Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 05:32 PM

10,948 posts, read 6,991,865 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why any "man" would be concerned about what other's say, or worry about being criticized. Doesn't sound like a man to me.

Maybe they should check their manhood first, then review their eating habits to make themselves healthier (and more vegetarian).

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-23-2020 at 05:42 PM..

Old 11-23-2020, 08:23 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,573,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Why do you have to make the server aware of your dietary choices tho? Just tell them what you're ordering...ha. My fiance isn't a vegetarian but he will order vegetarian dishes or fish sometimes. He doesn't explain himself...he just orders something off the menu. Nobody has ever been mean to him or criticized him in a restaurant for ordering a vegetarian dish.

AND....you're looking for approval online because you posted it in the 1st place...confirmation that you are being manly for what you order in a restaurant. It makes no sense to me. Just do you....& order what you want. That's more manly IMO.
Because people who are vegan or vegetarian might need to check if the dish is really vegan or vegetarian. How is this hard to understand? I had a friend who was vegan because he was allergic to milk, and a lot of times the dish would look vegan but would actually be cooked with butter. Some things might be cooked in animal fat too, or have some other meat product.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,161,362 times
I would just point out that elephants, race horses, bulls, rhinos (considered the most dangerous animal), and gorillas are all vegetarians. None of those is exactly a "wimpy" creature.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:20 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,500,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Because people who are vegan or vegetarian might need to check if the dish is really vegan or vegetarian. How is this hard to understand? I had a friend who was vegan because he was allergic to milk, and a lot of times the dish would look vegan but would actually be cooked with butter. Some things might be cooked in animal fat too, or have some other meat product.

Ha...if there's a question about an item on a menu.....then ask. The better restaurants are super good about it tho. That's why there are vegetarian items that are separate. edit: AND explained

IMO that's totally different than the O.P. being upset about servers "always" being mean to him....or asking a forum if it's manly for him to be a vegetarian. As if he just wants everybody to say "yes you're manly". That's the part that isn't so manly IMO. Do you think so?

Last edited by TashaPosh; 11-24-2020 at 03:33 PM..

Old 11-24-2020, 06:41 PM

338 posts, read 307,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ha...if there's a question about an item on a menu.....then ask. The better restaurants are super good about it tho. That's why there are vegetarian items that are separate. edit: AND explained

IMO that's totally different than the O.P. being upset about servers "always" being mean to him....or asking a forum if it's manly for him to be a vegetarian. As if he just wants everybody to say "yes you're manly". That's the part that isn't so manly IMO. Do you think so?
Absolutely, the better restaurants are super good about that. And in my experience, one does not find "the better restaurants" in rural appalachia. Most of the restaurants where I was, if you didn't get food poisoning you counted yourself lucky. I recall one restaurant being shut down because the staff had been bleaching the old chicken before frying it, because it had gone bad and they didn't want to throw it away. The grocery store got in trouble because when their meat went bad, it was unwrapped from its packaging, the rotten meat was scraped off, then they repackaged the meat to sell. Another restaurant had rats and a sewage backup. And so on.

Lastly, goodness, who cares if he is insecure about his manliness? Or if he is exaggerating about "always" getting teased? Mocking him and criticizing him isn't very helpful. One could give the OP the benefit of the doubt and interpret his post to be asking "why is it seen by others as unmanly"?

Just my opinion.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:00 AM

22,569 posts, read 24,365,374 times
Don't mention your dietary-preferences, that is how you avoid the snarkiness.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:18 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,500,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post

Lastly, goodness, who cares if he is insecure about his manliness? Or if he is exaggerating about "always" getting teased? Mocking him and criticizing him isn't very helpful. One could give the OP the benefit of the doubt and interpret his post to be asking "why is it seen by others as unmanly"?

I wasn't mocking him....I was telling him to be confident in himself.....because IMO most ppl don't see being vegetarian as unmanly, specially servers that want their tips..ha. Most don't care so IMO....it seems super weird that he would have so many ppl mocking him for it....even if they thought to themselves he was being unmanly. BUT he wouldn't know that. How many grown adults mock other ppl for their diet? It really makes no sense.

edit: Confidence & men that don't care what strangers think is strong & manly IMO. They would disrespect that behavior... (AND the ppl)...so ofc it isn't going to mean anything to a "manly man".

Last edited by TashaPosh; 11-25-2020 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-25-2020, 04:19 PM

1,107 posts, read 544,585 times
Having lived and dined in many different locales, my take on this is that the waitress wasn't snickering because you're a male vegetarian, but at the concept of vegetarianism itself, which is not embraced in many rural and southern towns.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:12 AM

12,592 posts, read 8,820,605 times
Quote:
Absolutely, the better restaurants are super good about that. And in my experience, one does not find "the better restaurants" in rural appalachia. Most of the restaurants where I was, if you didn't get food poisoning you counted yourself lucky. I recall one restaurant being shut down because the staff had been bleaching the old chicken before frying it, because it had gone bad and they didn't want to throw it away. The grocery store got in trouble because when their meat went bad, it was unwrapped from its packaging, the rotten meat was scraped off, then they repackaged the meat to sell. Another restaurant had rats and a sewage backup. And so on.
That's not just limited to "rural Appalachia." When were were in California, they caught Safeway, one of the biggest grocery chains there is, bleaching poultry and scraping meat to repackage it.

Quote:

Just my opinion.
That's the point. Because vegetarian or vegan isn't isn'tunmanly. No one cares if someone is vegetarian or vegan. You do you man, no one cares. What people disagree with, which includes the exaggerating "always" when it was once, is the virtue signaling throughout the post.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:26 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,161,362 times
She probably laughed because she know there is nothing on the menu without meat except french fries and onion rings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food