Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been drinking soy milk for awhile now and wanted to try Rice milk.
What is your favorite kind/type of Rice milk? I would use it for my cereal in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 AM

15 posts, read 54,405 times
enriched rice dream or trader joe's brand.
not much of a taste difference among different brands of rice milk really.

i honestly don't like the flavored ones.
rice dream has a nice line up of products

Old 08-25-2008, 09:15 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
For plain drinking, I love Chocolate Rice Dream but you have to shake it really well as it separates.

I'd use Vanilla Rice Dream with cereal, except I tend to eat cereal dry and drink the rice milk separately as I like my cereal to stay crunchy.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:28 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
I much prefer rice milk over soy milk. The very best "milk" I've ever tasted was hemp milk, and of course, it depends upon the quality of the brand. Hemp milk is very expensive, so I usually use rice milk for coffee/tea. Pretty much, that's all I use it for. I also use the Trader Joe's brand, tastes better than any other, imo ~

Old 08-25-2008, 01:37 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I much prefer rice milk over soy milk. The very best "milk" I've ever tasted was hemp milk, and of course, it depends upon the quality of the brand. Hemp milk is very expensive, so I usually use rice milk for coffee/tea. Pretty much, that's all I use it for. I also use the Trader Joe's brand, tastes better than any other, imo ~
We don't have Trader Joe's in Texas.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Enriched Rice Dream Vanilla. The Enriched has more Calcium. Works great for cereal or just plain. It's absolutely horrible for any recipes that require milk. I've found it cheaper at Whole Foods than at Publix or Kroger.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:48 PM

438 posts, read 1,196,670 times
A bit OT, but I strongly prefer almond milk to both soy and rice milks. It's absolutely terrific, doesn't need sweetener (I find rice milk is usually WAY too sweet for my taste), and has a smooth flavor that's much more akin to cow's milk than the alternatives. Of the several brands available, we usually get Blue Diamond, unsweetened and vanilla-flavored, though plain is fine too.

Seriously, if you haven't tried it, definitely give it a shot. I switched some months ago, and haven't looked back.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Ohhhh, yeah! Hemp milk is so creamy and yummy! It kept separating in our coffee, though ... it didn't seem to hold together in hot liquid too well. Maybe it was just the brand we used ... but now we're back to soymilk in the coffee.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:35 PM

268 posts, read 1,613,901 times
I've been using Full Circle. It's pretty cheap.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 PM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Hi,

I've been drinking soy milk for awhile now and wanted to try Rice milk.
What is your favorite kind/type of Rice milk? I would use it for my cereal in the morning.
Rice milk is very easy to make, and much cheaper than buying it. There are many recipes on the web and it's very much a matter of personal taste, but here's how I make it:

1 c hot brown rice
3 c hot water
handful cashews
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt
2 tbsp honey

Blend all ingredients, chill and serve.

A lot of other recipes call for straining a mixture of ingredients through cheesecloth --- if you do it like that, you're left with cooked/dried/smooshed-up rice kernels --- which are great as a base for hot breakfast or stirred into soup or chili.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food