U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would enjoy being a vegetarian?
Yes 41 51.90%
No 40 50.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:51 PM

3,926 posts, read 10,315,251 times

Advertisements

I can do either...just keep the good food coming. If it looks or smells gross to me though I won't touch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 PM

16,528 posts, read 20,980,909 times
To this day, my friends shake their head at me when I go to a food buffet and load up on veggies, especially broccoli, brussell sprouts, and cauliflower. Always loved veggies as a kid as well. I am guilty of having a double giant deathburger when I'm on the road eating, but happily only succumb to that vice every other month, which is more than I can say for my eating habits 30 years ago. For my next vice, however, will be Palisade Peaches from my part of the sticks. One word says it all on that subject-YUMS!!!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 07:22 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,945,019 times
I tried becoming a vegetarian as a teen-ager. My parents agreed to it, but then told me I had to eat poultry. Huh? They didn't get it. They still think I spent those last years at home as a vegetarian. Very strange how people can convince themselves of such stuff. Anyway, I truly became a vegetarian once I left for college. That lasted about 2 years or so, then I just felt like eating buffalo wings. I could easily become a vegetarian again and the only thing I would miss would be sushi and buffalo wings.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM

461 posts, read 1,331,207 times
I'm a vegetarian, I enjoy it. My hubby enjoys meat, I cook it for him every night. I am very picky about how his meat was raised and killed. (I buy from a local farm that does everything)The things that go on in those factories give me heart failure. We live together happily and peacefully and enjoy eating our meals together and don't judge eachother. I could never be vegan though... I can't live without Ice cream or cheese

Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,033,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Why are you trying? I don't ask this casually; that could be the clue to why you've failed so many times, and what would help you succeed.
My motivation behind it is the morality of it. I think it's hypocritical of me to be playing with my cats and knowing that I would do anything to protect them from harm only to get up and go and eat a steak or a roast chicken or something. I've always been of the belief that all living creatures are equal, be they anything from a human being to an ant, however I was raised as a meat-eater so it's very difficult to just cut meat out of my diet completely. My failures have come from me just being tempted by the smell of bacon or something else trivial like that but I'm really going to make an effort this time. When I tried before I just stopped eating meat altogether but I'm going to try and cut it down slowly to rid it from my diet as this is probably an easier way to go about it.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:26 PM

20,421 posts, read 37,822,098 times
Ah. Well, maybe this will help.

We are all part of the great circle of life. Thus, your cats, that you would do anything to protect, as carnivores, designed by nature to be so, will with no compunctions kill and eat (after playing with it for quite some time) a mouse that did nothing more than run across their path but that they are designed to view as food. Or a bird. (I've actually had a cat spend the better part of two weeks trying to teach me to be a good mouser, then give me up as a bad job because while I got VERY good at catching the live mice she brought in and dropped for me to catch and kill and eat, I insisted on taking them outside after catching them. She clearly decided I was somewhat slow because I wasn't getting the point of the entire exercise.)

As omnivores, we have our own place in the circle, designed by nature to be what we are. I personally would never insult the other animals in the circle who fulfill their roles without pretending to be other than they are by pretending that I'm somehow better than they are and thus am obligated to step out of my role in nature.

That's my own personal spiritual reason for NOT being a vegetarian - the physical ones have to do with listening to my body and what makes it healthy, and that varies, likewise, from person to person.

The one thing I do feel required to do is to see that the animals that I eat have the best lives possible. That means, if I raise them, from birth to death, they get good pasture, fresh water, companionship, backrubs, the occasional beer, room to roam, etc. They're moved from pasture to pasture or paddock to paddock using techniques that I've learned from watching them interact with each other (or, if in a hurry, by the expedient of a bucket of their favorite cookies). Also, that they are slaughtered humanely. If I don't raise them, I try to buy from people who raise them similarly.

In that way, I'm fulfilling my role in the great circle honorably, as I see it.

So, you don't have to be a vegetarian in order to believe that all animals are equal in that they have a place to fill in the circle of life. Just as the cat and the mouse or bird are equal in that circle.

This may or may not apply to you, but it's how I view it.

What does your body tell you? What is it healthiest eating? (Some people are healthiest on a vegetarian diet. My best friend in the world since high school, before she died, was one. I, on the other hand, do best on a high protein, meat-eating diet. We both listened to our bodies and ate what they told us worked best, and managed to be friends for 35 years before I lost her.)

Old 08-20-2008, 07:56 PM

708 posts, read 2,410,723 times
Definitely enjoy being a vegetarian. Maybe I'll become a vegan, but until that day, I'll very much enjoy cheese. I'll pass on the milk and egg, even in the mean time.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:25 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,140,656 times
For those who voted no, i think they did so because they would not be happy with the taste of the foods yet they would be extremely happy with the after effects but they just don't know it yet!

one feels lighter when they DO NOT ingest red meat. Obviously one will be more healthy and not obese. One will also live longer and have less risk of many diseases such as diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and the list goes on...

Old 08-21-2008, 09:36 AM

20,421 posts, read 37,822,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
For those who voted no, i think they did so because they would not be happy with the taste of the foods yet they would be extremely happy with the after effects but they just don't know it yet!

one feels lighter when they DO NOT ingest red meat. Obviously one will be more healthy and not obese. One will also live longer and have less risk of many diseases such as diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and the list goes on...
Actually, I have tried a vegetarian diet a few times, and being a foodie (and a former personal chef), I'm well-versed in delicious ways to prepare vegetarian and even vegan meals.

However, you are making the assumption that everyone's body works the way yours does, that if something is best for you, that it simply MUST be best for everyone else on the planet. Never mind that they don't share your exact genetic makeup, place of living, or the other myriad of variables, if vegetarian is best for you, then clearly it is best for everyone from a health standpoint.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Eating vegetarian, no matter how carefully balanced and crafted, leaves me sick as a dog. Eating a high protein diet containing a moderate amount of red meat leaves me feeling extremely healthy and energetic. I could just as easily say that a red meat diet is essential for good health, based on my own personal experience, and that everyone should eat vegetarian, but I know better. For me, yes. For you, perhaps not.

I know two people well who have suffered from cancer. One, my best friend for life (and beyond), was a vegetarian and did everything she was "supposed to" to stay healthy. She died of ovarian cancer. She couldn't fool her genes. The other shares genes with me. She maintains her high school weight, eats a 10% or less fat diet (not vegetarian, but darned close), exercises regularly (she's a competitive square dancer), and she got breast cancer (there isn't any anywhere else in the family). I'm sorry, but there is no "magic bullet" to prevent these things, comforting as it might be to think so.

Why, oh, why, do people insist on bolstering their own choices by insisting that everyone else must make the same choice, or would make the same choice if only they knew better? One would think that their choices could stand on their own without that necessity, if they have confidence in them!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:55 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,866,220 times
I've been a vegetarian for years. I simply feel better when I don't eat meat. Every now and then, about once every six months, I'll give in to the craving for a burger. I always feel like cr*p for several days afterward. You would think that I'd learn.....

My fiance and my son are both meat eaters. But they have to eat meat whenever we go out. I very rarely ever cook it at home. They're both comfortable with eating my meatless meals, and truthfully don't seem to miss the meat. If they want a steak, we go out to dinner and I hit the salad bar. But we like to eat Indian and Thai quite frequently and they both offer a substantial number of veggie dishes.

I could never be vegan. That would be beyond painful.

Yes, I am a cheese-a-holic. I can't live without cheese. I can eat it in moderation but if I had to give it up completely, I'd go into withdrawls. It would NOT be pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food