Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,108,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
oops, missed a tablespoon of vegan margarine in the sauce!
Awesome blog. I'm following you (I hope that's not like stalking.... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 PM

I'm playing with another white-bean soup, since the last one was a hit at our house.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/6597017-post52.html

This one will be tomato-based with broccoli and pasta(no potatoes). I'll finish it with a bit of shaved Asiago, olive oil and cracked black pepper and serve with crusty bread.

I'll try to remember to take a picture

Last edited by plaidmom; 01-06-2009 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 06:29 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,439,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I'm playing with another white-bean soup, since the last one was a hit at our house.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/6597017-post52.html

This one will be tomato-based with broccoli and pasta(no potatoes). I'll finish it with a bit of shaved Asiago, olive oil and cracked black pepper and serve with crusty bread.

I'll try to remember to take a picture
Omg! That sounds seriously good!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Omg! That sounds seriously good!
errrr, it didn't turn out as well as the first version. I have some work to do!

One of the things about playing in the kitchen: sometimes I hit a home-run and sometimes I strike out.

I'm working on a carmelized onion tart tonight (see the "regular" what's for dinner thread, I accidentally posted there) with a salad of mixed greens/gorgonzola/toasted walnuts and......homemade apple pie. A bit heavy on the pastry tonight ( I know) but I had a pie-dough recipe from "America's Test Kitchen" and well.....wanted to test that out (secret ingredient: vodka!!! ).

Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,681,349 times
Stuffed Peppers

Green Pepper
Yellow Squash
2 Carrots
1/2 Yellow Onion
2 Garlic Cloves
Salt/pepper
Olive Oil
(canned stewed tomatoes - I did not use this but should have!)

Cut a circle around the top stem of the green pepper, pull out. Cut green pepper in half so that you will have two "round shapes". Cut small hole in bottom as well. Clean out insides, but do I really need to tell you that? Chop the bottom of the green pepper if wanted and add to sauteed veggies.

Julianne squash and carrots. Chop onion and garlic.

On a heated and oiled pan, cook Squash, carrots, onions, garlic, ends of the green pepper and sautee! Also, add a bit of canned and stewed tomatoes if using - I recommend it!

Put the two chunky circular slices of green pepper in the same bowl (or different if you want that many dishes) you cooked the potatoes in. With a shallow bit of water, on medium high, these should be done in 6 or 7 minutes.

When all is done, scoop mashed potatoes onto a plate, add an empty green pepper, scoop julianed veggies into green pepper and also decorate around the mashed potatoes with the julianed veggies.

There is so much you can do here. Sub zucchini for squash, add green beans - so much you can do. Make this your own and have fun! Perhaps adding some couscous or bread crumbs? This dish is so pretty by the way!

Spinach, Mushroom and Garlic Mashed Potatoes

3 small potatoes
3 small new potatoes
2 medium florets of cauliflower
small handful of fresh spinach
few mushrooms - I used 3 large ones
2 garlic cloves
a bit of olive oil
Salt/fresh ground pepper
tablespoon of vegan margarine
tablespoon of vegan cream cheese
a bit of soy milk

Peel 2 of the three potatoes, wash and cut. Clean and cut new potatoes. Clean and cut cauliflower. Place all in boiling water on stove.

Rip or chop fresh spinach, chop mushrooms and garlic.

When potatoes and cauliflower is done, drain and transfer to bowl. I used a whisk to mash and mix after adding a tablespoon of vegan margarine, vegan cream cheese and a bit of soy milk. Then start in with a handheld mixer, get it smooth, but for sure leave those red and brown skins!

Sautee the spinach, mushrooms and garlic until done.

Fold the sauteed veggies into the mashed potatoes, fresh ground pepper and salt that dish, serve hot!

This is all so good with some fabulous crusty bread, I did not have time. Golden Globes are on and I HAVE to see those dresses and hair!

Let me know what you do with this and how it turns out!
Posted by Urban, Yuppy, Hippy

feeds 2 with some left over veggies and potatoes

Last edited by cr1039; 01-11-2009 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: left over note

Old 01-13-2009, 03:54 PM

The tart is posted on the food pics thread.

Tonight I am making curried chick pea stew with brown basmati rice and (first time for me!) home made pita bread (I thought about doing naan, but was trying to make this meal vegan).

Old 01-14-2009, 01:25 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,151 times
Tonight was Veggie enchiladas (using Morningstar crumbles) - sooooooo goooood!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 PM

I was about to ask for "inspiration"....and then I saw cr1039's potato recipe!

I have potatoes, cauliflower and spinach on hand. Yay. I may top with some sort of toasted seed/nut for a bit more protein (pinenuts or sesame seeds?)

Thanks CD veggies!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Potato/cauliflower was a hit!
I had the leftovers for lunch after a cold winter run and they really hit the spot.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:48 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,184,624 times
Tonight is patty melts with nice big seeded rolls and veggie burgers. Prepare a Hain's or another vegetarian brown gravy mix (in those little paper envelopes) and add a small 4oz can of mushrooms. Stir and heat. Add a little less water than called for so the mushroom gravy is thick (include the water from the mushroom can). Prepare the veggie burgers as directed in a microwave. When done add a slice of Swiss cheese on top and heat a few more seconds until the cheese begins to melt. Place the cheese topped burger on the roll and top with a generous amount of the mushroom sauce. I enjoy this with lightly toasted rolls. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food