U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would enjoy being a vegetarian?
Yes 41 51.90%
No 40 50.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 AM

947 posts, read 3,000,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Hi, need4Trees. Yes, there are vegans here..and a few Mods and several members are vegetarians as well!!

These are great comments...I just saw this thread.

I've been a vegetarian for about fifteen years. And an off-and-on vegan (I'm weak!!) for two years.

The worst time I ever had was in the second year of my being a vegetarian. Tough time, with all of my friends and family being meat-eaters, and my not knowing any other vegetarians to get ideas from.

I think the difficulty for some folks in maintaining the habit is its lack of fast-food ease and conveinience (guilty). That is, there aren't a lot of places to 'drive-through' or dine-in which offer truly vegetarian foods. If you don't have some one to show you the hows & wheres to get excellent vegetarian food stuff, giving yourself only a year to learn is not enough time.

If all you've known, as far as vegetarianism goes, is what you see in large national stores like Safeway, Haagen's etc. (the only ones I can think of now), you're missing the boat. That's another thing that made becoming a vegetarian difficult for me - I was used to too much prepared, convenient food. Aren't we all?? Making everying from scratch with fresh ingredients (including fresh spices) sure cleanses the palate and digestive system, eh? I love great tasting fresh food!

Thank goodness, there's a very fine restaurant which recently opened up in the Portland (Oregon) area. They serve superb vegan and vegetarian dishes, as well as meat/fish.

For me, the change from a meat-eating lifestyle (never big on the red meat, anyway) was a matter of conscience, and it was not an overnight process.

Anyone here up for a vegetarian/vegan sub-forum where we can discuss recipes, where to find the freshest ingredients, and assist others with info as far as obtaining these services?

As far as "listen to your body goes", mine is usually telling me "grab the coconut cake with lemon filling and run!" (Just kidding) ~

And KELE...I do mourn the loss of cheese - but it is the only thing I miss - !!!
Thank You SeeBee!!!

Good to know that there are a few of "us" here!

And I hear ya, being Vegan takes time and planning... easy to do at home, (mostly) but I let it slide else where.
I have been vegetarian for about 16 yrs! So glad to be one!
I do get frustrated when people have so many questions about it and then I know that they really don't want to hear the answer(s). That's gross, you're weird and so on. But I am who I am... proud of my lifestyle! I just make it simple to say that it is one simple thing I can do to reduce the animal suffering.

Ugh, not too long ago this girl at my work said sarcastically "what is that?" I said it is a veggie burger and she had never heard of one!!! I said it was veggies, brown rice etc in a patty. She said it sounded gross. Whatever. I just try to let it go but it bothers me sometimes. Then the next day she came in with a bacon wrap... no veggies Just Bacon!!! I don't get it! veggies are gross but animal flesh is not... I kept my mouth shut then left the room cuz of the smell... and Then... she asked why I left didn't want to say the truth to get into it any more. UGH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 AM

20,413 posts, read 37,807,118 times
I should have clarified. By "listen to your body", I don't mean "eat all the chocolate cake you can get your hands on". I mean, eat what makes your body feel healthy. For some this is a vegetarian diet - for others, such as myself, a vegetarian diet has the opposite effect.

So, if what you're eating makes you healthy, that's your body giving you feedback. If it makes you unhealthy, likewise.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:05 AM

20,413 posts, read 37,807,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
Thank You SeeBee!!!

Good to know that there are a few of "us" here!

And I hear ya, being Vegan takes time and planning... easy to do at home, (mostly) but I let it slide else where.
I have been vegetarian for about 16 yrs! So glad to be one!
I do get frustrated when people have so many questions about it and then I know that they really don't want to hear the answer(s). That's gross, you're weird and so on. But I am who I am... proud of my lifestyle! I just make it simple to say that it is one simple thing I can do to reduce the animal suffering.

Ugh, not too long ago this girl at my work said sarcastically "what is that?" I said it is a veggie burger and she had never heard of one!!! I said it was veggies, brown rice etc in a patty. She said it sounded gross. Whatever. I just try to let it go but it bothers me sometimes. Then the next day she came in with a bacon wrap... no veggies Just Bacon!!! I don't get it! veggies are gross but animal flesh is not... I kept my mouth shut then left the room cuz of the smell... and Then... she asked why I left didn't want to say the truth to get into it any more. UGH!!!
You do realize that your attitude is exactly the same as the people you're chastising for reacting negatively to your lifestyle choice, don't you?

My friend and I (and any vegetarians like her) got along just fine, because neither of us judged the other's dietary choices or held ourselves up as "better" because of the dietary choices we made. Our choices were our own and could stand on their own without us needing to tear others down in order for that to happen. That's the ideal, though I've found that it's very hard for a lot of people to live by it.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:14 AM

"Anyone here up for a vegetarian/vegan sub-forum where we can discuss recipes, where to find the freshest ingredients, and assist others with info as far as obtaining these services?"

Yea! How do we do that???
I could always get more ideas and recipes. Even though I have veggie cookbooks... don't use them much. I will only be cooking for one. But my boyfriend, who is veggie as well, maybe even a bit longer than I have been, will eat some things, but he does like to eat breads and cheeses, not much fresh foods, veggies or such! Haha so not so "healthy" of a vegetarian!!!

My family accepts and respects my lifestyle, my mom is mostly veggie and my 13yr niece is one!!! So things work out work fine.
She learns from me things that she would not have know. She is a very busy girl, full of energy and life! And she asks me q's all the time!!I am glad to help out!

If all you've known, as far as vegetarianism goes, is what you see in large national stores like Safeway, Haagen's etc. (the only ones I can think of now), you're missing the boat. That's another thing that made becoming a vegetarian difficult for me - I was used to too much prepared, convenient food. Aren't we all?? Making everying from scratch with fresh ingredients (including fresh spices) sure cleanses the palate and digestive system, eh? I love great tasting fresh food!

Yeah, nowadays Safeway's etc Do offer more choices for "us" but still not very much to what is actually available. Also It is a bit more costly in the short run to eat starting from scratch foods and fresh foods... But then later in life we'll generally be living life with less health concerns!!!

I love great tasting fresh food!
Me too, just don't always feel like making it!!! I need a bigger kitchen too!!!

It's funny, "lots of girls" love to shop, for shoes, clothes etc... I hate it...But I could spend lots of time at a natural market!!!!

Lets get that sub forum going!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You do realize that your attitude is exactly the same as the people you're chastising for reacting negatively to your lifestyle choice, don't you?

My friend and I (and any vegetarians like her) got along just fine, because neither of us judged the other's dietary choices or held ourselves up as "better" because of the dietary choices we made. Our choices were our own and could stand on their own without us needing to tear others down in order for that to happen. That's the ideal, though I've found that it's very hard for a lot of people to live by it.

WOW..................
Maybe you did not read my post???

I "get along" fine with the people in my life. I don't judge them. I eat what I want to eat. Some people are veggie and some are not, we All Respect each other and care about each other very much.
When people come up to Me and ask Me what I am eating and when I answer they say how gross that sounds............ uhhhhh I am chastising them? That is Disrespectful and I do Not do it to them! And I still did Not do it to my coworker even though she disrespected me!!! If I do not like something I leave the room without saying anything like I explained in my post.

YEAH, I walked out of the room!!!!!!!!!!! Said nothing to her like she said to me.That fact that I think it is the other way around is one thing the fact that she expressed it is another thing... disrespectful to me. I did not judge her, remember she was the one that asked the question and made the rude comment.

Good that you and your friend get along. I do too with my friends and family very much so. I have good quality loving respectful people in my life!!! I am so very happy about that!

SeeBee, lets get that Sub Forum going!!! what do we need to do?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:46 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,273,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees;4955491[U
I love great tasting fresh food![/u] Me too, just don't always feel like making it!!! I need a bigger kitchen too!!!

It's funny, "lots of girls" love to shop, for shoes, clothes etc... I hate it...But I could spend lots of time at a natural market!!!!

Lets get that sub forum going!
Yup, sign me up for a bigger kitchen! I hate shopping, haven't been to a mall in years (but then my wardrobe looks like it, too!), but could buy out most of a natural market, if I had the chance. Building a well-stocked kitchen from the ground up is very expensive.

And...the best 'burger' in the world, IMO, is not a pretend-burger at all. It is make from red/black beans, brown rice, etc.....I was surprised at how incredible it tasted (I recently found this company). That's fresh food for you!

Not sure how to get the sub-forum thing going. Maybe it'll end up in the green living section? I think you have to pose the idea to a Moderator, who then checks with the owner/Senior Mods. I just don't want to be involved in one which ends up in arguments and justifications for individual choices (either way). It should be all about the food, and helping each other out!!! I'll check on the forum idea when I get back home. ~ ~

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 08-22-2008 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I should have clarified. By "listen to your body", I don't mean "eat all the chocolate cake you can get your hands on". I mean, eat what makes your body feel healthy. For some this is a vegetarian diet - for others, such as myself, a vegetarian diet has the opposite effect.

So, if what you're eating makes you healthy, that's your body giving you feedback. If it makes you unhealthy, likewise.
I understood. Just joshing ya'...and I agree! If you enjoy what you eat and cook, and it makes you healthy, well, then Soldier On! I firmly believe, to each his own.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yup, sign me up for a bigger kitchen! I hate shopping, haven't been to a mall in years (but then my wardrobe looks like it, too!), but could buy out most of a natural market, if I had the chance. Building a well-stocked kitchen from the ground up is very expensive.

And...the best 'burger' in the world, IMO, is not a pretend-burger at all. It is make from red/black beans, brown rice, etc.....I was surprised at how incredible it tasted (I recently found this company). That's fresh food for you!

Not sure how to get the sub-forum thing going. Maybe it'll end up in the green living section? I think you have to pose the idea to a Moderator, who then checks with the owner/Senior Mods. I just don't want to be involved in one which ends up in arguments and justifications for individual choices (either way). It should be all about the food, and helping each other out!!! I'll check on the forum idea when I get back home. ~ ~

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good day!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,418,738 times
Quote:

If we can have a sub forum under those conditions, count me in!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
If we can have a sub forum under those conditions, count me in!
Excellent! We're working on it as I type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food