Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 10:28 AM

134 posts, read 317,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
This is kinda a cross post, so sorry, but I wanted to revive the Veggie "what's for Dinner" thread.

I am making a spicy black-eyed pea and rice casserole from one of my favorite veggie cookbooks:

Amazon.com: 3 Bowls : Vegetarian Recipes from an American Zen Buddhist Monastery: Seppo Ed Farrey, Nancy O'Hara: Books

It includes kale, sweet potato and chipotle peppers. Yum.
Nice one! We need to try this!

We cheated last night and got some awesome veggie sadwiches from a nearby restaurant (Ripe Eatery in West El Paso).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 03:06 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
Default Stuffed Bell Peppers

Here's a crowd pleasing dish I've made many times. It is so good, I believe due to the mushrooms and cheese in the filling. This is taken from the book Vegetarian Creations, S.K. Publications, ISBN: 978-0-9182-2426-2. This is my favorite cookbook full of wonderful dishes made with mostly everyday ingredients Vegetarian Creations: Arlene Muska, Valerie Poole: Books: DealOz

Notes: 1. This recipe is for 12 stuffed pepper halves (6 green peppers). I make the filling as described but only make 6 stuffed halves. I freeze the filling not used for another day and another 3 green peppers. 2. 6 stuffed pepper halves fit nicely 2X3 in a 1 1/2 qt. rectangular baking dish. I cover it with aluminum foil when baking. 3. I've always used freshly grated cheddar cheese in place of the mozzarella or muenster specified in the recipe - some day I'll have to try them 4. Good rice makes a big difference - I use Jasmine. I made this once with instant rice and the result was quite different and disappointing. 5. The well filled pepper halves are large and filling and I think two make a hearty serving. Serve with hot crusty bread.

Stuffed Bell Peppers

An entree to please vegetarians and non vegetarians alike, these green pepper halves are generously filled with rice, vegetables and cheese.

6 large green bell peppers
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup granular textured vegetable protein (TVP)
3 tbsp butter or vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
12 fresh mushrooms, chopped
3 cups cooked rice
2 cups shredded mozzarella or muenster cheese
2 1/4 cups marinara sauce
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cut peppers in half lengthwise, remove stems. Remove seeds and cut away cores, leaving peppers intact. Bring approximately 2 inches of water to boil in a large pot. Place peppers in pot, cut-side up. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 to 15 minutes until pepper halves are tender but retain their shape. Drain.

In a small bowl, pour 1/2 cup boiling water over dry TVP. Set aside.

Melt butter or heat vegetable oil in a skillet. Add onion and saute until soft. Add mushrooms and saute a few more minutes.

Combine cooked rice, 1 cup of the cheese and 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce in a large bowl. Add moistened TVP, onion and mushrooms, mixing well. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pour remaining 2 cups marinara sauce into a large casserole with a cover or two smaller baking dishes with covers. Arrange pepper halves cut-side up on top of sauce. Spoon filling into peppers. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese over filling.

Bake covered at 325 deg F for 35 minutes.

Note: This dish can be prepared in advance and refrigerated, in which case baking time should be adjusted accordingly.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:26 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
We were vegan tonight.

After a trip to the large international market yesterday, I had fresh tasty ingredients to play with.

I made soba noodles, adzuki beans with ginger and spinach, and a 'salad" of grated daikon radish and beets tossed with sesame oil/rice wine vinegar. I just piled a bit of everything in a bowl and topped with toasted sesame seeds. I feel both very full and very healthy.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:36 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
I made a strange version of a shepherd's pie tonight. Made smashed potatoes, added earth balance and a little soy milk to the potatoes to make them creamy and a little hot sauce and salt. Then I heated a little olive oil, fried lots of onions and added some of the trader Joes spicy sausage (veggie!), corn and peas and layered the smashed potatoes and this mixture in a casserole dish. It was very good, I'll be making this again, tasty and cheap to make.
I am not usually a fan of the "fake meats" but a little of this stuff made this a great meal. I buy one package and it has two of the "sausages" in it, only need one per meal.

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-23-2009, 08:11 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,847 times
We were way to tired to cook so tonight was a frozen meal from Kashi - rice, veggies, and mango. Vegan and tasted pretty good.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:51 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I made a strange version of a shepherd's pie tonight. Made smashed potatoes, added earth balance and a little soy milk to the potatoes to make them creamy and a little hot sauce and salt. Then I heated a little olive oil, fried lots of onions and added some of the trader Joes spicy sausage (veggie!), corn and peas and layered the smashed potatoes and this mixture in a casserole dish. It was very good, I'll be making this again, tasty and cheap to make.
I am not usually a fan of the "fake meats" but a little of this stuff made this a great meal. I buy one package and it has two of the "sausages" in it, only need one per meal.

did you bake it for awhile in the casserole dish?

Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 PM

It was already "cooked" so I just heated it for about 10 minutes.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 PM

Tonight I made a vegan quiche, with broccoli, onion, garlic and tofu and a crust made of half whole wheat flour, half spelt flour, tasted better than I expected. The tofu had a little mustard and spices mixed in it to give it flavor. Next time I will try it with spinach and lots of garlic instead.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Tonight's Dinner; Big Gal Chili Mac

While searching this website I came across a kiddo friendly meal called "chili mac". The meal is considered a childhood favorite of the blog author, although I never remember eating it as a child. I decided to make a "big gal" version and also to add some of the veggies in my fridge, carrot and celery. I also went with ziti, a big gal pasta. I cut out the kale, as I did not have any and also added a splash of soy milk. So, this is a chili mac inspired dish - enjoy!

Ingredients
1 can of corn
1 can of kidney beans
3 cups of ziti
1 celery rib
1 large carrot
1/2 cup of red sauce
1/4 white onion
1/4 red pepper
1 table spoon of nutritional yeast
splash of soy milk
olive oil
pinch of cumin
garlic salt
pepper

Chop celery, onions, carrot and red pepper. Begin to saute in a hot olive oiled pot.

Bring a pot of water to a boil and begin to cook the ziti.

After about 5 minutes, add red sauce to vegetables, stir and cover for a few minutes. Then, add drained and rinsed corn, kidney beans, nutritional yeast, cumin, garlic salt, pepper and a splash of soy milk. Stir and cover. Add more red sauce if needed. Cook for 10 minutes on low heat, stirring often. Drain pasta.

Serve "Big Gal Chili" over the Ziti. Hubby loved this dish, as did I. It was hearty, had a good mix of crunch with the ziti, and of course was very easy to make...after a 7am-9pm day by the way. There is not much clean up here plus I have a lunch for tomorrow, so please keep that in mind if you make this for 2...

Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,847 times
Tonight was a Korean spread of spinach, cucumber, and pepper kimche wih rice and marinated seitan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food