U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,412,454 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many will take this to heart?

UN says eat less meat to curb global warming | Environment | The Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 01:29 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,254,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Yeah, I read that on BBC. Don't think too many people will take it to heart...according to what I've read, the whole 'global warming' thing is a conspiracy by Democrats, tree-huggers, animal lovers, evil scientists, sociologists and economists - and soy eaters - to undermine the world economy...

Old 09-09-2008, 07:40 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,013,292 times
Well, I don't know who's responsible for all this "global warming" mania~more then likely people who can make a mint from it. You'd find it hard to convince me of it while I've been spending the last 8 days with 15 degree below average temps. The inventors () of it are probably selling many upgrades for houses and cars and other gadgets.

The ONE good thing that has come out of this is more people are being aware of how wasteful we are as a nation. If it convinces more people to go veggie~all the better.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:48 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,118,155 times
As usual, I'm late to the party, but .....

As a child, my parents served every conceivable kind (and piece) of meat, every night. And even as a child, if I thought about where that piece of meat came from, it would be extremely difficult for me to eat it.

This difficulty continued into adulthood until, finally, I asked myself -- "If I'm this uncomfortable eating meat, WHY am I eating it?"

I stopped cold turkey (if you'll pardon the expression ) more than 20 years ago, and never looked back.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 PM

873 posts, read 1,442,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Yep! As a favorite bumper sticker of mine says, "If you love animals called pets, why do you eat animals called dinner?" Anyone who stops to reflect on that is in for a huge shock.

It's just amazing to me how we, as a meat-eating society, have such a disconnect between that neatly packaged little piece of meat in the supermarket and the cow that was happily grazing in the pasture a few weeks before.

I haven't seen "Peaceable Kingdom," but if it's anything like "The Witness," I'm sure it's both graphic, eye-opening, and heart-wrenching. A friend of my wife's family started Tribe of Heart and makes those videos. I don't see how anyone who views them could ever look at an animal ever again as food, or clothing, or entertainment, or anything else but another living being with feelings that just wants to live ... and will fight just as hard to keep living as you and I do.

Enjoy your rec point.
Very well said. It is a disconnect. My son's former girlfriend couldn't eat chicken off the bone, it gave her the creeps. I had never thought about it that way until she said it. Now I can't either.

I'm not vegan in fact, I'm not even a vegetarian. I don't eat much meat at all, usually seafood, cheese and a lot of veggies. Living around a lot of meat eaters does make it tough. Since animal cruelty is something I abhor, you would think it wouldn't be so difficult, but it is.

Meat is very hard on our digestive system which is one reason why I turned to more seafood in my diet. Once in awhile a good steak sounds way too good and yet, the price the poor cow pays and the price my stomach pays usually aren't worth it.

This is a good thread. I'll try harder. More power to all of you.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:36 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,412,454 times
Eastidahomom,
You're doing great! Listen to your body andyou may find that the meat eventually gives you up instead of vice versa.

Peace,

XP

Old 09-28-2008, 06:37 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,596,840 times
When you force yourself to eat meat ,and you could not with many attempts.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:47 PM

74 posts, read 326,365 times
It's great to see this sub-forum!

Mainstream media gives you a warm fuzzy picture of animals romping on a farm and enjoying an idyllic farm life. Well, that couldn't be further from the truth and I'm glad it's finally coming out of the shadows. Just the other day, Oprah had her show devoted to the plight of animals confined to gestation crates and battery cages.

My husband is an avid hunter which I never agreed with, but I started to transition to all wild game, because I thought it was more ethical to eat something that was born free and had a fair chance at life. Well, one night my husband was watching that show with Ted Nugent(ick!) and he said to his contestants something like "you're a hypocrite if you eat meat but you have hired assassins do the killing for you." Well, I started to think that if I couldn't kill it myself, then I shouldn't be eating it. Goes to show, you can even learn something from a smarmy, narcissistic, show-off like "Uncle" Ted, lol.

I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 2 years, lost 40 pounds, dropped my cholesterol 70 points and feel better than I've felt in a long time.

We should all agree not respond to any trolls on this forum because I know this a subject ripe for trolls.

Last edited by Tiki Girl; 10-14-2008 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-14-2008, 10:23 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,163,056 times
Been meat free for 9 days. I had my "head in the sand" for my entire adult life and ate meat without abandon. I love beef - ALOT. But then I visited the website of a company called Maple Leaf Food. They are a potential client of the firm I work for. Within their website they had an article on how pressure from PETA caused them to revamp their factory pig farming practices; particularly a practice for gestating female pigs. I clicked the link and was taken to a horrific video and that was it for me. I then decided to take the PETA "30 Day Pledge" and it's going fine. I have had pets my entire life and love animals and to me, animals are animals. Dogs and cats don't prevail over pigs and cows. That video was it for me. And I'm eating better and spending less money and helping the environment and taking my own little stand.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:24 PM

11,151 posts, read 14,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Been meat free for 9 days. I had my "head in the sand" for my entire adult life and ate meat without abandon. I love beef - ALOT. But then I visited the website of a company called Maple Leaf Food. They are a potential client of the firm I work for. Within their website they had an article on how pressure from PETA caused them to revamp their factory pig farming practices; particularly a practice for gestating female pigs. I clicked the link and was taken to a horrific video and that was it for me. I then decided to take the PETA "30 Day Pledge" and it's going fine. I have had pets my entire life and love animals and to me, animals are animals. Dogs and cats don't prevail over pigs and cows. That video was it for me. And I'm eating better and spending less money and helping the environment and taking my own little stand.
Way to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food