Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,352,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Inexpensive and delicious. (Can't tell I'm a curry fan, can you?)

Tomato-Lentil Curry Stew

INGREDIENTS
1-1/2 cups dry lentils
3 cups water
15 ounces stewed tomatoes
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons chopped onion
6 stalks celery, chopped, with leaves
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
9 cloves garlic, minced
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Combine lentils and water, bring to a boil.
Lower heat to simmer, add tomatoes, onion, and celery. Cover and let simmer 45 minutes. Check every 15 minutes to stir, and add water if necessary. Add spices last 15 minutes to taste. Taste and re-spice if necessary before serving.
I was just going to go looking for a recipe for lentil curry - what a coincidence!! Last night I tried my hand at eggplant curry and it was amazingly good. Best way I have ever had eggplant hands down.

Here's the recipe I based my version on - I sliced the eggplants in half and put them cut side down on a pam-sprayed foil lined cookie sheet and baked for about 30 minutes @ 425 degrees. The flesh of the eggplant slipped right out of the skin with the help of a tablespoon, and then I cut it into cubes. I also used fresh grated ginger and fresh crushed garlic - skipped the jalapeno because of the kids, but won't bother next time (they only ate the rice, papadums, and mango chutney I served with the curry). This will be a regular on our dinner table, that's for sure - very easy to prepare and so flavorful (and filling, thankfully!).

Baingan Bharta (Eggplant Curry) - Allrecipes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 04:48 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,902,363 times
Oooh--tonight is mystery freezer entree! I made a dinner eons ago and then froze the leftovers. Now I can't remember what it is. Something with quinoa, I think.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Made Asian noodles (udon noodles with sesame oil, Braggs and honey), the last few mini egg rolls in the freezer, and broccoli.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:32 PM

393 posts, read 1,495,763 times
I've been obsessed with Mexican food lately so I made enchiladas filled with queso fresco (soft, mild Mexican cheese) and topped with made-from-scratch enchilada sauce and a little monterey jack.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,735,319 times
A quick and easy dinner for very little moola.

I sauteed garlic, celery, carrots, onion, and cauliflower in a bit of olive oil until onions were translucent. I then added a tablespoon of garam marsala, a teaspoon of tumeric, a half teaspoon of cumin, and a teaspoon of curry and stirred until fragrant.

I added a can of vegetarian lentil soup and heated it for about five minutes.

Quick, cheap, and very tasty.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 15,384 times
Earlier this evening, I made spaghetti.....garlic and mushroom sauce, threw in a can of assorted veggies//mushrooms//spices.....garlic toast.... it was a quick dinner but running off to brother's to see the game.... my team is losing.... lol..but dinner was YUMMY!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:02 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,857,986 times
We had a nice dinner of Tom yum kung (a Thai dish) made with silken tofu instead of prawns. My fading omni wife (who gets a little more veg every day) even remarked that she likes it better with tofu.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM

Made "Cheddar Tomato Dumplings" and a spinach salad. Saute two tbsp. chopped onion and one tbsp. chopped bell pepper in two tbsp. oil. Add in two tbsp. flour, then 28 oz. chopped tomatoes, tbsp. minced celery leaves, tsp. sugar, half tsp. salt, some pepper and simmer. Then make dumplings with half cup shredded cheddar cheese and put them in the tomatoes, cover, and cook 20 min.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:11 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,173,329 times
Pigs in a Blanket made with Smart Dogs and Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. Ketchup and mustard for dipping. Bush's vegetarian baked beans. And including a fine recent vintage (last week) root beer

Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,857,986 times
Tonight its veggie lasagna with lots of zucchini, squash, onions, etc. Its baking now...mmm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food