U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:32 AM

3,351 posts, read 5,942,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Just have to say that I love this thread.

Destination, that was a funny post.
Thanks!

Quote:
I have no specific stories, but I have been interrogated mainly by relatives who want me to eat meat and want me to buy it and cook it. Why else would it bother someone else whether I eat it or not? Actually, I've been cornered by them and made to feel extremely uncomfortable. It's happened with various relatives and I really got tired of having to defend myself and explain myself~REPEATEDLY!!!
Oh, yeah. Same here. You just get tired of having to explain yourself over and over, not to mention deal with the taunts and insults. My mom was so passive-aggressive about it when my wife and I went veg. We'd come over for a visit, and she'd offer us some of her chicken, and then she'd throw her arms up in the air in mock exasperation and then say, with mock surprise, "Ohhhh, that's right! You can't eat my chicken!" We kept saying it's not that we can't; we choose not to. But it went in one ear and out the other.

After that, it became "I don't know what to feed you people," as if we were some kind of aliens. But it finally got a little bit better. She'd make us sweet corn and salad every time we came over. That came to be a little bit of a joke between my wife and me -- "I wonder what Mom is going to feed us?" -- but at least she was finally trying, even if she didn't understand. Lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Destination Seattle, I see you currently live in DC. We moved from the DC Metro area to New England and while I love it here, I REALLY miss all the wonderful vegetarian food we used to get in restaurants in DC and the surrounding towns.... . I especially miss Java Green, sigh. Their brunch is the best!!!
Hey! Small world. Yeah, we're glad to live in an area where we at least have some decent options when we go out to eat. Sunflower Vegetarian is our absolute favorite restaurant. Did you ever go there? There's one in Vienna and one in Falls Church. It's 100% vegetarian (and 90% vegan) Japanese-style food. Absolutely delicious! I'm hooked on their shabu-shabu and their fried "chicken" (TVP nugget) appetizer. Yum, yum!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather21365 View Post
2. They're big pieces. You can just pick around them. -- I don't have a sassy response for this, only to explain that I just am not comfortable eating something cooked in meat. I try to be as polite about it as I can, and thankfully that doesn't come up too much.
Oh, gosh, I think my head would blow off if someone told me that! How condescending! I guess you could tell them what they'd think if you made a salad but put some cat meat in it. You just *love* eating cats, but they can "pick around it" if they don't like it. I have sassy replies for just about everything.

Quote:
3. You're a vegetarian? That's cool. So you still eat fish, right? -- Now, this I blame less on the person asking and more on the people that call themselves vegetarian but openly and proudly eat fish. If you DO eat fish, I am not judging you. Seafood and sushi were the hardest things for me to stop eating, by far. Just please, for the sake of the rest of us, don't call yourself a vegetarian. Calling yourself a vegetarian then chowing down on some salmon creates awkward moments for those of us who don't eat fish and are proudly presented with a special seafood "vegetarian" dish at a dinner party.
That has never happened to me, but given how many people think I eat fish, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

And yes, people if you eat fish, that's fine, but you're not a vegetarian.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
I couldn't help but post here....

Upon hearing that I was a vegan, my coworker asked "So where do you get your dairy?" Hmmm...since when is dairy a food group?
LOL! Good grief!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,011,046 times
Yes, it's funny how people get confused about that when it actually had nothing to do with fish not being meat. The meatless Friday began because the fishermen were suffering financially. Somehow it's come through the ages that fish just isn't meat.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:59 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,976,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
My mom was so passive-aggressive about it when my wife and I went veg. We'd come over for a visit, and she'd offer us some of her chicken, and then she'd throw her arms up in the air in mock exasperation and then say, with mock surprise, "Ohhhh, that's right! You can't eat my chicken!" We kept saying it's not that we can't; we choose not to. But it went in one ear and out the other.

After that, it became "I don't know what to feed you people," as if we were some kind of aliens. But it finally got a little bit better. She'd make us sweet corn and salad every time we came over. That came to be a little bit of a joke between my wife and me -- "I wonder what Mom is going to feed us?" -- but at least she was finally trying, even if she didn't understand. Lord.
Oh, that's is horrible! I am so lucky to have an understanding family. At first, my father wasn't too keen on the idea, although he never expressed that to me. He grew up on a dairy farm; although he did jokingly say that if I became vegan I would be disowned. And all of the parents were very concerned when we said that our son would be vegetarian as well. But I told them that our doctor doesn't have any concern, so why should they? But then again, both my parents and MIL know better than to argue with me (I tend to be a little stubborn). For most of my veggie life, I have lived around people that are either veggies, think its cool, or really don't care.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,976,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Yes, it's funny how people get confused about that when it actually had nothing to do with fish not being meat. The meatless Friday began because the fishermen were suffering financially. Somehow it's come through the ages that fish just isn't meat.
When I had my little confrontation with the cashier over tuna, I finally had to tell her that anything that is flesh--that breathes and moves on its own--is meat. I hated to do that because it seemed so barbaric or something.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:04 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,011,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
When I had my little confrontation with the cashier over tuna, I finally had to tell her that anything that is flesh--that breathes and moves on its own--is meat. I hated to do that because it seemed so barbaric or something.
It's not barbaric. It sounds like you had to be specific cause she wasn't understanding. I'm not sure why it's just so incomprehensible to some people. Maybe they've just never thought about it??? If something breathes and moves and blinks and has feelings, it's probably a living being.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM

113 posts, read 522,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
My mom was so passive-aggressive about it when my wife and I went veg. We'd come over for a visit, and she'd offer us some of her chicken, and then she'd throw her arms up in the air in mock exasperation and then say, with mock surprise, "Ohhhh, that's right! You can't eat my chicken!" We kept saying it's not that we can't; we choose not to. But it went in one ear and out the other.

After that, it became "I don't know what to feed you people," as if we were some kind of aliens. But it finally got a little bit better. She'd make us sweet corn and salad every time we came over.
This is one thing I do feel very lucky about -- I'm surrounded by family members who do try hard to keep me well-fed, and I appreciate every bit of it.

My parents, when I went veg (for the first time in high school), researched and bought meatless products so we could still all eat the same dinner. Now, several years later, they still eat veggie burgers even though it's just the two of them.

My boyfriend's family has been wonderful as well -- every time we go over to his dad and stepmom's, they prepare a virtual veggie feast; black beans, homemade pasta salad, regular salad, potatoes, green beans, etc. Going out to eat with them, his dad scans the menu to ensure I have things to eat.

When we went down to rural Mississippi on July 4th for a cookout among his family, everyone brought food that I could eat, and they even grilled tons of veggies for me. His grandfather brought a big container of fresh grown tomatoes especially for me. I suspect some people had to modify their potato salad recipe (etc) to take out the bacon so I could eat it. I was so touched.

So...it's not all bad. There is hope. Now, if Memphis would only have a vegetarian restaurant, I'd be in heaven.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Oh, that's is horrible! I am so lucky to have an understanding family. At first, my father wasn't too keen on the idea, although he never expressed that to me. He grew up on a dairy farm; although he did jokingly say that if I became vegan I would be disowned. And all of the parents were very concerned when we said that our son would be vegetarian as well. But I told them that our doctor doesn't have any concern, so why should they? But then again, both my parents and MIL know better than to argue with me (I tend to be a little stubborn). For most of my veggie life, I have lived around people that are either veggies, think its cool, or really don't care.
That's great! I don't get any guff where I work, because it's a pretty open-minded company, plus out of a pod of six people in my work area, three of us are vegetarians. It's good to be among friends!

My wife's mom was totally supportive when we made the change. She was a vegetarian for several years back in the '70s, so she knew what it was like to have to deal with weird looks and insensitive people and rude questions. Her only concern was that we were rushing into it too fast, since we both went "cold turkey" into it, but with her help, and the support of each other, we did just fine, and we did our best to tune out everyone else! Her mom even made us a great vegetarian Thanksgiving spread that first year, complete with Tofurky "turkey" and everything.

I'm like you ... most people know I'm too stubborn, so they'd give up trying to argue with me about it. I think that's what happened with my mom ... she still thought I was an alien for not eating meat, but she knew it did no good for her to argue with me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food