Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:49 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,230,282 times

Advertisements

So, I am getting married, and my fiance is Indian and Hindu. That being said he doesn't eat meat (nor do about 90% of the people his parents are inviting). We are getting married in my small hometown where most restaurants don't even have vegetarian options! We called a few caterers, and while a few suggested just having steamed veggies or veggie lasagna (I veto those or fettucini alfredo), two said that if we give them recipes, they will try them so that we can taste them. The problem is that I don't really want to give them an Indian recipe because there is really no way it will be good enough. Any ideas for vegetarian entrees? (We will have all veggie sides, like stuffed mushrooms, etc, but are looking for something more substantial..... I mean some people will be coming from India to middle of nowhere Illinois ) All recipes are welcome!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 04:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
This is wonderful. Cheers!

SAVORY BREAD PUDDING WITH ASPARAGUS, GRUYERE, AND FINES HERBES
1 1-pound loaf French bread, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces

1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths

6 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
2 cups grated Swiss cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup chopped fresh marjoram
Place bread on 2 large baking sheets. Let stand uncovered overnight to dry out.

Cook asparagus in medium pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold running water to cool. Drain well.

Whisk eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in large bowl. Mix cheeses and herbs in medium bowl. Place half of bread in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with half of asparagus, then half of cheese mixture. Pour half of egg mixture over. Repeat with remaining bread, asparagus, cheese mixture, and egg mixture. Let stand 20 minutes, pressing with spatula to submerge bread pieces.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake bread pudding until brown and puffed, about 45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

I should also mention the wedding is 300+ people.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:40 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,318,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
So, I am getting married, and my fiance is Indian and Hindu. That being said he doesn't eat meat (nor do about 90% of the people his parents are inviting).
Please accept my apologies for not knowing the answer to this, but are your fiance and wedding guests vegetarian or Vegan? Do they eat eggs and milk, or do they adhere to a diet totally free of all animal products? That will make a difference in the type of recipes I'd pull out of our files to share with you. I'll check back in tomorrow with the recipe file at hand and see what I can come up with.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:45 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,478,059 times
Put an add in the paper or at the closest Hindu Temple. Maybe you will get lucky and can hire some nice old ladies to make something better.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Please accept my apologies for not knowing the answer to this, but are your fiance and wedding guests vegetarian or Vegan? Do they eat eggs and milk, or do they adhere to a diet totally free of all animal products? That will make a difference in the type of recipes I'd pull out of our files to share with you. I'll check back in tomorrow with the recipe file at hand and see what I can come up with.
They are vegetarian. I look forward to what you come up with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Put an add in the paper or at the closest Hindu Temple. Maybe you will get lucky and can hire some nice old ladies to make something better.

This is the problem. Closest Hindu temple is HOURS away. We are talking middle of no-where. We need to have a vegetarian entree, but his dad is considering bringing in some side Indian food.....we're not counting on that though!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:42 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,478,059 times
Online Shopping - Products: Kitchens of India.com (http://www.kitchensofindia.com/products_online_shopping.asp - broken link)

Buy it and heat it. I eat this stuff all the time. I buy it at Target. The only thing you will have to make is some rice and naan.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 PM

Ok, here's one you can try:

Biryani

4 tsp. vegetable oil
6 oz. Basmati rice
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. turmeric
pinch of saffron
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
2 c. cauliflower florets
6 oz. yam or sweet potato, cubed
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 c. diced green pepper
1 c. diced tomato
1/4 c. raisins

Heat 2 tsp oil in a 2-qt. saucepan. Add the rice and toss to coat. Add 1 3/4 cup water, the turmeric, salt and saffron. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes.

While the rice is cooking, heat 2 tsp. oil in a saute pan. Saute onions until they start to sweat. Add the cumin, cinnamon and Cayenne pepper, and toss to combine. Add the cauliflower florets and the yam cubes with 1/2 c. water and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garbanzo beans, green pepper, tomatoes and raisins. Cook for 5 more minutes.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2-qt casserole dish with pan spray. Put half of the cooked saffron rice in the bottom of the casserole, pour the sauteed vegetable mixture over that, and top with the rest of the rice. Cover and bake 45 minutes.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:59 PM

These are a couple of our favorite lentil soup recipes that I posted in another thread. Not sure how soup would work for a wedding reception, but they're both mighty tasty.

LuLu's Lentil Soup

1 c. green lentils
1 qt. water
1 dried hot red pepper (use a whole one so you can fish it out at the end)
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped fine
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 (16-oz) can tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. cinammon
1/2 tsp. sumac (optional but it adds a nice touch)
1 lemon

Put lentils, water and hot pepper in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn down heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add celery, carrots, onion, cumin, garlic powder and tomatoes. Simmer 20 minutes longer.

Add cinnamon, sumac and the juice of one lemon and simmer for 20 minutes more. Fish out the red pepper. Serve with warmed pita bread.

Sumac is a Middle-Eastern spice that isn't very common in the US. We buy it at Penzeys (they have a dozen or so bricks-and-mortar stores and a very comprehensive catalog) but if there's a Middle-Eastern market in your community, you could probably find it there.

Bunky's Lentil Soup

1 c. red lentils
1 qt. water
1 tsp. salt
1 small onion, minced fine
1 Tbs Penzey's Turkish seasoning

Place lentils, water, salt and onion in a large saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the Turkish seasoning and simmer another 15 minutes.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:12 PM

If you want to incorporate both Indian and western vegetarian dishes in your reception, perhaps you could do some vegetarian quiches as well. A good mushroom & Swiss cheese quiche would be a great addition. Here's one from the New Moosewood Cookbook:

10" pie pan lined with your preferred crust (not baked)
1 tsp. butter or margerine
1 1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced or minced
1/2 tsp. salt
black pepper to taste
pinch of thyme
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
4 large eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
2 Tbs. flour
1 1/2 c. (packed) grated Swiss cheese
paprika

Preheat oven to 375. Melt butter in a small pan. Add onions, saute over medium heat for a few minutes. When they start to soften, add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, thyme and mustard. Saute about 5 minutes longer, then remove from the heat.

Combine eggs, milk and flour in a blender or food processor and beat well.

Spread the grated cheese over the bottom of the unbaked crust, then the onion-mushroom mixture over that. Pour in the egg/milk mixture, and sprinkle with paprika.

Bake 35-45 minutes, until solid in the center. Can be served hot, warm or at room temperature.

Spinach pie is another possibility; my spouse does a spinach pie that is absolutely divine (I'll have to quiz him for the recipe, though, as he doesn't have that one written down).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food