusted very quickly (I limit fish to 1-2x week for the last three years) and I've had no problems since. Ditto with dairy and eggs.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:03 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I haven't eaten meat in a long time, seafood, sometimes. Last night I had two crab cakes for dinner (around 5, later than I usually eat) - the kind that are loaded with crab. Woke up around two, night sweats, feeling bleh. Couldn't get back to sleep. Finally felt better toward morning. I am blaming the meal.

Any one else experience something like this? I think I am going to stick to plant based foods with the occasional egg. They were delicious but not worth feeling lousy.
Yes, since childhood.

My diet is mostly wholefood vegan, but once in a while I do consume beef, chicken, seafood, and a bit of egg and cheese. Sometimes I even try seafood once a week.

Invariably I do not feel well when I consume meat and other animal-based foods on a regular basis.

On the other hand, I feel no adverse effect if once in a while, like leftovers from what children did not eat, and even then cut into small bits or chopped and mixed in with, say, whole grain rice and vegetables.

It is probably a question of a set of variables, like metabolism, gut bacteria, habituality, as some have mentioned, even blood type, and any number of other factors, both positive and negative.

You know - or should know - yourself better than anyone else, including a doctor or any "researchers" conducting and publishing "studies" for whatever purpose, like attempting to sell an overpriced promise of something for nothing through the latest pharmaceutical or fad diet.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:28 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,398,593 times
Quote:

It could be a lack of stomach acid or enzymes that digest protein. It could have also been another ingredient in the crab cakes, or a stomach bug that had nothing to do with what you ate. You could try taking a digestive enzyme before eating crab cakes again.

Meat wouldn't have caused a change in your blood sugar; digestible carbohydrate does that. Likewise, gut bacteria do not eat meat, but carbohydrate.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:40 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:

When you stop eating meat your stomach loses the biodiversity to handle digestion of meat. This is all science proven that microbes that feed on meat are gone once they lose their staple. So many Americans also eat too much foods with preservatives that also causes them to lose the ability to digest various foods. Eat more raw stuff and less processed foods.

Seafoods have an abundance of oils that can cause allergies unless you have microbes that can quickly feed on them for you. One of the jobs of having good biodiversity is that they can absorb toxins for you than having it absorbed into your body. This is why people in 3rd world countries never get sick when eating bad foods that have salmonella tainted. Just like many animals can also eat food off the ground.

Having a clean stomach is a terrible thing to have. The more microbes the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food