Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,352 times

Advertisements

This recipe was inspired by a recent meal hubby and I had while out with friends. We had a delicious but only somewhat satisfying "roasted veggie/black bean/pasta dish" at Canyon Cafe. I wanted to take a shot at a more healthful and substantial meal...so here is the impressive recipe!

Ingredients

1 zucchini
2 stalks of celery
1 head of broccoli
3 large white button mushrooms
10 asparagus stalks
1/4 red pepper
3 cloves of garlic
1/5 white onion
1 can of black beans
2 bay leaves
Olive oil
cumin/salt/pepper
Soy sauce
enough pasta for 2 people

Crush and chop 2 cloves of garlic and cook on medium with olive oil in the pan you will cook the black beans in. Add black beans and 2 bay leaves. Sprinkle a bit of pepper and cumin in. Reduce heat and cover, stirring occasionally until ready to serve. The bay leaves and cumin were awesome and did their job adding a smokey and substantial taste to the beans.

Chop broccoli, celery, zucchini, mushrooms, onions and red pepper into preferred bite sized pieces.

Start cooking pasta.

Sautee broccoli with olive oil and when ready, add chopped other, softer, veggies. Add the other 2 garlic cloves, chopped. Add olive oil, soy sauce and continue to cook.

Clean asparagus, cut a bit off the bottom stalks and blanch for about 6 or 7 minutes.

Alright, everything should be finishing up about now...

Drain pasta, return to pot and toss either with olive oil or vegan margarine.

Plate pasta on plate, add veggies, black beans and lay asparagus over the top. Hubby said the presentation looked gourmet and I have to agree - this may be the next "having company over" meal. It was lovely, the house smelled increadible and the meal was healthy and satisfying.

The veggies and beans were plenty for Hubby and I for dinner plus left overs for Hubby. I think though with a bit of extra veggies and pasta, the one can of beans would be plenty for a group of 4. Posted by Urban, Yuppy, Hippy at Sunday, March 22, 2009 0 comments Links to this post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:56 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Slow-cooker cabbage soup, with lots of black pepper, Italian herb blend and granulated garlic added. I woke up early, giving me time to chop veggies, and it was 20 frikkin' degrees outside. What better choice for tonight?

2 carrots, scrubbed and sliced into coins
2 ribs celery, scrubbed and sliced into horseshoes
1/3 head cabbage, chopped
1 can of garbanzo beans w/liquid
1 can of corn w/liquid
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 big box of organic vegetable broth
2 big glasses of water
3 Tbsps instant onion soup

I eat this with sea-salt-flavored bagel chips. It cures what ails you.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:38 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
I made an indian curry dish with garbanzo beans, onions, garlic, curry etc. over brown rice and with some indian bread (not homemade). Very yummy. To go with that I made us a mango shake with frozen mango (from TJ), hemp milk and a little agave syrup.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,235,512 times
Lots of great ideas here, must try some some time, thanks.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Slow-cooker cabbage soup, with lots of black pepper, Italian herb blend and granulated garlic added. I woke up early, giving me time to chop veggies, and it was 20 frikkin' degrees outside. What better choice for tonight?

2 carrots, scrubbed and sliced into coins
2 ribs celery, scrubbed and sliced into horseshoes
1/3 head cabbage, chopped
1 can of garbanzo beans w/liquid
1 can of corn w/liquid
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 big box of organic vegetable broth
2 big glasses of water
3 Tbsps instant onion soup

I eat this with sea-salt-flavored bagel chips. It cures what ails you.
Mmm, sounds great! Must try this, although summer is nearly on it's way here in Texas! We are new fans of cabbage so it is nice to learn new ways to cook with it.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,588 times
I made hummus, w/ tumric
chopped Fresh Kale Steamed w/ water and sesame oil
add some cooked Kale to my hummus
toasted Ezikial pita bread
spread the hummus/w Kale on the pita
and topped w/ sliced tomatoes
a great veggie pizza with lots of flavor!!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:57 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Tonight I made vegetarian pot pie. It was delicious! One of the things I had worried about when giving up meat was that I would never get to eat a pot pie again.
So glad I can say I was wrong!
Loved it. I got it off veg web . com

On a side note, I received my 'getting started' mag from PETA today. I was a bit afraid to read it, thinking it would be filled with 'shock' pictures. It wasn't - though they certainly were clear about what animals face in the meat industry. I am glad that I made this choice, it has been a lot easier then I thought it would have been.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 AM

814 posts, read 2,306,801 times
vegan pho (vietmanese beef noodle soup)

i don't measure, i approximate when cooking.

substitute beef stock with vegetable and put in chinese five spice powder, little natural sugar, and salt to the taste you prefer. i also use a little sesame oil but this is optional. bring to boil.

i also put in vegetarian beef soup balls which you can purchase at most asian or vietnamese markets. these will be soybased but be similar in taste to the nonvegetarian. this is also optional.

you can use spagetti noodles if you prefer which i do, otherwise you can get pho noodles from most asian markets or something similar. start water boiling for noodles first especially for spagetti as it takes longer to cook. other (rice) noodles cook like instant and have to be careful to not overcook.

cook noodles separately and said aside to cool.

as for vegetables it's up to you. arrange fresh bean sprouts, diced scallions, diced jalapenos, cilantro, mint, and basil leaves on separate plate. also, fresh lime in halves or quarters to squeeze on top of your soup if you like the taste.

after you boil the vege meatballs (sliced if you prefer) in broth (it's meatballs are precooked so it doesn't need to be cooked, just boiled enough to infuse flavor), ladle broth into bowl with amount of noodles proportioned in bottom. you eat it like this putting the fresh veges into the soup as it cooks slightly within the still hot or warm broth. i love the basil leaves, cilantro, mint and scallions the most but you can experiement what you like.

this is a simple and quick dish to make. you can also use condiments such as fish sauce(used like salt) or hot sauce as well.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
I am making Tempeh strips in Peanut sauce with brown rice and snow peas.

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-14-2009, 05:12 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
This is kinda a cross post, so sorry, but I wanted to revive the Veggie "what's for Dinner" thread.

I am making a spicy black-eyed pea and rice casserole from one of my favorite veggie cookbooks:

Amazon.com: 3 Bowls : Vegetarian Recipes from an American Zen Buddhist Monastery: Seppo Ed Farrey, Nancy O'Hara: Books

It includes kale, sweet potato and chipotle peppers. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food