Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:09 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times

Advertisements

New or Considering Going Veg? Post Your Questions Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,306 times
Default Oh great, a place to get started!

Ok, for various reasons I've been toying with the idea of going vegetarian. I've never been a huge meat eater to begin with and I'd like to get healthier. The current high food prices play a part as well. My husband is probably much more of a veggie person than I am. I'm trying to wean our menu into no meat. We are still slowly using up the stockpile in the freezer that I don't want to waste, but there's not much left. I think the biggest obstacle is just getting used to planning and cooking meals differently. We've been making vegetarian chili, soups, spaghetti and lasagna for a few years now. We frequently use legumes in our recipes, so we get our protein there. It's just that whole upbringing of the four food groups and getting out of that mindset that seems to be hard. That, and I love fish and seafood on occasion. Any suggestions on weaning into the lifestyle???? As long as we have legumes and nuts we don't really need those meat substitutes do we? And if we do want to use them for our old favorite recipes, are they expensive?

Old 08-28-2008, 01:10 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
geekduo,
Thanks for stopping by. You are right that it requires learning to look at the food groups in a different way (www.vegetariantimes.com/2007/pdf/vegetarian_starter_kit.pdf - broken link) so be sure to learn your new food pyramid. It sounds like you are doing OK weaning yourself from a meat-based diet. I tried and eventually failed to go cold turkey (twice) but finally went veggie for good by easing into it.

I would suggest a few things:

-Stop buying meat altogether and consider throwing out some of what you already have (save only what you need to achieve a soft landing).

-Explore other ethnic foods, especially Indian and Middle Eastern. We love couscous, samosas, etc.

-Beans are your friend: A veggie filled burrito with beans, corn, etc is so much better than one with meat in it.

-Heat up peppers with a bit of oil and a bit of salt (we get nice juicy ones from Morocco and Spain here) - the perfect snack.

-Find a veggie restaurant (should be a few in Madison - not sure if you live close) and sample lots on the menu.

-Cut meat down until you are left with only fish, then ease out from there.

-Be ready to feel great after eating (not heavy and bloated) and expect your GI system to do a bit of "house cleaning" when you've finally gone 100% veg.

-Look around in this subforum and you'll find some great recipes and ideas, not to mention lots of nice people with much better advice than I can offer.

-Expect that not all of your friends and family will understand but you'll look and feel so great that you'll know you are doing the right thing.

-Let us know how you and your husband are progressing so we can offer our support.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the link XPAT! I took a quick look at it and I think it's exactly what I needed.
I guess I'll be a lacto-ovo though. I just can't imagine giving up cheese. I was born and raised in the dairy state after all. There's nothing like a good sharp cheddar or gorgonzola.

We do eat burritos too. We cook the dried beans together with some spices. Sometimes I'll add some cilantro to the rice while it's cooking for using in the burritos as well.

I love Indian cooking, especially samosa's! I used to have a co-worker friend that would feed us occasionally, I'll have to look into learning to cook them.

Actually, my husband was vegetarian at one time (before I knew him), so most of the family won't be surprised and the rest won't care. He's the one that got me used to having my spaghetti and lasagna meatless. As I prefer veggies anyway, this is a natural progression.

Thanks for the suggestions and support, I am looking forward to being healthier. Any recipe ideas that kids will eat would be appreciated. Their eating habits are one of our biggest obstacles.

On another note, how long have you been living in Italy? Mediterranean foods are definitely our favorite, especially Italian. That's the one place I'd love most to travel to someday.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
geekduo--where in the state do you live? I am from Wisconsin and might be able to point you to some good veggie restuarants, depending on where you are.

My suggestion is to find a good cookbook for you and then make a recipe from it once a week. Look for one that will suit your needs--cooking for two or quick cooking, or ethnic cooking--whatever suits your lifestyle. Make sure to write in the cookbook for future references. I also subscribe to Vegetarian Times, which has many, many recipes in each issue. Its a great way to get new ideas, especially since they often focus on food that is in season.

Buying veggie meat will be cheaper overall because you won't buy it as often and you won't eat as much at a sitting as regular meat. For me, I think it is a great way to help you ease into vegetarianism. The longer you are a veggie, the less and less you will use these replacements. However, I know other people differ on this. If it helps at all, I would crave very specific meat products for a long time after I turned. The last craving was a roast beef sandwhich from Arbys. I have know idea why. My husband had cravings as well. These pass.

How old are your children? Let me know and I will give you some ideas on recipes for them. We just checked out Salad People and Other Real Recipes by Mollie Katzen (Moosewood Cafe). My son loves it! It includes picture directions for the kids as well.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
geekduo--where in the state do you live? I am from Wisconsin and might be able to point you to some good veggie restuarants, depending on where you are.

My suggestion is to find a good cookbook for you and then make a recipe from it once a week. Look for one that will suit your needs--cooking for two or quick cooking, or ethnic cooking--whatever suits your lifestyle. Make sure to write in the cookbook for future references. I also subscribe to Vegetarian Times, which has many, many recipes in each issue. Its a great way to get new ideas, especially since they often focus on food that is in season.

Buying veggie meat will be cheaper overall because you won't buy it as often and you won't eat as much at a sitting as regular meat. For me, I think it is a great way to help you ease into vegetarianism. The longer you are a veggie, the less and less you will use these replacements. However, I know other people differ on this. If it helps at all, I would crave very specific meat products for a long time after I turned. The last craving was a roast beef sandwhich from Arbys. I have know idea why. My husband had cravings as well. These pass.

How old are your children? Let me know and I will give you some ideas on recipes for them. We just checked out Salad People and Other Real Recipes by Mollie Katzen (Moosewood Cafe). My son loves it! It includes picture directions for the kids as well.
Thanks CrazyMe. We live in the country around Green Bay/Appleton area. I've been to Kavarna and really loved it. Not only the food, but the whole vibe as well. I'm told Urban Frog is good as well but I haven't tried it yet. I think it's harder when we want something quick for dinner since the small town we live by only has a McD's, a Subway and your typical local cafes.
I did find a bulk foods store in Appleton that has a lot of the legumes, whole wheat pastas and other stuff that we like to buy. I wish I could find a store in Green Bay like that but have had no luck so far.

The kids are 7, 10, and 12. Like a lot of kids, there always seems to be one that doesn't like what's for dinner. They also seem to ALL dislike some of our favorite vegetarian dinners, especially anything with beans that aren't the sweet baked variety. For instance, when we make burritos for us, we usually make taco meat for them because they don't like refried beans or rice in theirs. I'm thinking of going and looking for some meat replacement to try cooking for them. Which would you suggest? Would Woodman's carry it?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Subway can be good, but make sure they use clean knives to cut the sandwhich. Most of the knives are coated with meat.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 PM

146 posts, read 350,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Subway can be good, but make sure they use clean knives to cut the sandwhich. Most of the knives are coated with meat.
I once had a subway employee threaten me after we got into an argument over him changing his gloves. Normally it doesn't matter to me because I am a vegan mainly for ethical principles. Traces of meat are highly ubiquitous in any kind of food at a restaurant (except a veggie one, of course). But his gloves were obviously sheening with a lot of meat residue, and I asked him to change them mainly for personal reasons. I never went to that subway again.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:50 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
geekduo--I only lived in Appleton for two years, but my MIL lives nearby, so I am often there. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about GB. The whole area is sadly understocked on veggie places! It seems that all the major grocery stores are carrying "natural foods," but some place them in a whole different section, some alongside "regular" food, and some do both! You should be able to find it, though.

As for crumbles, MorningStar is easier to use, but Boca is more ethical (MS uses GMO and is not organic. Boca has both an organic and non-organic line and pledges not to use GMOs in either). I recently used one that was in the refrig. section that is in a plastic tube. It was very good, too. My oldest son (5) refuses to eat beans, too. When we make burritos, we put a very thin spread of refried beans, and then pile cheese and sour cream (we use sour supreme--very tasty) and whatever else on top.

If you are ever in Appleton, try PB Loco in a stripmall by the mall. They have several flavors of peanut butter with wacky sandwich combinations and they are all yummy! My husband and I always try to have a date night at Sai Ram (on Northland, I believe, next to the Frame Workshop and Koreana). It is excellent Indian food at good prices.

Alright, children call. I will post again with some ideas for kid-friendly dishes.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 PM

Those sound like great restaurants CrazyMe. I'll have to look them up.

Thanks for the info on the "meat" crumbles. But what are GMO's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food